TKR Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
@midwest girl - I see I should have been keeping a closer eye on you, girl!
I have a question about the TED hose. They would roll and on my surgical leg (and) sit right about where the tourniquet was and where I have a varicose vein. It just hurt. So I switched to knee high yesterday. Works great as long as I have the swelling down. But if my knee area is swollen, it really cuts into the leg. Tonight I noticed there is a bruise there. But not positive if it's from the hose or not. Is anyone else having these kind of issues?
I had such issues so I ditched my TEDS on day 4. That roll you so light speak of is dangerous - dang-ger-ous! It acts like a tourniquet and is an excellent clot maker! anyone reading this, if your TEDS are cause deep, purple depressions in your legs, take them off. They do more harm than good.
Friday in aquatic PT it just bothered me for some reason.
Could it be you're not taking enough pain meds?
my knee was swollen when I woke up. PT was hard - hard to do the things that were a breeze any other time. Because my body was so tired my leg felt like it was 500 lbs. I had higher pain level than normal - around a 6 - from knee to thigh. Just that deep ache. I was tired of just taking Tylenol.
You're doing too much - far too much. And given your ROM - 116/0, isn't it? - let me tell you something YOU DON'T NEED ANY MORE PT! Truly! You there, you've made it. And if you take the rest more gently with just a little walking and some bike riding, your ROM will increase over the next 6 months hugely!
PT went fine! He did tell me that I did do too much this weekend. Too much walking. Told me to ice and elevate. First time a professional had told me to elevate my leg during this whole recovery.
See, he agrees with me!

So what happens to your pain meds - what are you taking now? How much (mgs) and how often?
 
Hi @midwest girl, I have really enjoyed reading your post. I totally agree with Josephine, your rom is brilliant. I wish mine was that good, well done you. Josephine has oodles of experience and knows exactly what she is on about. Her advice to you as always is spot on. Don't become a member of the ODIC (over did it club)! It's just not worth undoing what you've done.

Well done and nice again congratulations on your rom x x x

Love Nana moon 27 xoxox
 
@Josephine I take 1000 mg Tylenol 3x/day. 1-800mg tab ibuprofen 1x/day. At hospital discharge I was given Percocet (5-325 mg) which I rarely if ever use. It was causing constipation & vomiting. At my first OS visit I asked for a Rx for tramadol (50mg). I have just started taking this (2 tabs) at bedtime. Anytime I am sitting, I am icing & elevating, so that can be for hours at a time. Bedtime is probably my worst time for pain. I'm controlling constipation by taking miralax in the morning and a glass of prune juice at bedtime.
 
Oh thank you so much. Only problem with my thread, it's morphed into not only a TKR discussion but a lovely chat stop xxx we talk pain to poodles, holidays to home, knees, aches, pains, medical conditions and bargains we've had shopping! You can join in anytime you like. They are a really friendly and supportive bunch on my thread x x x

I have to say I admire how well you're doing x x x x :flwrysmile:

Love Nana moon 27 xxx
 
Thank you @Nana moon 27. It has been a slow process and I'm fine with that until you get another person you know who had a TKA a week after me and the spouse kind of brags about how well her husband is doing - way further ahead then me. But I am gracious and say "that's great!" And remind myself that I had a MCL repair with the TKA and I'm taking care of myself, being single, while this guy has his wife taking care of him. Everyone's journey different - that's what I keep reminding myself. Wednesday I got to a 122 degree flexion and today to 126 degree. And last night I went grocery shopping - with help of course. That was my first big thing I've done since surgery. I usually just go to PT and walk to the end of the block and back - and I live in the middle of the block. I've learned my limits and stick with them. I prefer to go slow and steady because in the end I think it's going to give me the best results.
 
@midwest girl well done you. My TKR was in January. I still can't drive or go to work. I gave up comparing myself a long time ago and accepted mine will heal when it's ready and not before. Xxxxx good for you. Like you I am gracious too, I love to hear about people recovering and that's the truth. I wouldn't wish on anybody, what myself and others have gone through with a slow recovery, with added problems.

Take care
Love Nana moon 27 xxxx
 
Thanks @Nana moon 27. I generally don't let those things bother me but I had posted on my Facebook page yesterday at what a good week I had in PT and this lady came in and wrote how much better her husband had been doing. It just kind of took the wind out of my sail. I know it sounds kind of junior highish. It just feels like I'm being compared to this person. We even go to the same church and he has been and I haven't yet. Keeping my leg down causes it to ache after awhile. Whereas he would rather suffer through it. And I'm being compared to a guy at work who had a bilateral last Oct. I just don't think people think when they make comments. But I'm at the point now where I've learned to let it go. I can't control how others think or speak. I can only control how I react. All that matters to me is the opinions of my physical therapist and surgeon and they think I'm doing well. At least my surgeon did a month ago at my two week check up. I see him this week for my 6 wk check up. So I apologize if I ever write things about my progress that may be interpreted as bragging about my progress. It us in no way that. That us never my intention. Just stating my progress with people who are like minded and understand. I have plenty of bad days. Since I've become full weight bearing this week my leg has hurt way more. I still have problems with sleep, I still have days with lots of tears. I guess I just keep that to myself and don't share with anyone - on here or amongst my friends. Just don't want to be perceived as a whiner. And this constant stormy weather we are having makes for an achy leg. Gotta go - meeting a friend for lunch.
 
I think we all support each other's victories and milestones here, so don't worry about "bragging."
 
Just when you think you got everything figured out, some aspect of your recovery laughs in your face and says no you don't. Sigh!
 
I have a question- how active is everyone? I'm 6 wk post op and I'm starting to wonder if I'm not active enough. Outside of PT three times a week and a walk to the end of my block and back I don't feel I'm very active. I feel like I'm just sitting around too much. My PT said I can go ahead and increase my walks. I've been to the grocery store once and that was enough to last me for awhile. I'm starting to feel really lazy. So I'm just curious as to what others are doing with their days.
 
If I recall correctly, it was about the 6-week mark that I started getting more active. A couple of time I went up to the golf club and rode around on a cart with my buddies while they played, getting out to tend the flag for them on a few holes. It was also about that time that I overseeded the front lawn, spreading both topsoil and seed. Going to the grocery store with the wife a couple of times in the 4-6 week time-frame but feeling very tired afterwards. I started playing golf again at 9 weeks but not full time (5 days/week) until another week went by and I had my checkup with my OS.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Midwest Girl's New Knee Journey - A Year Later.
@midwest girl, you are just 6 weeks post op in a recovery that takes 12 months or more. Doing too much too soon can lead to forms of tendonitis which take a very long time to get over. So, if you feel you should be doing a bit more---then add activities slowly and see what happens. If you end up with pain and swelling----back off.

Discovering what and how much you can do is very much a trail and error thing. And it always pays to keep any new activity you take on on a low level and increase gradually. And always plan to rest, elevate, and ice after doing something new.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Thank you for the advice. I wasn't going to add a whole lot of activities. Just probably increase my walking and do some house work. I personally feel that by laying low these past 6 weeks I've been doing well with recovery. But I feel like my muscles are weak and just needing something more even for mental health. Feeling a little down lately.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Had my 6 week appt with my surgeon and he's pleased with my progress. He had me extend & flex my knee and I told him I was at 0 & 125 degrees and he said that's what he wanted. And the best part - I'm walker free!!!!! I've now graduated to a cane for those times when I leave my house. And then I celebrated with an ice cream cone from McDonalds. Ha!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom