Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Multiple Knee Replacements

Qball is out of juice. I have to just pull the catheter out.
I’ve called doc twice and they said I have to come in tomorrow if I’m still in this bad of pain.
They won’t adjust my meds at all. I’m terrified they’re going to be stingy when I need help with the pain.
Did any of you gave such sharp pain day 3-4?
I just hope this is normal.... omg

PT came yesterday. Just did paperwork, took vitals. Not very helpful. He says he’s coming back tomorrow but there’s literally nothing I will be able to do with him.
I don’t have a home nurse coming at all... just PT. I don’t know what kind of PT he is going to be
 
just PT. I don’t know what kind of PT he is going to be
You decide how PT goes, not him. With the pain you are in you don’t need a PT session. If it was me I’d cancel.

I’m so sorry you’re in so much pain and no help from your surgeon. That makes me angry. Might your family doctor help you? I think I would make the effort to go to your surgeon’s office tomorrow.
 
My PCP didnt think I should have the TKR because of my age and gave me a hard time about it and didn’t want to sign the medical clearance note that the surgeon needed even though I’m very healthy. So she will probably have an attitude like, well, you made your bed now lie in it

I think the surgeon’s PA just thinks I’m a wimp or something. She said, well, you’re going to have some pain!

Ummmm ya I know that! I can handle pain and I was expecting it but not to this level.
I’ll go in tomorrow if it doesn’t let up. Just sucks that I have to drag myself in there.

Did any of you feel day 3 and 4 were the worst??
 
Wow this saga just goes on and on. Can’t believe you are being treated like this in Rochester NY. I hope you are able to connect with someone who treats you with the compassion you deserve, and helps get you on the right recovery path.
 
I agree, it doesn’t seem your PCP will be much help.

Maybe the ER?
 
How many days did you all need a prescription for pain? I mean, 2 or 3 weeks seems reasonable, right??

@Softtail I do not live in NY anymore.
I live in South Carolina and had the surgery there. My first arthroscopic was in Rochester, partial and OATS were done in NYC, this one in SC
 
Everyone is different in how long they need prescription pain medication.

Call back yet again, or call your pharmacy, and ask them if you can add Tylenol with what you are taking. Many members found that the addition of Tylenol into the mix helped, as long as it was compatible with your current medication.
 
@Momma-me Day 3 when my pump ran dry the pain got really bad. My OS wouldn't authorize pain meds after 2 weeks even though I really needed them. Very frustrating as I got 6 weeks of pain meds with my ankle replacement and it was not nearly as brutal as my TKR.
 
@Momma-me , I am sorry you're in so much pain! Days 3 and 4 were most definitely the worst. That's when the pain injection he used wore off. My pain levels were definitely in the 8 - 10 range that first week. I had 10 mg Oxycontin for the first 2 weeks that I took twice/day. No refills on that. I also had 5 mg oxycodone that I could take as needed (and I did!). Neither of the oxy pain meds had any tylenol so I also took 1,000 mg of Tylenol every 4 hours (10 a.m., 2:00 p.m., 6:00 p.m., and 10:00 p.m.) The OS refilled the 5 mg oxycodone for me after the first 2 weeks and gave me a little more at my 6-week check up yesterday. Did he prescribe meloxicam or Celebrex for you? I had that, too, that I took at night. Set alarms so that you can stick with the pain medication. And I iced around the clock for the first 4 days after I got home. Don't forget to elevate. Are you bruising at all yet? I cried (sobbed actually) many times the first week.

I didn't know I had a hematoma until they removed the dressing and told me :(
 
@Irish471 thank you for your post. Makes me feel I’m ok; it helps to read others’ stories!

@Celle or @Josephine (or anyone else that knows more than me...)
My PT and surgeon are overly concerned that I’m icing “too much” and I’ll get stiff.
What is the recommendation for using ice? I know you say atleast 45 min but how many times per day? What about during night time?

I feel the amount I’m using is fine. I’m only 3 1/2 days out for crying out loud and last time I swelled so much for so long I’m trying to stay in top of it
 
@Momma-me Are you using ice packs or do you have an ice machine that circulates cold water through a sleeve you put on you knee? I had the ice machine and used it 24/7 for the first couple of weeks and 13 weeks in I still use it daily, particularly after exercise or any time it's achy.
 
I used an ice machine constantly as it felt good. I am 8 weeks now and use gel ice packs in a elastic wrap often. I think you are the best judge of your knee. I hope your pain subsides some, it’s awful the first few weeks!
 
My PT and surgeon are overly concerned that I’m icing “too much” and I’ll get stiff.
What is the recommendation for using ice? I know you say at least 45 min but how many times per day? What about during night time?
You won't do any harm at all if you ice for long periods, as long as you protect your skin by putting some material between the icing medium and the skin. You may get stiff through keeping your leg in one position, agreed, but it's not because of the icing.

I iced as frequently and for as long as I could.
I used to ice all night long, with no ill effects.

Do what feels best for you, and don't bother to discuss it with your surgeon and PT. If they ask, just tell them you're icing sensibly and then change the subject.
 
OMG!!!!!
I’m 4 days out from surgery. I asked for a refill of Oxycodone. Dr says they need to see me. After a hellish drive into the office, I shuffle by my OS with my walker with tears in my eyes from the pain, and guess what he says to me???
That I have a contracture and going to need a manipulation if I don’t work harder at extension. He said he’ll do manipulation and get flexion but he can’t help me with extension. And if I don’t want another surgery I better understand this.
So... his PA tells me to go in the exam room and put my foot/ankle up on a stool and left it there for about 10 min. to stretch it out and see if I could get full extension. It was very painful. But the PA came back in and saw that I had extension.
The OS ordered home PT 5 days a week. (Whattt???) The PT just called me and told me that the OS’s order said that I need to be pushed past the pain!
I am like.... what the heck??? I’m 4 days out!! What is going on???
I’m so furious right now I can’t see straight
 
Last edited:
@Momma-me, it amazes me the difference approaches our doctors take. My OS didn’t prescribe any home nurse or home PT after discharge from the hospital. I didn’t go back to see him until 2 weeks after surgery. Only instructions were the various home stretches and gentle exercises shown to me by the hospital pt prior to discharge. At my 2 week follow up, my OS asked if I felt up to starting outpatient PT! Luckily I had found BS by then, so took that opportunity to have a heart to heart with him about overly aggressive PT. He stated there is no reason for anyone to try forcing my knee to bend until the swelling goes down and more healing occurs. That all takes time. Why is yours so different? I just don’t get it!

Regardless of what your OS says, it is your knee. It’s up to you to decide what to do, the doc can’t force you. Worst case is he labels you a non-compliant patient and refuses to continue seeing you. In my particular case, since I was also off on short-term disability from work, my insurance carrier also assigns a health care case manager. I’m able to contact that person for guidance as well as to voice any complaints about my care while off on disability. I found them to be a great patient advocate. Maybe yours has something similar?
 
Ya I had a PT come to the house the first day I was home from the hospital and now he wants PT 5 DAYS A WEEK!!!! To do what exactly?? I don’t even feel I need PT until maybe a month out.

The PA gave me a refill of the pain meds and the OS gave me a week course of Medrol.

??? Idk... I’m just so disgusted with him right now. Yes, why is he threatening me with a MUA 4 days post surgery?? Who does that???
His PA seemed way more understanding.
Gah!!!!!
 
Momma-me,
I have no idea why your OS was so aggressive with ROM, except that he is old school regarding TKR recovery.
You can say NO to the PT and refuse them to push you at all. It is your right.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

Swelling is blocking your ROM, you are still in the early days of the very angry knee stage. You knee is inflamed and swollen, all the pushing your knee is going to do is cause more inflammation and swelling. Setting your recovery back.

What PT can do for your is retrograde massage, show you save gentle ways help your own ROM, and instruct you in TEN's use for knee pain.
Here are the two gentle activities we recommend:
Heel slides and how to do them and Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it .
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom