TKR Muscle spasms<

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sbcamp,

What you are experiencing sounds very similar to what I experienced during my first 8-10 weeks. I especially noticed it at night as I was trying to relax and get to sleep. I was told it was related to the healing process, especially that associated with muscles and nerves healing. As new nerve connections are made, it was causing the muscles to twitch which then caused a cascade of activity until I was in a full blown spasm! Only thing I found gave relief was massage or getting up and walking a bit (part of the reason I didn’t get much sleep at night during all those weeks)!

It should get better. I haven’t really had any issues for several weeks now, except for when I overdo things.

Yes, does sound similar. I usually get to sleep and after about 2 hours I wake up with it spasming. Then I am up for the next 2-3 hours working it out. Needless to say a full nights sleep is not something I have had since before surgery. How far out after surgery are you now?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
@sbcamp,
I’ll be 4 months post-op on August 16th. I can say that the last 4 weeks or so have been the best so far. Seldom have issues with sleep. Most times don’t have any pain issues, when I do it’s usually due to overdoing it with yard work or whatever. At my 12 week checkup, my OS gave me the ok to do “whatever” but “within reason”. When I asked what that meant, he said to listen to my knee. When it complains after a certain activity, then back off and give it a rest. Logical, huh?
 
Sounds logical to me. I look forward to those nights.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
So on a new topic about TKR is the scar tissue. My incision is raised quite a bit. Thoughts in how to help it reduce in size?

[Bonesmart.org] Muscle spasms<


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@sbcamp your scar looks just like mine did at roughly 3-4 weeks. I didn’t have any staples or stitches, my OS used surgical glue to seal the outer skin. I was able to get my scar to lay flat by gentle massage and pressing down all along the length of the scar. Of course I didn’t do that until the sensitivity had reduced to a point where I could tolerate doing it. I remember one day I was massaging and pressing down on it in the manner my PT showed me when I felt and heard a “pop” just like when you pop bubble wrap! The area I had been working on was suddenly noticeably flatter! It didn’t hurt at all, just felt a little weird when it happened. I proceeded to work my way down my scar, “popping” as I went along! In a matter of just a few minutes, my scar was all flat! Couldn’t believe it. I have no idea what happened, but if you look at my knee now, you can barely see the scar line!
 
Thanks, I’ve been massaging it but no popping yet. I will keep at it. The swelling is down quite a bit and while it is still a little warm it’s doing pretty well over all. My biggest problem at the moment is knowing I need to take it easy and not having the patience to just sit. I have been out of work for 3 weeks and have a couple more off but am going stir crazy. Not really in a hurry to go back to work but not having anything to do is getting old fast.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Hi all

I am now 3 1/2 weeks post-op. I am able to get around without an assistive aid most of the time. I am still using a cane when out if the house. However, am not able to do stairs in a reciprocative manner. I know all of this takes time but feeling frustrated with not being able to do more than I can. I am finding more than a few minutes up and my leg feels like its swelling or tightening up. If I sit for more than half an hour or so the knee gets so stiff. Sleep is a challenge because I can’t lay in any one position for too long before the knee aches.

I have pretty good ROM so I think its lack of strength. I am wondering how long before others were able to do stairs. Also can you kneel or at least get up and down off the floor? Would like to do some yoga as I think it would help concerned about ability to get up from the floor.

Thanks!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
It will be a while yet before you can do steps like an adult. I was about 3 months. Of course, it had been over 20 years before the surgery that I hadn't done it like a grown up! But, your knee is still an infant, less than 1 month out of a years long recovery.
 
Thanks for the reminder @sistersinhim. It just amazes me how different this knee has been as compared to my right knee I had done 5 years ago.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I get cramp in my lower legs at night, and manage it taking Quinine occasionally. Tonic water has quinine in it, you could try a drink of it before bed.
 
Seems like I have a good day then the next not so good. Wednesday was the first day I woke up without pain and was in pretty good shape most of the day. Yesterday it was a little sore and today I woke in pain and have been uncomfortable all day. I had PT this morning and was able to walk on the treadmill for about 10 mins at a slow speed (1.8) then did a few stretches and she did some ultrasound on the back of my knee because it is where I was feeling most of my pain. I’ve spent most of my day with my leg elevated because its been so uncomfortable. Wish I didn’t feel like it was one day forward and two days back.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Unfortunately, what you are feeling is completely normal. We'd get a taste of a lower pain day, and then bam!, the next day or two are painful again. It's like dangling a carrot in front of us, as the old saying goes! I think when we feel some better, we do a little more and not even realize it. Sometimes, our nighttime movements can cause us to hurt the next day. I've always been a restless sleeper, and this surgery really makes one restless! Just continue to listen to your knee and let it be boss. Before you know it, you'll be boss over it again! But, don't try it too soon or you'll be sorry!
 
@Josephine. I just read the nighttime pain relief post about using a plastic wrap. Have you had anyone report if it also helps when wearing long pants?

The lateral side of my knee is sensitive and the one time I tried to wear a pair of long pants it was mist uncomfortable as well as it caused swelling. I have been managing to get by wearing shorts while out on leave but when I start back to work in another week I will need to be able to wear long pants and am trying to figure out a solution besides just time as time is running out for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
The lateral side of my knee is sensitive and the one time I tried to wear a pair of long pants it was mist uncomfortable as well as it caused swelling.
I have a similar feeling on my lower lateral side every time I wear pants, or even shorts long enough to skim the area.

Mine feels like something big and hard swells up in the knee, but no visible swelling on the outside. It is extremely unpleasant.

What does yours feel like?

I had a lateral release done during the surgery, but I didn’t know that until I got my operative report after my one year check up.

I’m sorry to say I’m 17 months post op and still have this awful feeling in my knee.
 
@Jockette. There is a strange tingly feeling that starts at the knee and runs down the lateral side of my lower leg. Also it feels as though its bruised but there is no visible bruising. The one time I have worn long pants for a couple hours the knee did swell and I had a hard time getting them off the leg.

There is also a large numbness on the lateral side if my knee that starts just above midline of the knee and reaches all the way to the outer edge of the back of my knee and down 6 to 7 inches on the lateral side of my knee.

I have small numb area on my the lateral side of my right knee from when I had a TKR about 5 years ago. Feeling has never come back but its only a 2x2” area but the left knee has such a larger area and is so much more sensitive than the right knee ever was.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Josephine. I just read the nighttime pain relief post about using a plastic wrap. Have you had anyone report if it also helps when wearing long pants?
Try it and see and then we'll know!
There is a large numbness on the lateral side if my knee
Everyone who has ever had a TKR has this - read this Numb area after TKR: how long will it last?
There is a strange tingly feeling that starts at the knee and runs down the lateral side of my lower leg. Also it feels as though its bruised but there is no visible bruising.
Show me where this pain is using this chart

[Bonesmart.org] Muscle spasms<
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom