Guest viewing is limited

TKR Muscle spasms<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your discomfort is very different from mine.

I dread cooler weather coming as last winter I was so uncomfortable in pants.
 
@Jockette can you describe your discomfort more? I am dreading the idea if wearing long pants starting in about a week.


@Josephine. My numbness runs from LF4 C to LF4 F and to LF4 C to LB4C


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
And I see that you are in Maine. It’s way colder there than Delaware where I am!

When I have pants on it feels like my thigh bone is bare wood and my shin bone is bare wood, and they scrape together when they bend as I walk. There is a feeling of a hard ball inside my knee that is swelling. It’s an awful feeling and hard to ignore. It is especially noticeable on the lower lateral side of my knee, like someone has jammed a hunk of wood into my knee at that point and left it there. :bawl:
 
@Jockette. Yes our experience is quite different but I am still only about 5 weeks out after surgery. I know this all takes time but so helpful to hear what others experience.

Yes I am in Maine. We have had a much warmer and more humid August than we are accustomed to. Much closer to what I believe you experience.

I see from Josephines post that she hasn’t heard if the saran wrap idea works when wearing long pants but I think I may try it. Of course, I wonder if I will feel like I am suffocating if I have a hot flash. Its a cool rainy day here today. I think I will give it a try to see if it has any effect.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I have never done the Saran Wrap thing.

I did try some kinesio tape last spring. We were thinking my issue could be my patella mal tracking. The tape did help initially, but then I put on a pair of denim capris that were a slimmer cut in the leg and a new stiffer denim and my knee immediately got very upset. On another attempt with the tape I got a bad skin reaction to it. It seems I just can’t win with this knee.

Last December I put on a pair of knee high stockings. They were new and the top band was a little snugger than my older ones. Immediately it felt like sharp spikes were being driven into my knee all around in a circle!! Unbelievable! I couldn’t get the stocking off fast enough.

So my thought is that it is nerve damage. Maybe it’s the spot where the lateral release was done. I don’t know exactly where they do that.

All I know is that I didn’t have this problem before my PARTIAL replacement. (those are supposed to be so much quicker to recover from)

I am so sorry I had this surgery. It’s been 17 long months. I was much better off with what I now realize was only mediocre arthritis pain. Nothing like hind sight, right?
 
All I know is that I didn’t have this problem before my PARTIAL replacement. (those are supposed to be so much quicker to recover from)
But they aren't! In spite of the advertising, it usually takes just as long to recover from a partial as from a total knee replacement.
 
@Jockette. Yes hindsight can be educational at times. I was just talking to someone yesterday about a partial knee replacement. I was wondering if folks who have a partial eventually end up with TKR. Seems like so much is similar.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
But they aren't! In spite of the advertising, it usually takes just as long to recover from a partial as from a total knee replacement.
I know that now. My heart sinks every time someone posts in the pre op forum that they are getting a partial.
I was wondering if folks who have a partial eventually end up with TKR.
It is my understanding that most do. :blackcloud:

Before surgery it was my understanding that I was catching my arthritis early and this partial was all I’d ever need. Between what my surgeon’s office did and did not say, I expected a 2-3 month recovery. What a total let down this has been for me.
 
I am so sorry to hear this. You’d think they were selling you a bill of good instead of helping you make a good medical decision. I have also learned every knee experience is different even on the same person. My left knee journey now is so different than my right was.

@Josephine. So I decided I’d test out the saran wrap theory with a pair of pants. For me it was not a success nor would I imagine it be for sleeping. As soon as I wrapped my knee in the plastic wrap I started having tingling needle sensations and when I pulled on the pants it even got worse. So that idea lasted for about 5 mins and I was back in shorts. My leg continued to tingle for about a half hour after I removed the plastic wrap. Glad it works for some but not me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I think people use the Saran Wrap (I don’t know why my phone automatically capitalizes that?)

Anyway, I think people use it for the incision sensitivity.

I’m pretty sure my issue is a nerve issue. I have a nerve issue in the foot of my non operated leg that causes pain and discomfort just putting a sock on and a shoe makes it worse. Double whammy in the winter, my knee doesn’t like pants and my foot doesn’t like shoes. (And neither the foot or the leg it’s on has ever had surgery.). I did finally find a brand of shoe with a metatarsal footbed that my foot tolerates to an extent. It does like the open toed sandal with metatarsal footbed of the same brand. But even Delaware gets too cold for shorts and sandals outside in the winter.

So it seems my knee is doing the same thing my foot has been doing for the last 5 years. But I do believe my knee issue is a result of the surgery.
 
I actually used Gladwrap because it is lightly adhesive. I found it very uncomfortable to actually wrap it round my knee as it was difficult to make it so it didn't crease up when I attempted to bend my knee. Consequently, I cut off a piece just big enough to cover the problem area - about 2-3 inches in diameter for me - and it clung to my knee all night and did a perfect job! But all these problems are individual so my experience in no way compares to yours @sbcamp


My numbness runs from LF4 C to LF4 F
Like this?
[Bonesmart.org] Muscle spasms<



But LF4 C to LB4C does not 'compute'!
 
@Josephine yes like that but it also moves around towards the back of the knee where the knee bends which is what I was trying to say by the coordinates that didn’t compute.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@sbcamp Thank you for sharing your recovery story & questions. I am 6 days behind you and last night experienced my first night of full blown leg cramps. My quad muscle went crazy with the pain originating just above my knee on the lateral side. As I worked to relax it with a foam roller and massage, it traveled down my calf into my lower leg. OUCH! I finally took a muscle relaxer and dozed off to sleep after about 40 minutes. Your thread has been very helpful to read. Thank you! :flwrysmile:
 
My surgery was August 13th. I told the home nurse about the cramps I was having and she was surprised I wasn't prescribed some type of relaxant. I have 2 kinds of spasms. The one behind the knee is caused by motion. I will actually cramp up and not be able to move until the cramp eases. The second type is what I call "zingers". They come out of nowhere on the sides of my knee and sometimes on the top. They don't last long, but wow, are they intense! I sent an email to my OS and was prescribed Methocarbamol. It has made a huge difference! I'm taking it between 3 and 4 times a day. It's been keeping the spasms at bay and because it's a muscle relaxant, my muscles are less tight and I'm able to move a little better. Good luck to you.
 
It'll still be hamstring tendinitis. I've had it and it was just like that
 
@jospehine. Wondering what you might suggest for pain located LB4 D? I have been having an aching pain right directly behind the knee for a while now. It doesn’t seem to matter how much I do or don’t do. Ice, heat, exercise, massage. Nothing helps. This morning when I woke it is just throbbing. Everything else is doing great. I have decent ROM and things are healing nicely but behind the knee is excruciating.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thanks @SusieShoes I had talked to them a week or so after surgery but at that time it felt more like muscle spasms. That has gone away but this hasn’t and seems to be getting more painful. Sore to the touch. I was thinking I might call them today when they open but hate to be a complainer if it’s nothing.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Take it from someone who was married to a doctor... they’d rather you call. So many times I heard my husband say “I wish he/she had called about this sooner.” If it’s nothing, the doctor will say so and no harm is done. If it’s something the doctor would like to know about, though, you’ll have done both him and you a favor.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Back
Top Bottom