Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Multiple Knee Replacements

I guess this condition is determined by -5 or more which is not good because it causes instability. It's hard to find alot of info about this.
The NP told me that there will not be any PT for me this time around until about 4-6 weeks, because they actually WANT a bit of scar tissue to form to help with instability
 
Remember that scar tissue is needed to close your tissues together. Adhesions are totally different and quite rare. No PT is actually a good thing. It will give your knee time to heal some. It will be getting exercise just by doing your activities of daily living, (ADL).
 
Back from spacer exchange. He took it up 2 sizes; (his words; he says he generally exchanges for one size bigger and mine required 2) it already feels much more stable. The pain is nowhere near as bad as the TKR. Today I have taken my Tylenol and 50mg of tramadol. No opioids needed. It only hurts when I try to move/change positions, etc. Icing and elevating; ya know... the usual.
The TKR throbbed uncontrollably and non stop, so I will take this! Friday will be very interesting; not having one good knee to stand on, but I know a lot of you have been through this yourselves and I know I will get through it also.

TKR has been changed to this Friday, 3/20. Can you please update my siggy? I have been through so many years of PT I can def do this myself. I know what to do. My surgeon said just do my ADLs and some light stretching, gentle heel slides, etc. We are not going to push either one this time.
 
Actually, I just changed my siggy, but the title of my thread doesn't really apply to where I am right now. I don't know if that matters or not
 
We can change your title, what would you like?
 
IDK.... haha
I've had so much done, not sure what it should say?
Revision right TKR and new left TKR.....
something like that? Whatever you think
 
How about:

Multiple Knee Replacements
 
Here is my update:

Had the revision on March 16, and the TKR (on the left) on March 20

I had the "Q" ball in which really helped with pain but after that ran out.... HOLY COW! I remember the intense throbbing and pain. Just relentless. The NP describes it as having a "toothache". What? Ridiculous. Obviously, she has never had a TKR.
All I got for pain was Oxycodone and she told me that they only prescribe it now for ONE WEEK post-op. ONE WEEK!!!!!!
These people are totally insane.
:flabber:
THANK THE LORD, I called my primary care physician and she said not to worry, that she would help me so I will be calling her. I just can't understand it.

Anyway, my surgeon said no PT for me. Just ice and elevate for now. It's a lot harder now because I have 2 knees that don't work and are in pain, but thankfully my hubby is around and is taking very good care of me.





.
 
I so hope these are your last knee surgeries! :console2:

So sorry for the limited pain relief given these days. Good idea calling your PCP!

Here’s a refresher course for you:


I will leave you our Recovery Guidelines. Each article is short but very informative. Following these guidelines will help you have a less painful recovery.

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​


4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
​

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website
​

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
Take Time to heal, let your husband help and make sure you look after yourself, your body has been though so much and needs to heal itself, Rest, Ice Medicate & Elevation (RIME) are your key goals for the time being.
There is always someone online somewhere around the world on BoneSmart ready 24/7 to chat /vent /laught or help the 1st couple of weeks are the hardest but you will soon be looking back weeks/months really do fly. Stay safe xx
 
Yes thank you! I forget about that, I can come on in the middle of the night and it's daytime somewhere else! Sleeping has been..... well, let's say, non-existant.
 
At least you're through the ops and on the recovery side now. Take care, be kind to yourself and your knees. I hope this recovery is straight forward and uncomplicated and you have the knees you deserve. With all the restrictions in place for social distancing it's not a bad time to be recovering from surgery. Hopefully, by the time you're ready to step back into the world the current situation may be over, or at the very least an end in sight.
 
Hi Everyone,
I am almost 2 weeks out from left TKR and 2 1/2 from right knee revision.

I had my first appt with the surgeon 2 days ago to get my stitches out.

He hadn't even walked in the door all of the way or even said "hello" yet;
the FIRST WORDS OUT OF HIS MOUTH WERE: "Looks like we're looking at a manipulation"

WHAT THE????

He threatened me with that last time too. It took several months to get my right knee to 125 degrees. I don't think I even hit 90 until I was about 6 weeks. I am not concerned one iota and thankfully, now that I am "smarter" than I was a couple of years ago (thanks to BoneSmart) I laughed and said, "I don't think so!!!"

But anyway.... doing OK. Not much sleep. Right knee is recovering much quicker. Left is very unhappy and swollen obviously. I am much more at ease this time though, knowing that it is just all a waiting game, that I am "slower" than maybe the average person to recover. And it has nothing to do with "fitness" or how good of shape you are in. Your body does what it does when it wants to do it!
I am mostly icing and elevating. When I get up from the bed, my left knee feels like it is on fire. Just letting it dangle and stretch and take a lap or 2 around the house.
Then I'm pooped.

So... there's my 2 week update! Hope everyone is well and staying safe!
 
It sounds as if you're doing well, @Momma-me and you have a good handle on managing your own recovery.

I hope your surgeon was joking about the MUA - even if he wasn't, you did the right thing in treating his comment as a joke.

Remember that there's no need to rush to get ROM (Range of Motion) because it can continue to improve for a year, or even much longer, after a knee replacement. There isn't any deadline you have to meet:
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR

Here are the Recovery Guidelines for you again, as a refresher:
Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest​
ice​
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. Try to follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling
Heel slides and how to do them properly
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Healing: how long does it take?
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.
 
HI All,

3 weeks out. My left knee, although still painful, feels quite stable.

My right one however, is buckling like nobody's business. I can't put any weight on it at all, or it just completely buckles!! ??? What is THAT all about? And its not from pain. The right one is less painful than the left.

Anyone tell me this is normal??
 
Your right knee has undergone more damage and surgeries than your left one. I imagine it will take longer for it to heal because of its past. Just baby it and let it take all the time it needs.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom