TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

Good morning, everyone! I’m struggling with my right ankle, ever since the tkr. I’ve attached a picture. The depth and size of this bruise ctuallly doesn’t show up great in the photo, but it’s thick enough that I feel it every time . Wearing shoes are a special kind of torment. I guess I’m a little worried, could all this swelling in the ankle be normal, or is something needed from a doctor....
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread
    EC6919E1-FE73-4A95-97E2-981D2EBB3499.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 214
If I were you I'd go to an urgent care and get it xrayed. You don't want to be running around on a broken ankle. Where your bruising and swelling is, is exactly when my fibula was broken. It's best to get yours checked out.
 
Last edited:
Hi, I am very close to your surgery date (10/1/18) and my ankle has a black ring around it. It looks like its all dirty but its bruising. I do not have any problem walking on it or touching it, just the bruise.

If you cannot walk on your ankle or if it hurts to touch it you should call you OS and tell him or her and see what they want you to do. Maybe they want you to stay off of it for a few days.

Do what you need to get peace of mind. You certainly don't need anymore on your plate. This recovery is hard enough.

Good Luck and take care...
 
@Mom2Lucy after reading about your skin I took a closer look at my operative leg, which I had been tending to avoid. The skin over my shin is like crocodile hide. It's a little hard to reach because of the knee immobilization but I guess it's time for me to rub a little lotion on it. Regarding the Lounge Doctor, it looks like there is a bend at the knee when the legs are elevated. After my RTKR and before my unfortunate incident, I was told to try to avoid such positioning because it might facilitate contractures in a flexed position, a problem I had had pre-operatively and which had wrecked my gait. I elevated on pillows laid long-wise under my leg from thigh to ankle so there was minimal to no bend at the knee. For what it's worth, I still have good extension in my poor beat up right leg, which is a good thing since I'm now immobilized in extension only. Make sure it's medically ok to elevate with a bend. By the way, I do enjoy your posts and continue to use good judgement with regard to PT!
 
@Motherbone , I totally understand the crocodile hide. I’m pretty sure my ankle and leg could be fashioned into a purse and matching shoes:heehee: I did start applying a good thick body cream, though and it’s making a difference..

I’ve decided to hold off on buying a lounge doctor, as I see reviews are pretty mixed.

And the ankle swelling went down a bit today, I’ve had a very quiet day of icing and elevation. I can walk on it and touch it, so was advised to keep an eye on it for another day or two. Maybe last night and this morning were some kind of turning points in the release of fluid or something? A friend is on her way , will go to urgent care if my ankle freaks her out, lol. She has had a lot of experience caretaking.
 
I used pillows for elevation, the bonesmart way! It works, and much cheaper than lounge doctor.You can repurpose pillows. It seem that when skin becomes very dry the use of thick lotions is beneficial.
 
Regarding the Lounge Doctor, it looks like there is a bend at the knee when the legs are elevated. After my RTKR and before my unfortunate incident, I was told to try to avoid such positioning
Many medical people tell patients to keep their leg straight, but that is not necessary and it causes pain. A slight bend is fine and much more comfortable, and doesn’t create a negative issue.

The wedge my hospital sent home with me had a slight rise at the knee, giving my knee a slight bend.
 
Well my friend came over and had a look at the ankle, and saw how I can move it and walk on it, she felt the swelling had lessened today. Decided to watch over it for another day and see how it looks and feels tomorrow. I really didn’t relish going over to urgent care, so hard to get in and out of the car. And sadly Urgent Care seems like a prime place to pick up germs....
 
I am so glad to hear that your ankle is improving! It was scary looking! I've been there and done that!
 
I finally had a chance to read your whole recovery thread. Better late than never.

I’ll chime in about my lounge doc.
I bought it a few months prior to surgery to help elevate and I’m a fan. I spent $20 more for the memory foam one. It’s been attached to me since surgery. When I started using it over the summer I began to fall asleep comfortably on my back. Always a side sleeper but the LD gradually turned me into a back sleeper. That could be a reason I’m sleeping well post op.

I don’t know what all the drama is about with knees being slightly bent. Its a slight bend.
Anyway, glad your ankle is better and you continue to heal!
 
Always a side sleeper but the LD gradually turned me into a back sleeper. That could be a reason I’m sleeping well post op.
This is how it was for me with my wedge, I’m still using it all night.

Last night I pulled a lot of stuff out of my closet, up on a footstool to reach the high shelf, reaching down to the floor to pick up boxes, etc. My knee was quite unhappy by the time I went to bed, but this morning all was back to my normal at this point! Yes, my knee still appreciates my wedge! Whatever my hospital charged either me or my insurance, it was with every penny!
 
As a side note, when i discovered my scaly leg, i sat outside with a clean pot scrub and got rid of 'dandruff scales' before applying oil.....worked a treat....do once a week now.:heehee:
 
Hi all, I’m happy to say the ankle did not hurt at all last night, and the swelling went down some more:) :-) (:

And to my shock, I realized I could lift my leg way up in the air! ( I was lying on my bed) That’s maybe due to the hip muscles too, but hey, it felt like a huge progress:yahoo:. I even took a video, but I couldn’t post it here.

Today is my three week surgery-versary!
 
That IS huge progress! Congrats on your 3week versary. Mine is 2weeks today.
 
Yay, on both accounts! Lifting the leg is a huge accomplishment! Congrats!
 
Hi all, well I seem to be enrolled in the “good day/bad day” club. Yesterday was a good day, today my leg aches from thigh to foot. Maybe I sat too with my foot on the floor too much yesterday, and I’m paying for it today.

On another note, I have a question about using a stationary bike. I’d like to try it, how soon do people attempt this....
 
You could try the stationary bike now. Set the seat as high as possible, and use no resistance.
You'll probably find you can only rock the pedals backwards and forwards at first.
 
@Celle , thanks I might give it a try in the next day or two. The apartment building here has a small gym , but it’s down in the parade, so I have to factor getting there and back too:)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom