TKR Misaligned leg after TKR

can’t look at my crooked leg without getting upset …when walking my dog I feel my hip is out cause alignment is off .
Sorry you have this trouble.
I know that when my knee/ leg was misaligned ( about 20 degrees valgus) before surgery it definitely caused me hip and back pain.
 
can’t look at my crooked leg without getting upset …when walking my dog I feel my hip is out cause alignment is off .
Sorry you have this trouble.
I know that when my knee/ leg was misaligned ( about 20 degrees valgus) before surgery it definitely caused me hip and back pain.
I’m so scared for a revision as the risks for complications are high but I’m still young and don’t want to go through the rest of my life disfigured either .
 
As soon as I saw my leg at the hospital it looked crooked to me . now I’m 3 weeks in and it’s obvious I have a knock knee leg . My Surgeon told me my leg is straight but when I look at myself with or without pants it’s obviously crooked and knock kneed . If I would have known this was to be my outcome I would have never had a knee replacement .…so disappointed, feel like Frankenstein
Well I wanted to jump on to conclude I was referred to another doctor and he gave me all the details and told me I was 6 degrees off of the alignment of my leg . He explained what happened , told me I have an uncemented knee replacement, considering the operating surgeon did not explain anything at all to me . I’m fuming still but appreciative of the knowledge . The worst news was he didn’t want to do the revision for another year , so now I have to walk knock need , suffer with hip pain , look like Frankenstein till then . I’m going to see if I can go to Toronto Canada to see if I can have the surgery sooner …fingers crossed
 
Last edited:
I'm sorry you're going through this.
 
The worst news was he didn’t want to do the revision for another year , so now I have to walk knock need , suffer with hip pain , look like Frankenstein till then . I’m going to see if I can go to Toronto Canada to see if I can have the surgery sooner …fingers crossed
Good for you! Best wishes you're able to find a reputable revision specialist totally unrelated to your current surgeons practice, one that is willing to help you sooner than a year from now. Sorry for your trials. :console2:
Please keep us posted, Che.
 
Thanks to the people who read my posts …here’s my update : the OP referred me to a revision doctor, the only one in my city. Confirmed what I knew all along . 6 degrees out and I have an uncemented replacement …first I heard about it . Now this doctor wants me to wait till May 2025 to fix my wonky leg that slants out to the side , my hip is killing me as I’m walking like I have cerebral palsy. It’s causing me so much anxiety and people stare at me walking . I’m looking for someone who also had a revision on a botched TKR. Thank you for reading
 
this doctor wants me to wait till May 2025
I'm so sorry that you need to wait another year. Did he give you a reason that he wants you to wait?

Would you consider getting another opinion from a revision specialist?
 
We have often heard of surgeons wanting to wait a full year after surgery, but another full year from now?!?!

If you can find a revision specialist NOT in your city and without a referral from, or any affiliation with, the original surgeon, it may well be worth your while to do so.
 
The doctor whom I got my first second opinion out of town said it was due to the healing , I’m assuming nerves etc. , said there can be complications , hence the revision doctor‘s time frame . My fear is having to go out of town 8 hours away for surgery and getting home in a fragile state days after my surgery .
 
My new knee is cementless and was robot assisted. I started playing Pickleball 8 weeks out. (Although, I admit was slow and constrained). At 6 1/2 months, I am playing 10 hours of Pickleball a week and intend to get back to regular soccer, next week.
I did overdo it a bit and got a little worried. I then backed off a bit and started using a compression sleeve and now the knee is great.
Just take it easy as you recover. Continue to move each day and if you swell or hurt, back off for a day or so. You will be fine. I even think one day, you will smile when you hear the "click".
Hello …please tell me the name of your surgeon . I also am from Ontario and my surgeon did not inform me his intent to use a cementless knee joint and no robotics used . Alignment is 6 degrees out and hip is now hurting . I’m trying to find a surgeon who will correct it as I’m now knockneed cause of his lack of experience using cementless ….I appreciate any information you can forward to me .
 
I am sorry to hear of your terrible outcome. My guy is Dr John Harrington from Brampton. He is amazing but not sure if he would get involved in your case. He told me years ago, with my cemented knee, if I needed a revision, it would be no problem. If I am correct in thinking that the bone grows in to a cementless, I could see that being an issue after a few years. I doubt if it would be a major issue, when it is "fresh"- like yours.
I can say that my recovery has not been as quick with the cementless but I am certainly happy with the replacement.

I wish you all the best and happy to talk in the future about your issue.
 
Are you saying this doctor wouldn’t get involved or are you thinking there’s no hope because it’s cementless
 
I don't think no hope-because of the cementless. I am just not sure how revisions are done for cementless.
I also think most surgeons don't want to get involved in other surgeon's mistakes.
 
I don't think no hope-because of the cementless. I am just not sure how revisions are done for cementless.
I also think most surgeons don't want to get involved in other surgeon's mistakes.
Unless it's a revision specialist, which is what we always recommend. @Che
 
I will add from my experience, what I've found is no surgeon will even look at you until you've reached the one year mark, if your changing surgeons. That even goes when you want to see someone else in the same practice! Also don't be surprised if the new surgeon wants the surgery notes prior to your appointment. That's what has happened to me in the past when changing surgeons.
 
@Che …. Should you need a revision, you do need to find a surgeon who is very experienced at fixing knees that have problems. This would be the first priority - not whether or not the implant would be cemented. But I’ll tell you that normally patients don’t go from a cemented implant to an uncemented one. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but I don’t think it’s something that is done with any frequency.

It sounds like your current knee is uncemented and if that’s the case you would need to have a revision surgeon tell you whether a revision to correct your alignment problem could be done without cement. I would be pretty surprised to hear that would be the case, but I don’t know for sure. Normally when an uncemented joint needs a revision, the new implant is cemented.
 
@Che and @wilsonma

Just wanted to let you know that I have moved this discussion over to Che’s thread.
 
am just not sure how revisions are done for cementless
My first TKR was cementless and was revised to cemented, no problem. I’m sure revision specialists do this all the time. My surgeon said the parts came out ‘easily’.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom