TKR MSuki’s Fabulous Recovery Journey

I’m up to 30 minutes on the bike and about 4200 steps the last few days.
That's fantastic! You are clearly on the road to recovery.

I love your list of goals. I did something similar with my first TKR recovery. I had two lists -- one of things I aspired to do, the other of the milestones as I achieved them. Every week or so, I would check the list and move items from one side to the other. Seeing progress -- even "little" things -- really helped me stay positive through the many months of recovery.

:thumb:
 
Excellent idea setting up goals for your recovery and milestones to hit in this new year.
It's an attainable list of accomplishments and possibly will inspire others to do the same. There is something therapeutic about making lists and then checking things off as you achieve the objective.
Best wishes to you, you're doing great!
@MSuki
 
I love your goal list. I have been keeping a record of my milestones, no matter how small, here on my thread. It's time to think about goals too. Great work on getting off the floor! I don't think I can get up if I were to make it down there. My left knee doesn't like me kneeling on it, never mind Lucy. Today I am hibernating! Snow, coming down fast.
 
Reminding me to be patient ….. it’s almost like you know me!

Hey I know I just posted but I am pretty excited. I got on the floor to do a few clamshells and side leg lifts, and for the first time I got up without using any furniture as an aid! Not sure how graceful it was but I didn’t hurt myself so I consider it a success!
THAT'S a great milestone.
 
I stopped taking hydrocodone, it’s been 4 days and no problems. I was down to taking one morning and night so it was a pretty small change. I know I took it longer than most people but took me until last week to be ready to do without it. I’m still taking diclofenac (nsaid) and I have most of a bottle left in case of an ODIC emergency (like when I go on a plane trip in a few weeks from Texas to Vermont ). Without the pain medicine I have had a little more pain in my knee including some odd almost sharp pains in my knee a few times, not like zingers but sort of in a throbbing rhythm that went away after a few minutes. Also a dull ache in my shin. Might be from walking a little more.

I got on the floor today and it was easier to get up, this time I just got my feet under me and sort of walked my hands until I could stand, sort of like a downward dog. Anyway it felt easier.

Just noticed tonight that I’m having that feeling in my knee like there is tight tape over it and I’m pulling it loose. Had not felt that for a while but maybe I have my legs bent more. I get it when I’m laying on my back in bed with my knees bent as much as I can with it hurting. PT tomorrow so we’ll see how that goes….
 
Yay for floor mobility!!!!

For those funny tight then pulling feelings I found self massage very helpful.
 
PT today was a little rough. I did step ups on a short step only a few inches high, but it was enough to make my knee feel like it had been set back 3-4 weeks. (Probably in reality will be back to normal tomorrow or if not then the next day, but it is sore and achy now). It’s the first time I have done them on land. We tried once before and I did about 3 and said no more. So this time it was 20 facing the step and then 20 side ones. Sadly, I can’t really blame my PT other than for setting the task in front of me. There is something that happens in my mind where I just don’t want to not finish even when she asks if I’m ok or if I want to stop. I actually said to my therapist at the end something like “I almost stopped but I didn’t want to wimp out”. I don’t THINK I believe that, but maybe part of me does.

Ice is my friend.
 
Maybe be upfront with PT, ahead of each exercise, that you DON'T want to be told how many to do.
That way there is zero internal pressure on you.
 
@mendogal that is really a good idea. Particularly for exercises I know are going to be a problem before I even start.
 
something that happens in my mind where I just don’t want to not finish even when she asks if I’m ok or if I want to stop. I actually said to my therapist at the end something like “I almost stopped but I didn’t want to wimp out”.
I can so related to this!

Sometimes we are our own worst enemies! :no-fin:
 
Definitely true for me. Speaking of massage @mendogal , I went and got a second massage last week with the same massage therapist that did such a great job but this time she was less gentle. At one point she started to rub along whatever is next to my shin on the inside sort of next to the bone. I about jumped off the table. It’s not shin splints, that would be in the muscle in front and to the outside…

Not sure what this is, it doesn’t hurt unless I touch it. It was very painful to touch for several days afterward. Now it’s mostly sore at the top about an inch below my kneecap. Interestingly my. almost 2 year old knee is sore in the same place. I don’t know if it was sore before I started walking more. (when I say more it’s closer to “some”). Any ideas from someone who knows about leg anatomy?
 
Aside from the resolving pain triggered by the massage therapist (it's very possible to have that reaction anywhere if the person goes too deeply too quickly)...
The discomfort you describe is on the front, towards the inner medial side, a little lower than the bottom of the kneecap?
That's where we used to have our medial meniscus meeting the medial tibial condyle.
For 20 years prior to my R knee replacement it was where my traumatic arthritis created pain and following my L arthroscopic medial and lateral meniscus procedure I developed a little pain there on my L knee as well.
I still experience intermittent soreness there.
 
Thanks @mendogal I will look up these new vocabulary words! Yes, on the operated right leg it starts there and was running down the left side of the shin bone in the front. The part going down my leg is better now but still very tender in that area a little below the knee. I’m hoping it’s related to an increase of activity since it’s sore on both knees. As I mentioned, I would never know it was so sore if I didn’t touch it.
 
Last edited:
Hi MSuki.
My surgery was the day before yours! I was wondering how you are doing 10 weeks out. Do you still have tightness and "toothache" pain in your knee? I feel like this will never end. This is my first (and hopefully ONLY) tkr. At this point, I still haven't reached the, "I am so glad I had this done" point yet! Like you, my ROM is good, and my PT says I am doing great. However, I don't feel like I am doing great.
 
@Nay Nay My knee is still a little tight. Right now as I sit in an easy chair with my knees pulled up, I feel something that to me feels like it would if you had strong tape across the top. When I bend it a little more than normal I get an achy feeling and I have occasional sort of throbbing pains that usually don’t last long. These are about a 3-5 on the pain scale, more often 3. I have not had an issue with zingers yet but I’m sure it’s coming. That said, when I have a fairly strenuous PT, my whole leg aches and the pain level climbs up. I usually do this at least every other week if not every week. I’m just happy if it goes away after a day. The worst issue I’ve had lately was after doing step ups in the water, my glute stayed “activated“ for about 30 hours. Not completely in a cramp but almost. I finally got a little relief by using a foam roller - and it was pretty difficult to get on the foam roller but at that point I was a little desperate.

I am working at my desk a little this week and after 2 hours I need to come down and use ice. I still put ice on my knee 2-3 times before bedtime and a few times throughout the day as needed. It’s easy because I use an ice machine. Most of the time this works great to relieve whatever pain I’m having.

For me I am a lot less stressed by symptoms I do have since this is my second rodeo, so I know “this too shall pass”. Also I am still trying to allow myself to rest vs trying to get too much done. I can probably write in the dust in some areas of my house!

The other thing that I think “helps” me is that I waited so long to get this one done that I was in a lot of pain presurgery to the point where some days every step was like getting stabbed in the knee. And had lower back pain because of my horrible gait. Just going to the back of Walgreens to pick up a prescription was becoming a MAJOR ordeal. So (except when I overdo things) I feel better now than before surgery, and I don’t have any doubt that I needed this. I still have some back issues but they are less than before. This may not seem encouraging if you didn’t wait as long as I did, except to tell you how it might have been without the surgery if you kept getting worse like I did. I wish I could have done it sooner but my first knee was delayed due to COVID, and my second due to work and family issues.

This may be more than you wanted to know but trying to give you a picture or where I am. And remember everyone heals at a different rate so you will get there!
 
Experience is such a good teacher. Those of you who already had a TKR know what to expect and the worry is way less than the first knee was. That lowers stress, which also lowers blood pressure, and relaxes the muscles more. It's a win-win!
 
Today I had a mildly bad experience at PT. My therapist who normally builds me up and tells me how great I’m doing suddenly got a little pushy on saying that I should be able to do steps by now. This is the first time she’s made me feel “behind”. This led to my complaining about the knee pain when I do steps and the shin pain I talked about before. I also told her it seems easier to me to go down a step using operated leg to hold weight than up. After I got visibly upset she started asking questions about where it hurt etc. I also told her the same spot on my other knee is sore and stings if I push on it.

She thinks it might be irritation of my patellar tendon. She asked me if I wanted to try dry needling at the end of my PT so I said sure. It’s basically a TENS machine attached to tiny needles they stuck in my knee. She said it might be more sore from the treatment so I’m not sure how I will know if it helped or not. Has anyone done this?

Regardless, during my PT she had me do a whole lot of step ups, stepovers, and side step ups in the water. So I’m a little sore and my knee is a little unhappy but more likely from the step ups than from the dry needling. To be fair I had told her I wanted to do more of them in the water before I did a lot in land. She wants me to try going up just the bottom stair at my house with my operated leg 5 times tomorrow and see if I can do it. I will try that only if my knee has recovered so it might be a day or two later.
 
You've been doing so well. I don't know why your PT is pushing you to do things that hurt now. You do not have to do them so use your common sense and take the next day off to see how your knee reacts. Remember that you are the boss!
 
Some PTs seem to want us to recover “yesterday.” Don‘t stress about steps at this early stage of recovery. You will do the steps fine, when you heal more. Working on it before you are healed enough does not make you heal faster.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom