Toes Modified Weil Osteotomy, #2 toe

Hit my foot on the nightstand last night. Saw the surgeon today, x rays, and bandage change. Everything looks good! Whew!
 
Still spending a lot of time icing and elevating. Starting to feel better in the morning, as the day wears on my foot swells and is more irritated.
 
I feel like the dressing is causing as much pain as the surgery. It feels quite tight and is very uncomfortable. My foot feels like it is wrapped in sandpaper.
 
Last edited:
The dressing could be feeling tight because of swelling, @Pumpkln . Can you loosen it at all, without disturbing the dressings?
 
I loosened the top part around the ankle, any more and the wound dressing would be disturbed. ?It is more comfortable. Secured with coban, he put quite a bit of stretch on it.
Thanks for the suggestion.
 
Loosening the Coban helped with my foot pain significantly, but now the bandages are sliding forward when I walk. It is not going to make it through the weekend.
Have an appointment tomorrow to see the surgeon to get a new dressing.
 
@Pumpkln I sure hope the new bandage is more comfortable!
 
My new bandage has been more comfortable, getting my stitches out tomorrow morning :yes:.
Hope that will be the end of the Coban dressing that is uncomfortable.
The incision looked clean and healing during the dressing change on Friday, should be ready for stitches out, and time for steristrips and a sock! I even have a nice soft sock to put on once the stitches are out and the area is cleaned up and ready to go.
I will continue with the boot for a few more weeks, then onto shoes.
Driving will start when surgeon says ok, and I am confident I can slam the brakes on in an emergency.

Toe osteotomy, while seemingly less invasive that a joint replacement, is just as challenging.
Walking is painful and causes increased swelling, you will spend most of your time on your back with your foot well elevated, think of the three pillow stack we recommend for hips and knees.
Elevation: Doing It the Right Way, frequent Ice to control pain and swelling , and meds on schedule as prescribed. Started taking Tylenol for pain after about 8 or 9 days.
My back is sore from spending most of my time on my back elevating and icing. :elevate:

I have to put a boot on to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I am leaving the commode in the bedroom, had a near miss and decided it was not worth taking the risk of injuring my foot rushing to the bathroom, or getting the bandages soaked in the middle of the night. :eeeuw:
 
Glad the new bandage is more comfortable.
Best wishes for a pain-free removal of stitches.
 
My operated foot (the cast shoe) caught on my walker as I turned to sit down. My sitting down ended up being a controlled fall to the couch, with the foot twisting on the way down. The bone is held in place by one screw, assume I will be x rayed tomorrow, hoping everything is still in place.
:tantrum2: Frustrating.
 
Chris, excellent documentation of your experience, but it certainly does sound like a challenge! I hope things turn out okay today with your doctor visit. It does sound like all this is going to take care of your foot problems, though. That's wonderful! Hang in there....
 
Stitches out, foot looks pretty bruised still, X-ray shows no movement after my adventurous fall yesterday. I can take the new bandaging off on Friday morning :yay:
IMG_0694.jpg

May have to remove the screw currently holding everything in place, an in office procedure, it sticks out a little more than he would like. Being the like the princess and the pea, most likely I will want it out.
fullsizeoutput_426.jpeg
 
I'm glad your stitches are out, Chris. The incision looks good.

I'm sorry you may need that screw removed, but it does seem to stick out a bit far.
 
Oh drat, @Pumpkin ! Did they give you a reason for the cancellation? I sure hope they can reschedule this for very soon! :console2:
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom