PKR My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee

It’s been a while since I did an update. My Patellofemoral PKR was done 9 years ago this past March. I’m amazed it has lasted this long, I didn’t think I’d get through the first 2 years. I still have all the problems I did back then, but it’s been manageable. Even a fall on it, several years ago, didn’t damage it. So, for me, good enough seems to be good enough. :flwrysmile:
 
I hate that your knee isn't better than what it is. At least, you have accepted that it is what it is! So many of us expect our new knees to feel like they did when you were a kid. It ain't gonna happen! As long as we can do the things we love to do after having a joint replacement is the best outcome we can hope for! :console2:
 
I’m sorry too, @Jockette. But you have handled this situation well and found ways to enjoy the things you love even with some discomfort. You know things change in the orthopedic world and if you ever decide to go get another consultation, I’m always here to help you find someone to talk with. :console2:
 
Testing images. For anyone reading this post can you let me know if you can see the image? Thanks!

[Bonesmart.org] My Drama Queen Patellofemoral Knee
 
I finally made an appointment for my fourth second opinion. My balance has gotten really bad and I had a minor fall recently. Thankfully I didn’t get hurt. I can’t tell you how many times I have almost fallen, but managed to reach something to keep me upright. My knee continues to feel worse so I did some major googling. I got some great information to consider and ask this next surgeon about. Every symptom I plugged into google, the AI response validated it and told me why I had that symptom. It even recommended a complex revision surgeon. I have higher hopes for this appointment than I did for the others, with this new knowledge, and words to use to convey my problems. With the exception of my worsening balance, all the other symptoms are the same as I’ve told my original surgeon, and my previous three second opinions, and none of them would look past my basic X-ray. Hopefully this time I’ll get some help.
 
Yes I can see the image of CB and I wish you success in your next appointment. We are all with you and please keep us posted. When the appointment and I hope you get a scan too. Thinking of you.
 
Every symptom I plugged into google, the AI response validated it and told me why I had that symptom. It even recommended a complex revision surgeon.
Glad you were able to do a deep dive like this. (But don't tell the new surgeon you used Dr Google for your research! :heehee: )
 
Jockette,
I'm sorry your balance is feeling off. It has to be a little unnerving. Thankfully your fall was minor and you weren't hurt. I hope you're using an assistive device for safety while you're struggling with these episodes.

It's great you're seeking an additional perspective. I think you already had your second opinion though, :heehee: there was only one, then your third opinion, this would technically just be another opinion, your fourth opinion.
Stated with love. :wink:

I hope this surgeon, listens intently, understands your concerns, has some insight the other's haven't and is able to help resolve the issues you've experienced since your PKR. Kudos to you for addressing this. I know you've been reluctant. After three attempts, your hesitation is understandable. Let's hope this appointment is the one that provides some much needed clarity. :prayer:
 
(But don't tell the new surgeon you used Dr Google for your research! :heehee: )
Or maybe go back to the original sources.
I often use AI for my initial trawl of the internet- but check back to the source material. I have then quoted that in medical consultations. Like a recent cardiology consultation for my husband, I queried something and referenced some new European guidelines. We then had a good discussion on why he felt these were too interventionist.
I can see the images fine.
 
Good luck! I hope you get some definitive answers to your longstanding issues.
I am sorry your balance seems to be deteriorating.
 
Wishing you better luck with your fourth second opinion, Jockette, along with answers and solutions. I've been plowing through this whole topic, reading about your frustrations thru the years. Ugh.
 
@alex_mom The last 9 years have been so difficult, with this knee. Many times I was blamed for not doing enough PT (like that fixes everything) or not seeing more surgeons for help, and even for giving up, when I was just trying to cope with all the difficulties and the times I was ignored by the surgeons I had seen. It has all been very discouraging. It’s hard enough coping with the physical disabilities all these years, none of which I had before the surgery, but the lack of support from some others just makes it worse.

But I’m at a point now where something has to change. I don’t know how this new surgeon can hear all my issues and not agree to some better tests, and finding a solution for me. I am hoping he will schedule a Rotational CT scan. None of my previous surgeons would order any advanced tests on my knee.
 
Jockette - Even after seven months of this L-TKR journey, I understand your frustration. How you have made it this many years is unfathomable. I truly hope you can get answers and help! Write all the questions down (as if you don't already know that) and stick to the script.

I'm starting to get depressed for short moments and am hanging on to hope like a life preserver. And my other knee is hurting more and more, each week. I really am glad the surgeon who did the TKR doesn't like to do two knees at the same time. I cannot imagine if both mine were like this. In fact, whenever I get the second one done, I might ask for the fat pad to be removed.
 
Write all the questions down (as if you don't already know that) and stick to the script.
Amazingly, my first second opinion literally took my notes out of my hand and set them out of my reach and said, just tell me. So much for taking my questions with me. I was so flustered at that point I could hardly think. That whole appointment was so awful, and, my husband was with me. Neither one of us could believe how badly it went. This was 15 months after my surgery and we were still so new to the experience we weren’t sure of anything.

The next opinion, not quite a year later, was better. He was nice, and attentive and discussed every item on my list, all of which I still have, but still no help. I asked him if he performs Patellofemoral partials and he said no. He said surgeons are on the fence about partials and not all will do them. At that point I was hoping I just needed more time to heal. Well, nothing has gotten better after 9 years. Now my symptoms are much worse and I’m often one step away from a fall. I guess I had to get way worse, to get any hope of help.
 
Write all the questions down (as if you don't already know that) and stick to the script.
Amazingly, my first second opinion literally took my notes out of my hand and set them out of my reach and said, just tell me.
My questions for any medical visit (usually the dermatologist) are on the NOTES app on my phone. A doctor better not grab it out of my hands.
 
am hoping he will schedule a Rotational CT scan. None of my previous surgeons would order any advanced tests on my knee.
Here's hoping. Presumably a tracking problem could explain the joint feeling "off" all these years. And if it was gradually worsening it could also affect your balance.
I think joint alignment is very hard to measure in straight pictures and even apparently minor abnormalities can be significant.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom