Guest viewing is limited

THR Muscle issues 3 months post op THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phillygirl, I hope you're feeling better soon. Good luck!
 
Awwww...Phillygirl....NO FAIR!!! I'm glad you have found the source of the problem, though. It sounds like your doc is on top of things and that's great. Do let us know how you're doing.....
 
Phillygirl at least you got feedback about what was causing the problem really do hope that the injection gives you some relief.
 
I am glad to have some answers but I still have problems with weak muscles and pain with walking any distance. I still also have alot of pain at the end of the day.The injection helped some it is not as painful to walk up stairs. You are right Forbesy it is very frustrating when you know it is not right and someone keeps trying to tell you nothing is wrong. I do not care who thinks I am wackadoodle. Which is the way you are treated if they cannot find anything wrong. It was very reassuring to have the Doctor at the University hospital tell me yes there is a problem. I pray you also get an answer. I have worked in medicine for 30 years it is not an exact science. Thank you all for the well wishes I will keep you updated.:thumb:
 
Re: Muscle issues 6 months post op THR

After reading all these threads with similar 3 month symptoms I decided to share my plight.
My pain started at 12 weeks. I was almost perfect. Not a pain anywhere, just needed some strengthening. PT added strengthening exercises. Routine was up to 1.5 hrs. Pain started that same evening. First & second weeks the pain stopped after 36 hours. By the 3rd week it became continuous. My Dr gave my hip a PERFECT bill of health. Because my quad did not have swelling, he said I likely have a strain or sprain in my quad; told me to back off and not do ANY exercise that causes ANY pain to my glut until the pain passes completely.
I may be wrong, but my gut says, going back to PT each week irritated the muscles to the point where they are now very weak. Maybe too much exercise or I was doing them wrong due to the weak muscles.
This just happened so I'll have to keep you posted.
~ ~ ~ stay tuned.
 
That is a lot of exercise for someone only three months out from major orthopedic surgery. I agree with your doc that you need to take a break and give yourself time to heal from this setback.

If your goal is to engage in a higher of level of physical activity, I'm happy to help you devise a more sensible plan to begin moving in that direction after you have recovered. It won't involve quite that volume of exercise to start with though.
 
Hello all, I wanted to update since I am 1 year post op. I have not posted in forever because I continued to have lateral hip pain and it was really getting to me. I still am better off then before surgery. I had a PRP injection into the IT band in January. It has really thickened they tell me beyond what you would expect. I have a tear in the gluteus medius tendon . I am back in PT and they have identified that I have weak muscles and have been compensating and we are working on strengthening. All this seeems to be helping so I finally am thinking this will resolve. I have always done my execises it just seems I need help with some. I am hoping to be able to walk on the beach this summer which I really missed last year. I am back to work of course which keeps me very busy. :happy dance::hapydancsmil:
 
Hi Phillygirl,

Congratulations on hitting the one year mark with your new hip, sorry that it is still causing you some painful issues. I have struggled with various soft tissue problems over the 10 months since my surgery and have found broken link removed: https://www.rolf.org/about to be helpful in assisting in some of the discomfort and muscle tightness I experience (including at the IT band and glute areas).

I have also experienced back issues that seem to be related in part to how my body has adapted to alignment changes in the gluteus medius. I have found that chiropractic adjustments on a weekly basis help with addressing both this muscle and low back muscles like the quadratus lumborum. Of course with the tendon tear you'd want to mention that prior to the start of any new treatments.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Just reading your updates Phillygirl and I am still having very similar issues but have been lax about letting my OS know. I have severe lower back pain, tenderness at the hips (both, I had bilateral) and pain down the It band to my knee, at first only right side, but now left also. I am 11 months post op. Surgery last June, went to PT until August, then again in October til end of year due to the IT band problem, still no relief. I am seeing a spine specialist in June, seeing my OS in June also. I am frustrated but blame myself some, for not seeking more help sooner. I am going to keep bugging the DR's until I get some help and answers. Good luck to you and I hope we both feel a lot better soon.
Mary Jane
 
Thank you Cardie and Mary Jane. I also had back issues after THR, I had an SI joint neurotomy in January that helped alot. As I mentioned I am in PT. I am also seeing a Chiropractor I went becasue I have had 2 shoulder surgeries and the OS offered me another I am trying to avoid this. The Chiro is trying to help me with hip and shoulder issues. Hopefully this will help. Seems like we have alot of the same muscle problems. I am doing better after the PRP and SI joint neurotomy but still have pain but it does not get as intense. I am going to keep working at it, I realise I am not a spring chicken but I am hoping things will still get a little better. Cardie I had looked into Rolfing there is nobody anywhere near me that does this which is surprising since i live in a major metro area. Thanks again.
 
Ok, I realize that your user name is Philly girl -- so just an assumption that you are in the Philadelphia area, I could be totally wrong.... Neither of these rolfers would be near you?

broken link removed: https://www.rolf.org/find/byLocation?city=philadelphia&state=&country=USA&name=

Take care and glad that you have a good chiropractor!!
Cardie
 
Hi Phyillygirl

congrats on the 12 month anniversary - my how time does fly... I wish for you a beach walk next summer :)
 
Hi Phillygirl, wondering how you are doing now, and if you got your pain issues resolved. I am still having mine, and am starting to search again for answers. Hope you are feeling great!
 
Hi phillygirl I suffer with bursitis in my hip and I know the pain is awful it started 4 year prior to my op and I was given the hip exercises we do post op off a pt honestly they do help not overnight but over time things start to get better I'm also a slow healer and you do get down and fed up but when things get me really disheartened and fed up I come on this wonderful site and read about people's experiences and tell mine it's surprising how it helps,
Things will get better might not be tomorrow but it will just do the exercises and follow the tips of the other hippies on here and you won't go far wrong
Take care and keep in touch
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom