TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

Thanks everyone, I have been icing the back of my knee lots as the bruising and swelling behind the knee seems worse than the front. Definitely helps. This morning, a tv talk show was suggesting heat will help break down the bruising better than ice. Any thoughts on this, I’ve had a few nights where I longed to use my infrared heating pad. I’m curious if this is a reasonable alternative to the ice, if used occasionally, only on the back of the knee. I also have a lot of shin pain that goes down to the top of my foot and even under the foot in the instep area. That pain is often worse than the pain in the knee, especially at night. Any ideas on pain relief for that would be so appreciated.
 
Heat will cause much more swelling and inflammation. Ice is much better for you it slows down inflammation. Wait a few months before putting heat on your knee.
 
Thanks, I’m feeling better about cutting the exercises until the swelling and pain levels improve. I decided to try the 2 Percocet as prescribed, and to my relief, I am able to function without that loopy, lightheaded feeling I dreaded. Today I managed to get my own breakfast together and to the table without a disaster,lol. I feel more accomplished about that than I probably should:heehee:. Thanks for the encouragement from this forum, I’m feeling better about getting through this recovery process. Feels good knowing so many others understand .

This was a huge accomplishment! Celebrate it vigorously
I suggest journaling your adventure in recovery. The bad days it will help to look back and be reminded of even the smallest improvements.

I too had brutal swelling and then suddenly one morning it seemed to just go down. It’s scary to look down and see a tree trunk leg but soon enough it will look familiar
 
Today I had the staples removed (54). Thankfully only a few were really uncomfortable, and I’m so glad this step is over.
I have not been doing the exercises, just walking, and constant elevation and ice to ease all the swelling possible. I quit the exercises after a couple of attempts resulted in agony and a swollen tree trunk leg.
I’m so happy that the PT measurd extension at 0 degrees, and flexion was 61. Something was +10 degrees. Sorry, I seem to be lost in three numbers, hope I’m not confused, or confusing, lol.
In a nutshell, the clinic was pleased with my progress to date and said I’m right where I should be at this point. My tkr was Oct 04.
 
Way to go @Mom2Lucy !! Staples coming out was such a big thing for me. Felt like turning a corner from post op to recovery if that makes sense? Can’t wait to hear what your next big moment is. :wave:
 
Good report! And good for you for stopping the exercises. I haven't done any at home yet and very little when pt is here. I may start a few gentle stretches today.
 
Thanks, I’m feeling better about cutting the exercises until the swelling and pain levels improve. I decided to try the 2 Percocet as prescribed, and to my relief, I am able to function without that loopy, lightheaded feeling I dreaded. Today I managed to get my own breakfast together and to the table without a disaster,lol. I feel more accomplished about that than I probably should:heehee:. Thanks for the encouragement from this forum, I’m feeling better about getting through this recovery process. Feels good knowing so many others understand .

Good luck! Never underestimate or downplay your accomplishments! I've pretty much just started the journey myself, with a ways to go, but it helps to note any all accomplishments, i.e., "I couldn't do this before...now, I can!" :thumb:
 
Funnily enough, a day after the staples were removed, the pain and swelling in the leg increased substantially. Maybe it was the trip into and out from the clinic, almost two hours each way.
I also forgot to ask the nurse when I could start applying some moisturizing lotion to my leg, away from the incision of course. My skin is horribly dry. :what:
 
I imagine the trip is the cause of your extra pain and swelling. That's over 4 hours of riding time, plus the time at the office. No wonder your knee is angry. Just elevate and ice as much as you can until it settles down.

I don't see why you couldn't use lotion on your leg as long as it's no where near your incision. Just be careful it doesn't run into it.
 
@sistersinhim , thanks. I’m going to try some lotion. My leg is like sandpaper, lol. My surgery booklet from the OS says no lotion for six weeks. I can’t imagine waiting almost another month:flabber:. I’m used to daily lotion! Small problem, I know, but my dry skin is always a challenge.
And yes, it was five and a hours from start to finish, to get those staples out, but it sure feels good to have them gone
 
I remember the relief of getting my staples out! Are you better today?
 
@sistersinhim , yes the swelling is decreasing.... new bruises appearing now near the incision top and bottom. Like having a mountain view, it changes every day:heehee:. The stiffness is still substantial, but I think it was that long ride to and from the clinic.
Been icing and elevating constantly, and letting the leg rest.
By the way, the physiotherapist that day suggested I double my walking( from about 2000 steps a day to 4000). And 15 different exercises to be done three times a day, with five reps of each, each time. Ummmmm, NO! Not gonna happen. Then she added I should switch to crutches from my walker, also. :sigh::skep:
 
By the way, the physiotherapist that day suggested I double my walking( from about 2000 steps a day to 4000). And 15 different exercises to be done three times a day, with five reps of each, each time. Ummmmm, NO! Not gonna happen. Then she added I should switch to crutches from my walker, also.
This PT is not for you! She's going by a book that is way too old and not by your knee. Do only what your knee allows to be done without pain and/or added swelling that night or the next day.
 
That PT regimen had me quivering with terror. :scary:
Even if you could do it, your whole day would be consumed with it.
How crazy it is for her to expect that of you!!
 
@Shanari
So I did lube up, lol, skin looking and feeling better.stayed well away from the incision

Last night I sat in my office chair( using that as an armchair since the height is adjustable). I had company and wanted to be able to visit, visitor was her for an hour! Omg, I figured I’d have to tell her I needed to lie down ice and elevate, but I made it through. That certainly fired up my leg, I have not sat that long since before the surgery. Needless to say, my pillows and ice pack felt heavenly after an hour of sitting!:ice:
 
I’m thankful my “nest” was in the living room, so if I had company I was able to ice and elevate while they were there.

I hope you were able to enjoy your visit in spite of its length. :console2:
 
@Jockette , thanks yes, so good to have someone to talk and laugh with, in person. I do spend a lot of my alone time reading through this forum, and that’s very helpful. Takes the isolated feeling away.

I see quite a few mentions of the lounge doctor leg rest, and thinking of getting one. When I looked on amazon, there’s a couple of different styles. Also one is inflatable, while most are not. What do you all think, and are you happy with the one you purchased?
 
Many people love the lounge Dr, some do not. It’s like everything else, we’re all different in what we like and what works for each of us. But as far as I can see, there are many more who do like it than those who didn’t.

Scroll through the pre op forum, maybe page 2 or 3, and you’ll find some discussions on elevating options.

There’s also this article:
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/elevation-the-dos-and-donts.7602/
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom