Guest viewing is limited

MUA for me...I'm discouraged...and a strange pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you icep707, I appreciate your well wishes...

I have to say I have weighed all of the input I have received (and have so appreciated everyones thoughts) but bottom line, I'm going to go with my OS recommendation and have the MUA on Tuesday of next week. I may regret it, and it sounds like the majority of you think it's too early or something I can do myself. One thing my OS said which was pretty compelling to me was that he thought this intervention could speed up my attaining my range of motion so I can work on strengthening. Not necessarily shorten my recovery time, but possibly assist in reallocating my time to get back to my best.

Time to Rant........(warning...ranting to follow...proceed reading at your own risk...:)

My reality, although not unique, is that I have to get back to work and be strong enough to be a floor nurse again. I know this won't be for months, but unless I am missing something, this procedure falls into the "can't hurt might help" category, yes? My other knee is really taking a hit and I know I have to get that one done too...perhaps sooner rather than later. It's all getting very emotional for me (just like everyone said!) and I'm feeling a bit like I'm grabbing at straws here. I have to work especially hard at the positives so far...NO bone on bone pain! My scar is healing beautifully! I can sleep on my side again! Flowers are starting to bloom! But...I am feeling pretty sorry for myself.

You all may recall I was fired from my job after I told them I had to have knee surgery (this was a on-the-job injury on top of existing osteoarthritis) SO, I have to start all over with a job search (not limping), explain why I haven't been working for almost a year (not a high point of a resume for a nurse) AND face the reality that I am 61. Even though it seems there are "nurse jobs galore", it's not true unless you want to work nights, split shifts, or weekends and holidays. I have only been a nurse for 5 years. For every one of me, there are 4 times as many qualified nurses who are 23. I have to think long and hard about finding a job and risking having to tell them after a year (if I can last that long) that I need 3 months off to get my other knee done. Washington is a "at-will" employer state. Companies can fire you for any reason that is not a federally protected status (age, race, etc) and not even tell you why. If a new employer doesn't want to wait for 3 months for me to return, they can cut their losses and fire me, legally.

Insurance plans offered by employers nowadays have huge deductibles and cost hundreds of dollars a month. My previous employer was a huge international company that offered one of the 'best' plans in the industry and at that time, I calculated I would have to have a cool $10,000 set aside to pay the deductible, copay, and living expenses while getting no income because I didn't work there long enough to accrue any sort of sick leave benefit. Not possible. Kid still in college.

WOW...that was a huge rant, but it helps to get it all out. Thank you for e-listening. It does really help to know there are others out there who get this. Think I will call it a night and will keep all of you posted.
 
Trish....I've actually messaged Maryo about the MUA's and she made me feel a little better about it. (Thanks Maryo).....I've seen many people say that the pain was elevated but not as bad as they thought it would be. Swelling has been a major problem for me all along with this knee, so that is a major concern of mine. I will certainly let you know how it went. Sometime Friday night or maybe Saturday a.m.
Sounds like you are going through a lot of things.....not just your recovery. I'm a worrier too and I make myself sick over things. I ran into some problems after I returned to work, but I was lucky because I had been at that job for almost 30 years.....so I retired! I was having problems with my boss, with my knee, sleeping, etc. etc. What a relief to be in the position to be able to retire.
I wish you had that choice too! Hang in there......keep in touch with all of us for sure!
 
Beth, thank you for your post...will look for your input! Best to you....:)
 
Trish, you've got to do what feels right for you. I was in the same place mentally as you - I REALLY questioned having my MUA's, wondered if I could push my way through the pain to get to where I needed to be recovery wise. My back is up against a wall for returning to work - frankly, we need the income!! AND, my hubby is self-employed, so we're on my insurance. I'm also coming to the end of short term disability, able to transition to long term disability (I see my OS tomorrow). When all is said and done, yes we have to rehab our knees but we also have to have a means of supporting ourselves.

I felt like either I could be in real pain, have awful swelling, and basically making zero progress OR I could go ahead, have the MUA's and see what happened. I knew going in that I'd probably have more pain and swelling afterwards - I mean, just think of what they're doing!! So, my thought process was if having the MUA's helps to put me anywhere near where I was supposed to be anyway, then I really needed to do them. But, after the first week or so, I really started seeing a lot of forward progress. Last night was the FIRST night I could actually fully extend my right leg since before my original surgeries!!!!!! Now, this is with holding my foot in one hand and pressing down with the other, but before the MUA's, it still wouldn't go straight even doing that. AND, I didn't need to prop it on a pillow for most of the night last night, either. Just allow some time after the procedure for your pain and swelling to subside - I'm sure you'll see some real improvement!
 
I wish you the best with your MUA. I agree that you must make the best choice for you in these matters. It sounds like you've put a lot of thought to it which is the right way to go. I will caution you, though, about thinking the MUA will somehow "advance" your healing. It cannot do that. It may improve your range of motion, but your healing will progress on its own schedule. Your body is in charge of that. So, starting strength training shouldn't be attempted until that healing takes place....usually not before 4-6 months. That doesn't mean that you can't do things that will help your muscles gain back some of their strength - like walking. I just wouldn't recommend any aggressive strength training for a while, even if you do have full ROM.
 
Jamie, thank you for your reminder, it is a very important one. I really do have to 'reset' my personal timeline of recovery vs my body's timeline. 4-6 months really cannot be fast-forwarded. As much as I have tried to think that I am different, or have some supernatural power to expedite this, I don't. Thank you for reminding me that taking a step back (no pun intended) and slowing down is just as important as gaining strength at the right time.

You are always so helpful, and we are all grateful:):kittykiss:
 
Awwww.....thanks! :blush: Don't worry.....you'll get there. And there will be many smiles and celebration with milestones accomplished in the coming months!!! Promise!
 
Trish, I posted on my recovery thread all about my MUA today! (beth1954's recovery thread)
 
I was stretching my knee for flexion today and the calf of my leg actually touched the chair that I was sitting in!! How exciting! You will get there too one way or another!!
 
Beth1954 I am SOOOO happy for you! Did is really hurt to do that? Or was it a "good" hurt? You are really inspiring me to not be afraid about Tuesday:ok:
 
Yeah I wouldn't be too afraid of it Trish! I know it's scary even though you have heard that it's not so bad. I'm the kind of person who always thinks things will turn out horrible! My quad muscle feels kind of "tight" but not painful. My knee has very little pain and I know the flexion is over 90 degrees and that is w/o much effort. I'm real excited about my recovery now!
 
Good luck on your MUA tomorrow Trish! I hope you get great results!! I had PT today and I might have overdone it. I'm fighting swelling tonight, but everything is fine!! We'll all be looking forward to hearing from you! It IS tomorrow, right?
 
@need2nees I hope all goes well for you on Tomorrow! I think you are doing the right thing even tho I haven't traveled that road myself. Just reading others journeys on the MUA I know you are going to be happy you did it! Also on being a nurse and 61.... The plus side is that we older generation are becoming sought after because we WORK!!!! Many 20+ yr. olds do not have the work ethic we do. (Direct quote from a couple of teachers and an adviser at the college!!) so Hang in there, you will find what you need! :)

quote="need2nees, post: 586921, member: 12101"]Thank you for reminding me that taking a step back (no pun intended) and slowing down is just as important as gaining strength at the right time. [/quote]

@Jamie That is great Thanks for sharing!!!! I will remember that too!!!! :)
 
Thank you everyone!! Once again, I am a bit scared but...well...I will get through it. I will post as soon as able!

Had a bit of a disappointment at PT today. My PT (who normally doesn't take this road) decided she was doing me a favor to 'share' that "sometimes when people have had a lot of knee pain for a long time, once they get their knees replaced, their brain is trained to think you are in pain, and it tricks you! You shouldn't be having pain in your knee joint because its a new joint! Your knee is gone! So...maybe your brain is tricking you!":headbang::gaah::hairpulling::tantrum:

I almost slugged her.

This is truly one of those cases where I should have asked her if she has had a knee replacement. I am doing better every day, but I have PLENTY of pain. I just listened and kept my mouth shut. it was difficult.

SO, off to bed to try to sleep. A very early AM as the alarm will ring at 5AM for a shower and off to the hospital at 6:15. Talk to all of you tomorrow:):sleep:
 
Oh good grief. I want to slug her too. No, your new plastic and metal do not hurt. Everything around the plastic and metal hurts though!!!! What a moronic thing to say to you!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom