TKR Muldoh’s one year old TKR!

@Muldoh I'm two weeks ahead of you in my surgery. While the burning aggravating pain is gone, there still is nagging pain anytime I do anything outside of household chores. Went away for a few days to visit friends. Didn't do anything special but just the extra moving around created added discomfort. Then came home, did some groceries, and again, added pain. I keep thinking back to when I had my other knee done and seems like this recovery is on the same timeline. For a long time you truly are ruled by your knee! That's just the way it is!:shrug:. Pretty par for the course during these crazy times...wouldn't you say??:yikes:

You are not a slow healer, you are having the average recovery that many of us have. Healing from a TKR takes an average of a year, so you are only 25% healed. Hang in there, you will continue to improve.

Exercising that patience muscle continues to be needed for a long time. Yes, it can be frustrating but so worth it in the end when healing complete. Keep listening to your body and your knee.

@Jockette as always, thank you for your support. And especially for the comment that I am not a slow healer. I just spent some time with a few friends and when I stood for a few moments to loosen my knee, my girlfriend asked what was wrong? When I said it was just my knee, she said is that STILL bothering you?? Although I know in my head that the recovery can take up to a year or more, hearing those kind of comments does set me off a bit and start the worrying cycle. And I know they are not malicious, or mean-spirited in any way. Just people not understanding what they haven’t gone through. That’s why I’m so thankful for you and everyone else on this site!

@leejaa You are so right! The only muscle that I need PT for is the patience one, lol! And when I’m feeling this way, vulnerable and worried, it’s difficult to read some of the threads on this forum. While I’m happy for those who are doing well at three months without hardly any pain at all, it’s difficult to read when I am still dealing with a swollen and sore knee. But I know that there are others who are struggling more than I am at this point. I just need to remind myself that there is no perfect timeline and that we all recover at our own pace. And thankfully, that’s where you come in :)

@leejaa You are so right! The only muscle that I need PT for is the patience one, lol! And when I’m feeling this way, vulnerable and worried, it’s difficult to read some of the threads on this forum. While I’m happy for those who are doing well at three months without hardly any pain at all, it’s difficult to read when I am still dealing with a swollen and sore knee. But I know that there are others who are struggling more than I am at this point. I just need to remind myself that there is no perfect timeline and that we all recover at our own pace. And thankfully, that’s where you come in :)
I know exactly how you feel! When I read "no pain" I get envious, but I know that we all recover differently and I am just thankful, again, that we only have two legs!!!:dancy::dancy:

If only we could see into the future a year or 2 and see that things got so much better. My entire first year was difficult. Even though now at 3+ years, my knee isn’t great, but it has improved so much since that first year.

There are many more people who are/were right where you are at 3 months than those that have minimal pain and are back to normal by 3 months. I know it’s hard, been there, done that, but try not to compare your recovery to anyone else.

And I had those same comments from friends which totally undermined my confidence, especially since I was not doing all the exercises that we are told to do and I was afraid if anyone knew that they’d blame my poor progress on that.

In the end my best improvements came in my second and even my third year. I had all that stress in the first year for nothing.

@Dizzy I so appreciate hearing from you! Not only are you close to me in surgery date, but you are also a veteran at this TKR recovery! And I love hearing your progress reports...even when you report the hardships, you do it with a sense of humor and a positive outlook :SUNsmile: always cheering me up!! Best wishes for the crazy journey!

@Muldoh You might want to read my recovery thread with my first replacement. I was in pain for months, couldn't stand for any length of time without stiffness for months. I'm learning now that every knee is different, something I heard here and now can attest to. Be patient with yourself, you'll get there for sure.

Thank you for the advice @Starsfan22. I have definitely followed your thread, and so much of what you have written could have been from me!! The pain, stiffness and sometimes depression that goes along with it :( But you still managed to be positive, and I loved hearing how you improved as those months went on...that gives me real encouragement :) I’m hoping your new recovery goes a little quicker this time, but like you said, at least you know you’ll get there! Wishing you the best!

Hi everyone! It’s been a couple of weeks since I have been on, mostly because I went back to work two weeks ago. And as much as I was dreading going back, it’s really been OK. I find that the distraction of work is a good thing, as I can go for long periods without even thinking about my knee. And this carries over into my home life as well. It may be because my knee is actually getting better... hurting less, and not as stiff as it was before. At 3 1/2 months, I’m starting to feel like I’m turning the corner :)

At home, running around doing errands, grocery shopping, etc, I find a typical day has me around 9000 steps. But at work, because of Covid, many of my previous duties at the hospital have been curtailed and my job involves screening patients and visitors as they come in the door.

Although I thought the cut back in activity would be better for my knee, I do find that sitting too long is not a good thing. I get very stiff and have to remember to get up and move every 30 minutes or so. Although my knee is still clunky, I think that has lessened also, or maybe I’m just getting used to it ;)

Stairs are definitely getting easier. I go up the steps now in normal fashion without even thinking about it. Although coming down is definitely harder, there are times when I can do it the way I used to. This comes in handy at the hospital where I try to avoid elevators at all costs. Luckily the risers on our hospital steps seem to be shorter than normal, so it makes it easier and less painful. But some days going down is just too much, and I take it one step at a time...pity the poor person who gets behind me! And even though my step count is about half on the days that I work, I still come home exhausted and use my old friends, ice and elevation, to get me through. And also the occasional cocktail:martini:

Happy birthday to my new knee...5 months old today!! And the best new is I can finally says without hesitation “I’M GLAD I HAD THE SURGERY” :happydance: This last month has gone very well. I’m doing more than I’ve done in years without even thinking about my knee for most of the day. This past weekend, I put up Christmas decorations, including the tree, and must have bent up and down a million times. And it still felt Ok. Even stairs are much easier, especially going up. Down still feels a bit stiff, especially in the morning, but even that is getting better. There is still some swelling, but much less than I had a month ago. And my limp is officially gone!!

Dont get me wrong, the knee isn’t perfect and there still is some tightness and discomfort, especially after a long day at work. But it is so much less than before I had the surgery. So my message to all of you who are in those first few weeks and months is to hang in there!! Those early days and nights can be long and terrible, but it won’t be forever! There is definite relief on the other side. Wishing you all well :)

I am at 8 weeks and so discouraged and wonder if I will ever have a normal day without pain again. Yesterday was actually the best day since the surgery, but today I was in agonizing pain all day. I took Tylenol throughout the day, iced and elevated the leg. I also have that crazy sensitive skin thing going on. I used to get this before the surgery, not not as extreme. I think it has to do with swelling and the effect on the nerves. I am having a very difficult time keeping positive. I was supposed to go back to work beginning of January, but that is not going to happen. I am a teacher and also have a 45 min. drive. I can not stand for more than 10-15 minutes. Oh yeah, and let's not even talk about Covid and the fear of getting it while recovering from major surgery. Thanks for your support.

Happy anniversary to my new knee!! Tomorrow will be one year from my surgery and what a journey it has been. The good news is I am very glad that I did it… My knee is so strong and able to do anything I ask it :) It walks the halls of a hospital all day long, does chores, cooks dinner, goes on bike rides and walks on the beach (way more than my husband does, lol) It still is a little clunky and clicky at times, and definitely refuses to kneel, but all in all, it is my new BFF :loveshwr:But getting to this point has not been a walk in the park! The first few months were more difficult than I ever anticipated, and there were many days and nights when I questioned why I ever did this to myself. But thank God for bonesmart, and all the wonderful people who man this site, because it gave me hope! And they gave me the answers to the many questions and anxieties that would crop up, even in the middle of the night. If you are new to this journey, all I can say is hang in there! Read my journal and those of all the others who have gone before you and it will give you the same kind of hope that got me through.

When I started this journey my motivation was to be able to dance at my sons wedding. Well, it happened last month… It was a beautiful sunny day, Covid restrictions were lifted and we celebrated with family and friends who we hadn’t seen in over a year. And my knee and I danced the night away!

And now you can change my thread name to Muldoh’s one year old TKR!
1B7BF369-E808-472D-8667-3C4A24AE0593.jpeg

Awesome report and what a beautiful picture of you dancing! Best wishes as you continue on!

I love success stories!!! As you mentioned, it's important for those who follow you in surgery know there are good days ahead. Thanks so much for posting this.....and your precious photo of dancing with your son. Lots of love going back and forth between you. You must be very proud of him.

Thank you for taking the time to leave such an encouraging post.
The photo of you and your son dancing only enhances the sentiment you shared.
You can feel the love! Wishing you all the best. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
IceWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom