TKR Mom2Lucy's Recovery Thread

I am not the best person to ask about sleep as I have always had restless sleep. Are you not able to sleep because of discomfort or simply can’t sleep? I typically wake up 2-3 times a night to change positions but not due to discomfort. If it isn’t due to the knee you may be one of us who have poor sleeping habits. There are a ton of articles out there on how to prepare yourself for sleep.
 
Have you tried Melatonin? I take one every night before bed.
 
I think I might try melatonin. @sistersinhim. May I ask the dosage you take? I see all sorts online.
I am not in any discomfort, and I’m not a restless sleeper. But since the surgery, sleeping for any decent length of time has all but disappeared.
Very few if any medications that make other people sleepy, work for me. I think some have the opposite effect and make me “ wired” lol.
 
I ordered the melatonin! And woke up feeling good, so although I initially was going to go to work Wednesday and Friday , I’m going to go in today for three hours again.
 
Good luck! Let us know how you do. I hope the melatonin works for you.
 
Have to admit my leg is more sore today than it was yesterday. But I did work my three hours, now I’m using my tens unit and will ice after. As usual for me, the pain is more to the outer side of the knee and calf. Going to stay elevated and icing this evening, housework can wait, lol.
 
Great though on the work front! Those little steps in life are so rewarding!
Now enjoy your recovering tonight. The dirt will be there tomorrow still unless you have some magical fairies overnight!
 
Day 3 at work, I was determined to try and work 4 hours, but at the 2 hour mark, my knee really started to ache. By the 3rd hour , I felt like I’d hit a brick wall , total fatigue. Got told I should go home and rest and that sounded fantastic, lol. So I’m back in bed, elevating and icing.:dead:
I’ll give it another try tomorrow . Thank God for the blessing of good employers and coworkers!
 
My employer and co workers were so amazing when I was preparing for surgery I know they will be awesome when I return. Good for you it makes a big difference!
 
Hi all, today was my three month follow up with my surgeon. (A little off in timing due to Christmas and New Years ). He said the xrays looked great, he had me straighten and bend my leg and said he was very pleased.

Seemed happy I’d gone back to work part time so we could discuss how that had felt in terms of pain and swelling, instructed me to do part time hours for another two weeks before trying full time.

Was really happy that I’ve been going to the pool. I told him I only went once to the structured physio and didn’t like it, so I did my own thing. He said whatever you’re doing is working fine! Thanks BoneSmart!:yes!:

Then I saw his in office physiotherapist, who heard my physio story and said it was good that I never returned there. She measured me at 0/103 (lying on my back,of course, I know my bend is more than 103, lol.)
She too said whatever I’m doing is great.

Thanks BoneSmart! Thank God I found this forum, I am so grateful for everyone here!
 
:happydance:

That’s such a great checkup!! Sooooo happy for you! Good on you for knowing what was right for you over the “professionals”

You must feel so relieved
 
I am so relieved @traceys ! I felt like a million bucks leaving there. With a rather sore knee from the exam and xrays , lol.

Oh and I also got my surgery report, too. Not sure what it all means, but I see he did perform a medial release.
And found tightness on the lateral side so pie-crusted the IT band utilizing a 15 blade. Can someone clarify these?
 
Just found an article where Josephine explained the pie crust , but with a needle. I guess using a blade would make somewhat bigger cuts?
 
I'll tag @Josephine to address the pie crust question, because I haven't a clue.

Great to hear you had such a wonderful check-up! Most surgeons aren't going to care particularly how you get your excellent results, so long as you get them and thus demonstrate the excellence of their work. :) They often prescribe PT just to give patients something to do rather than sit around the house.
 
I told him I only went once to the structured physio and didn’t like it, so I did my own thing. He said whatever you’re doing is working fine! Thanks BoneS
Yippee! Doing it yourself has worked great and with less pain and more gain!

I see he did perform a medial release.
I also had a medial release. I'd had two previous lateral releases before my tkr. This is how Josephine explains it:

Here is a picture of the knee under the skin and other structures. Lateral release in a knee
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom