So today I am 11 weeks postop, and got to see my OS for a follow up appointment. He started by asking me how I was feeling, and I told him ok, except I was still experiencing soreness, stiffness and swelling. He told me that it was normal at this stage, and would eventually dissipate with time and being kind to my knee. Where have I heard that before??? Thanks to BoneSmart I was already familiar with that mantra!
He also told me that my scar, which is still kind of raised, purple and angry looking, would eventually fade as more healing occurred. He said I could put anything I wanted on it but literature doesn’t seem to support anything making much of a difference...the same advice that I got on this forum!!
But the big surprise came when I asked him about range of motion and extension. That is something I have really worried about since I have done no formal PT at all since surgery. But the measurements came in a 0 for straight leg and about 135 for range of motion!!
I told him how worried I was about this, especially knowing so many others were doing PT, but he told me about an article that recently came out and was published in JAMA, (Journal of the American Medical Association) which stated no long-term difference in outcomes for those who did no formal PT.
He also had a good point about those of us on the younger/more active side who get a TKR (even thro I don’t consider myself younger, lol) . He said we tend to have more complaints because we push ourselves too hard, and that his patients in the older years seem to take it easier and often report back that their knee doesn’t hurt a bit! Something else that seems to make a lot of sense.
So I guess the bottom line is we need to listen to the moderators on this site...Not to push ourselves into more pain, and to give our bodies time to heal! While I realize I am in no way through this journey, and that anything can happen, today was definitely a good day
