TKR MSuki’s Fabulous Recovery Journey

Caution...If Bridges are done too early, or incorrectly, they can cause generalized tendinitis particularly in quads, glutes and hamstrings. BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy

I agree with, Jaycey, that it's always in your best interest to check with your surgeon or PT, first, for a nod of approval. It may save you from a set-back, stalling your progress.
 
Go grandson! Respectful with a positive attitude. You must be proud, MSuki.
Matching Christmas socks with kitty, cute!
 
I will add “and start slow” which works best for any new activity even if the PT tells you to do it. I have been assigned bridges but I have a lot of trouble doing them. So I make sure ever time to do the pelvic tilt first, and just go up a very small distance . At home if it seems painful I quit after about 3. I will admit I did the one where you lay on your back and put your feet on the big exercise ball and roll it toward you without being assigned it, but it felt very gentle to me.

All of this is new for me as my ability to get on the floor fairly easily is only as of last week. I am getting up just by rolling onto non operated side, getting on my hands and feet, and walking my hands toward center until I can stand up. I’m pretty sure the PT told me last time that it’s better to do it by kneeling on the other knee but I’m not up to that yet. I’m just excited I can get up without using furniture. A few more weeks and bathtub here I come!
 
Your grandsons are mighty handsome! Wouldn't we all just love to have their hair now?! I know I would.
 
I would pay for that hair! Their mom had it too but she’s adopted so I never did…..
 
I am having strange pains today and they keep moving around. I do have one new one that’s been more constant for the last several hours on the outside lower edge of my knee or top of shin. That one has never hurt before and is sore to touch, it’s just on the bottom edge of knee outside of shin bone and started hurting when I got up from a chair after paying some bills. It might have been numb there before. Otherwise all day I have had pains that are about a 4 to 6 on the scale in seemingly random places. They don’t feel like the little electric shocks I had with the first knee. I was lucky with that one, they felt like a static electricity zap. These are stronger if that’s what they are. More like halfway between a dull ache and a sharp pain. They pulse like if something is throbbing. For maybe 8-12 pulses then they stop. A while later it may pop up in the same place or a different place. Since it moves around I think it has to be nerve related. I can be sitting doing nothing with my leg comfortably up and then they hit out of nowhere.

I hadn’t posted about this but previously I was having some very mild zingers that I named creepy crawlies because they fluttered around a small area like something was crawling on my skin. (Yes I checked, nothing was there.)
 
Last edited:
Ok, so I bent my knee and pushed it a little with my finger to verify that outside place that had hurt while walking still hurt, and it did. Just in the 10 minutes since I posted that it has stopped and I have a stingy but mild nerve pain in another place on my knee and had one little static electricity type stings on the top of my foot, both of which stopped as I was typing this. Surprised by the one on my foot, before I only had them right on my knee. I guess it’s all connected though.
 
I guess it’s all connected though.
Yep! Just like the childhood song we sang :wink:

The foot bone's connected to the leg bone. The leg bone's connected to the knee bone. The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone...
 
Since it moves around I think it has to be nerve related. I can be sitting doing nothing with my leg comfortably up and then they hit out of nowhere.
Not necessarily. Having pains here and there during this recovery is completely normal. Most of the time there is no explanation for them, they just happen. Many times I think we move around while sleeping, aggravating our knees, and feel it the next day.
They don’t feel like the little electric shocks I had with the first knee. I was lucky with that one, they felt like a static electricity zap. These are stronger if that’s what they are.
This does sound like zingers. Just because your first knee had mild ones, doesn't mean this knee will have mild ones. My zingers were so strong that they would actually make my leg jump up. Now, that hurt! Lightning bolts is the best way I can describe them.
That one has never hurt before and is sore to touch, it’s just on the bottom edge of knee outside of shin bone and started hurting when I got up from a chair after paying some bills. It might have been numb there before.
This sounds like the numb spot is starting to wake up. I've had 6 surgeries on this knee and still have a numb spot on the lateral side of my knee. After riding my recumbent bike a couple of weeks ago, I started having pains in that numb area. That means that my nerves are still healing even after 7 years!
 
I was going to post later on my thread about my R knee numb patch beginning to wake up! Yes, migrating pains and weird sensations are A Thing we do!
 
I went out to lunch with some friends today and one of my friends said she thought I was walking better than she’d ever seen me! At least in the last 5 years. They both couldn’t believe I was doing so well, so that made me feel good.
 
Oh what an upper!!!!
 
Was it the spring in your step, or the wiggle in your walk, or did you saunter in? :wink:
Whatever you were doing...keep it up, you're doing fab!
@MSuki
 
Thanks you guys! Bonesmart people are such encouragers!

So…..drumroll…..I just took my first bath! I did a dry run last night with clothes on in a dry tub. I did have to have my husband get me a towel because I couldn’t reach them without standing up, and I thought it would be better if my hands weren’t wet and slippery.

—Larea
 
WooHooooo :wowspring: You did it!!!!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom