TKR MSuki’s Fabulous Recovery Journey

What a wonderful update, @MSuki! More than 4000 steps is a great start indeed.
:flwrysmile:
 
You're doing FABULOUSLY well!!!

A short stay in the ODIC isn't bad... it teaches us our new limits...
 
After my glute overuse on Wednesday I spent all day Thursday with it in not really a cramp but with it activated. Like when you squeeze the muscle. I spent most of the day doing heat and ice. Finally before I went to bed I got on the floor and used a foam roller, which actually helped some. I went ahead and showed up for PT on Friday since I didn’t want to cancel the day of. I limped in and got a mostly easier session with some massage which helped. Flexion was 126. The PT has never given me a number for extension.

They did try to put a two lb weight on my leg for leg lifts and I did about 2 lifts then said I needed to back off because it was hurting my knee. The one lb did not bother me. I did still push my 87 lb on leg press but that’s my favorite exercise. I remember on my first knee one time I told the inexperienced helper to increase the weight on that above what the therapist told him and he did, which I paid for later. Despite the day and a half of pain with the glute, I still don’t totally regret it because I feel like I have almost had that “dead butt syndrome” on the right side and that this really activated the muscle. It was previously impossible to squeeze my glute without tensing my whole leg, and now it is working more normally.

I’m all better today and had a nice afternoon with the grandsons (6, 9, and 10.). But, PT had me down for Monday and Wednesday next week so I cancelled the Monday appointment. This is the first time I have done that but I feel like my body needs to catch up a few days because PT has been moving a little too fast. I think that since I do everything they ask and usually don’t complain, they assume it was easy enough and make the next session harder. On Monday I’m getting an actual massage from my massage therapist which will be nice.

Bit of humor - I was talking to my brother earlier and as a point of interest, we both own adult pogo sticks. I last jumped on mine in my late 50s with no difficulty but have not since I originally hurt my knee. He thinks it would be funny at my next session to ask the PT when I can start using my pogo stick. I told him I had asked about roller skating with the grandkids after my prior TKR and the PT told me “never” because even if I have good balance, a kid might run into me. On the other hand my surgeon had said that the implant is very strong, and I probably would not damage it unless I had the kind of fall where I would otherwise break a bone. My husband then jumped in and said the doctor wasn’t worried about it because he wouldn’t mind redoing it if needed.
 
They did try to put a two lb weight on my leg for leg lifts and I did about 2 lifts then said I needed to back off because it was hurting my knee
I would refuse the weights for the time being. I have better glutes/ hamstrings/ quads now than anytime since my youth- but my pilates teacher didn't reintroduce resistance bands or weights until 5-6 months. I think leg weights are too risky early on for causing strain/ injury to a healing knee.
 
Good point, @EalingGran! I think I feel a little more comfortable pushing back due to reading this forum but it’s still somewhat difficult when I do. In my case I think it’s less the authority figure thing (I tend to be a bit of a rebel) and almost more the relationship aspect. I have known my therapist since well before my first knee and I know she is good at her job and has my best interests at heart. I have to remember though that she can’t know how my leg feels, and I may also need to remind her that I’m over 60 and may not progress twice as fast.

When I was in my mid 50s before the knees started acting up, I decided to get back in shape. I worked for a large company and they built a huge campus with a gym. (You still had to pay though). I signed up for a weekly session with a personal trainer (my first and only time) and she was a young girl in her early 20s. I really liked her but she would push me often to the point where I was hurting for 4 or 5 days after a workout. I did start pushing back after a few time when I felt like I had strained a muscle, but I could never really get her to understand she was moving too fast vs me not wanting to put out just a little more effort. If I said I couldn’t do any more of something it was always “I know you can do it!” and too often I’d keep going. So I ended up canceling.

The physical therapist is much better and if I tell her something is hurting my knee then her response is always to stop that and do something else. But I think I still have that desire to prove I’m really trying or that I can do it. It feels like failure when I don’t. I need to work on reframing that thought process.
 
Yes I’m happy with my therapist at least 90% of the time!
 
A small setback today entirely self inflicted last night. I decided to test my readiness for the bathtub - not ready but further along. I set up this waterproof cushion between the bench at the end of my bed, and a heavy duty bit of cat furniture that’s a foot or so tall. The hardest part was going from sitting to getting my left knee on the cushion, without using my right knee. After getting into the position of kneeling on left knee with right knee at 90 degrees, I was able to put my hands on the two side items and stand up. I was happy that I could stand from the kneeling position because I was not able to do that pre-surgery.

Then my husband came in and I did it again. His verdict was that I need to wait a while longer. This morning my right knee, shin, and ankle are painful. I think the standing up from the kneeling position aggravated everything similar to the steps the other day. But in my knee and lower leg instead of glute. Or, it could be something that happened while trying to get my left knee on the cushion. Oh well….
 
Last edited:
Ouch! Good you did a test!
The first several months of each new knee I got up and down from the floor with the recently operated knee outstretched fully behind me, as PT had demonstrated to me.
Not practical in the confines of a bathtub....
 
I am sorry you're hurting on this milestone day. Hopefully with a day of rest, tomorrow will feel brighter. :SUNsmile:
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
@MSuki
 
The first several months of each new knee I got up and down from the floor with the recently operated knee outstretched fully behind me, as PT had demonstrated to me.
Not practical in the confines of a bathtub....
That was exactly my problem. I couldn’t get my left knee onto the pad to kneel without stretching operated leg behind, which meant upper body became more parallel to the floor, which would not work in the tub.

Thanks Layla. Even though I caused myself a little pain I feel like it’s better that it happened while working on a goal. Plus it was the perfect day to do it because I have a massage appointment at 3:30.
 
Now, you know what not to do yet! You should be back to normal in a few days once your muscles settle back down. I understand wanting to do 'new' old things. Getting even one little thing back is so encouraging. All in all you are doing quite well!
 
@sistersinhim I need to enjoy that back to normal tomorrow because Wed is PT and who knows what may happen there! Good news is only 1 PT this week. I think I’m liking it. And it’s aquatic which I enjoy.
 
9 week update:
  • I noticed this week I am getting out of the car more normally and don’t have to do anything special with my operated leg. It is even much easier when I get out of our old Navigator.
  • I’m able to carry a load of laundry to the washing machine, and two 6-packs of 16 oz diet cokes from the porch (where instacart left it) to the cabinet where I keep them.
  • When I park too close to the grass at home and have to walk on it, I’m still slowing down and being careful, but I’m not holding on to the car for balance.
  • Still not able to go up stairs on my operated leg, but I couldn’t do it before surgery either. I think I have some muscle rebuilding to do as well as a little more healing in the knee.
  • Sleeping fairly well and on either side.
I did lunges in the water today, it was sort of fun but I’m a little sore and have that achy feeling that I get after aquatic therapy. I’m hoping it is gone by morning.

—That’s all I can think of right now.
 
You're doing great!!!! :egypdance:
 
Very, very good update for only 2 months out! The sensible recovery is working for you.
 
Still not able to go up stairs on my operated leg, but I couldn’t do it before surgery either. I think I have some muscle rebuilding to do as well as a little more healing in the knee.
Sound reasoning, MSuki. Coupled with patience, you'll get there.
Nice update!
 
Thanks @mendogal, @sistersinhim, and @Layla. I am fine this am so for me that was a good PT. Just a little sore in my hips, they are still very tight. I have not been doing at home PT lately other than riding my recumbent exercise bike (slowly) every morning and trying to make sure I walk a little more. I’m up to 30 minutes on the bike and about 4200 steps the last few days. Pre-surgery I was lucky to get 2700 steps. I think my goals right now are to:

  • Maintain and improve my ability to get up and down from the floor
  • Be able to get into and out of my bathtub
  • Kneel on both knees - I’m not going to start working on that for a while on new knee. With older knee I started putting it down on my bed at about 6 months I think. Wasn’t really ready to near much weight until about a year out when it got much better. But it’s still (before this surgery) a little painful to kneel on a hard surface. That said, I don’t plan to give up on this.
  • Work on mobilizing my stiff hips and glutes. They have gotten weak and easily irritated with all the sitting I have done in the last few years .
  • Develop a walking habit, either on the treadmill or outside.
  • Be able to do a 2-3 mile hike on vacation without hesitation.
  • Buy my own groceries- I think I’m about ready to give this a try.
  • Lose some weight. I started Jan 2 and the scale is down 4 pounds, although some may be water. I have a long way to go and I’m eating probably around 1600 calories a day, but getting more things in like fruit, oatmeal, and even a vegetable or two.
  • I will be glad when I don’t have to ice regularly, not sure how long that takes.
  • Be able to travel without without having to worry about how my knee will do or making special accommodations for it.

I thought I’d write some of these down so I can notice when I achieve one.
 
Setting goals is a good idea as long as you don't try to rush to get there. That could have an opposite effect. Obtaining one is a cause for celebration!
 
Reminding me to be patient ….. it’s almost like you know me!

Hey I know I just posted but I am pretty excited. I got on the floor to do a few clamshells and side leg lifts, and for the first time I got up without using any furniture as an aid! Not sure how graceful it was but I didn’t hurt myself so I consider it a success!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom