Guest viewing is limited

MUA for me...I'm discouraged...and a strange pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Punch her one for me too. The PT of course. We will be wishing the best for you tomorrow. It probably will be over before you know it . Remember that the mantras still will apply , plenty of rest with tons of ice and proper elevation. See you on the other otherside . the iceman
 
Why in the world do people who should know better feel compelled to make these horribly negative comments to someone right before their surgery??? I will NEVER understand......agree that you should have asked when HER last knee replacement was done! Geeze.......

Good luck tomorrow. You'll be just fine, hon! We'll be waiting here to know that you're in recovery!
 
Good luck with your MUA today. I am curious as to what is your ROM now and what it will be after the MUA.

Isn't just the way it goes, people who have never had a knee replacement seem to know and dictate just how we should be feeling. I wish all those people a TKR of their own!!
 
Thinking of you today and that PT....I don't think I would have kept my mouth shut.......wow. Update when you can...
 
MUA done ! This was the first I could post..needless to say I'm pretty groggy on pain meds.

I have to say it was not as bad as I thought it might be. Of course when you wake up there is quite a bit of pain, (as there is now) but it was well controlled with IV meds. Last night I hardly slept...literally 10 minute cat naps all night. I've been taking pain meds around the clock. But, again, this was expected.

The GOOD news (and almost unbelievable) is that I can completely straighten out my leg! Flat as a board! And it doesn't hurt! Flexion during the procedure was 150, and the doc took a picture of it for me to see afterwards. He was very pleased with the outcome, as I am. I totally did not expect such a good outcome. Off to PT today but mostly staying in bed and icing and elevating and trying to catch some sleep.

Thank you everyone for your well wishes...clearly they worked!:thankyou:
 
Good luck with your MUA today. I am curious as to what is your ROM now and what it will be after the MUA.

Hi runA42k, thank for your post...my ROM was 100 to 110 flexion and 10 extension, today one day post MUA it's about 130 and (no kidding) 0!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on being done with the MUA!
 
Congratulations on your MUA! It was good to read that you are excited about your recovery. That will make a big difference. I hope everything goes really well for you and you will be happy with your progress.
 
Day 2 after MUA and still hurting quite a bit. Can't sleep more than 15-20 minutes at a time, so the last 2 nights have been pretty miserable. Went to my PT appointment yesterday, and I was surprised at how much she thought I could do. One thing that is confusing me (as well as the pain meds) is her insistence on pushing through really painful maneuvers and telling me "If you don't do these, your knee will scar up again!" Is this really true? It is hard to follow the mantras and to take it easy with this fear on my mind.

Still able to get to 0 on extension which is amazing to me!
 
Congratulations on the 0 extension! I am still working on that at 8 weeks. Good luck with your recovery. I can't imagine that you should be pushing so hard at p/t that it is painful. It seems like you should handle this the same way as before the MUA. Maybe you should ask Josephine.
 
Day 2 after MUA and still hurting quite a bit. Can't sleep more than 15-20 minutes at a time, so the last 2 nights have been pretty miserable. Went to my PT appointment yesterday, and I was surprised at how much she thought I could do. One thing that is confusing me (as well as the pain meds) is her insistence on pushing through really painful maneuvers and telling me "If you don't do these, your knee will scar up again!" Is this really true? It is hard to follow the mantras and to take it easy with this fear on my mind.

Still able to get to 0 on extension which is amazing to me!

No, she's wrong. It's often excessive exercising that irritates your knee and can lead to adhesions.

I think you might be better to rest your knee for a while, until it settles down after the MUA - just do gentle bending and stretching, nothing painful or forced.

@maryo52 has some experience with build up of scar tissue - perhaps she has some advice?
 
@Texan, hi, I found a way to get 0 extension by folding a towel to just enough thickness to get heels off bed and sleeping that way. Gravity will pull it down. If it hurts don't make as thick. Hope it works for you.
 
I would think gentle is the way to go early on. You can get gradually more "aggressive" for lack of a better word.
BTW, it would be a good idea to put your MUA date in your signature so down the road people can see how far out you are.
 
Your therapist is absolutely wrong. Please don't follow that advice to push through pain. Celle is correct that you will run the risk of increasing inflammation and development of scar tissue if you do. This is a time you need to baby that sore knee. Please take things easy for a while and stay with gentle bends and stretches only....lots of ice and elevation along with those pain meds too.

So happy to hear you had a good result!!
 
Curious about MUA recovery times and rehab...I am day 6 out from MUA and interestingly just today I noticed bruising around my knee, a light yellow/greenish bruise to the right of the kneecap about 3 inches round. Didn't notice it before.
Question is this...I feel like I have been set back SO far...I just last night slept through the night without having to take pain meds but awakened in so much pain that I felt like day 2 after the TKR. Putting weight on my knee is really painful. I'm at this weird place where I can't tell if I am not bending and stretching enough or if I am doing it too much. Does it seem like a normal progression of events to still be in this much discomfort after a MUA?
Feeling a bit discouraged today.
 
I think that's all normal. Do remember that the forced bending that was done during the MUA traumatised your knee again. It needs time and gentle treatment to recover from that, before you see the full benefit.

This is only a temporary setback. Once your knee gets over the shock of the MUA, you will start to see improvement. Meanwhile, treat it gently. Rest, ice, elevate, and take those medications by the clock - just like you did after the knee replacement.
 
Celle thank you. It really helps me to get feedback like this to put my mind at ease. It continues to amaze me how out-of-whack one's thinking can go...one day I am thrilled with the outcome of the MUA and a few days later I feel like someone ran over my knee with a truck. Crazy making!! :rolleyes:
 
I agree that an MUA can be next to nothing for some, but for others it is quite traumatic and basically starts the recovery time clock over. The best thing to do it just take it easy until your knee feels better. After all, it's only been a few days really. Be sure you're icing and elevating it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom