TKR Midwest Girl - Round 2 Recovery

I skipped cleaning last weekend so it really needs to be cleaned this weekend. And I have no choice with the laundry and groceries. I do have thigh high TED hose from my right TKA but I don't like them because the tend to roll on my thighs. So I'll have to use the knee high TED hose from my left tka. But I'm going to start with a compression hose that the wound center gave me. It has mild compression. So I think that one will be more comfortable until some of the swelling is down. I know I'm only 9 weeks post op but some things can't be put off. I think others tend to forget that when they see that I'm back at work and that I don't walk with a limp anymore.
 
I agree that people forget what they can't see. It seems everyone thinks you should be all healed and back to normal when you walk without a cane or limp. Good luck with the cleaning. It sure is nice when it is done and you sit down in a clean house. Enjoy your weekend.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Midwest Girl - Round 2 Recovery
Saw this today and liked it. Thought I'd share.
 
Well the thing I worried about at work happened today. I fell. I was trying to get on and sit on a tall lab chair, that has wheels. It rolled out from under me and I landed on my bottom. On a painted concrete floor. So I sat there trying to figure out how I was going to get up with nothing nearby to grab on to. I eventually did get up but I must say that kneeling (right knee only) on a concrete floor didn't feel that great. So tonight I'm going to bed early, with nice on my knee and a heating pad on my back. And probably throw a pain pill and muscle relaxer in there. Not a great way to start my 1st full 8 hr day at work.
 
Rolling chairs are so scary. I pray you didn't injure yourself in any way. I am sure you're going to be sore! Can you lock those wheels?
 
I did the same thing this summer at school. My rolling desk chair went right out from under me. I was so glad no one was there to see it. I just sat on the floor for about 5-10 minutes trying to figure out how to get up. Glad you got up and great idea to ice.
 
Tomorrow the wheels are coming off and I'm putting the casters on. Makes it harder to pull the chair closer to the bench but at least I won't fall out of my chair (hopefully). It's crazy how 1 1/2 yr post op and kneeling on that scar feels like razor blades on your knee! Well, it's 8:30 and I'm headed to bed. Since I started back to work last week I'm still not able to get into a normal, regular sleep pattern. I hate it.
 
Oh no! I am so sorry this happened. At least you did not fall on your knees. I hope you get some rest and are not too sore tomorrow. I fell up some brick steps on my bad knee before surgery, scratched my chest up, cut my chin, and broke my wrist. Now talk about trying to figure out how to get up with a bad knee made worse and a broken wrist! Then, my crown came off and I had to drive myself to the walk in clinic for an X-ray, then to the dentist to get my crown back on! :bricks:
 
Yep I'm pretty sore this morning. I must have hit my side on the fall because there's a big ugly bruise on my side and my ribs hurt. I'm tired. Definitely could use a couple of more hours of sleep.
 
Ouch! Do you think you cracked your ribs? Please be careful today. Don't let that stool get the best of you today!:gaah:
 
No I don't think I cracked any ribs. I think it's all muscle related. I'm bruised, sore and tired.
 
Are you feeling any better from your fall? I requested some high chairs on wheels in my work area for when I return to work next week and having one of them roll out on me would not be fun.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@smarttoys I'm still sore and I think my back (or more likely my hips) is out of alignment. I'm going to the chiropractor on Monday do that should help. I have a huge ugly bruise on my right side just below my ribs and yesterday discovered another big bruise on my hip. I think as I was falling backwards and the chair was behind me and when the chair rolled into the cabinet I then hit that chair hard. I found on the cabinet vinyl from where the chair, cabinet and myself collided. With 2 bruises on my side I find it uncomfortable sleeping on my right side. And my right arm is bothering me some. My body took a beating with that fall. But with time I'll be good as new!
The wheels are off the chair and the casters on. An ideal chair would have arm rests (to hang on to as you sit) and the seats would be covered in cloth instead of vinyl. Vinyl can be slick with certain pants fabric. But I can't have cloth chairs in a lab.
I'll see how it goes on Tuesday! I also find you need pretty good flexion in your knee to get on those high chairs.
Thanks for asking how I'm doing! I appreciate that!
 
I wish you a speedy recovery. It's hard enough recovering from surgery without adding this to the mix. Luckily my chairs are fabric covered and on cushioned mats so they shouldn't scoot away from me too fast.
 
I am sorry to read of your fall. It may be wise to get X-Rays of you ribs, or at least to speak with your GP. I fell this summer and, while I did not crack or break the ribs, they were bruised and it took some time to heal.
 
I am glad you are recovering and have made modifications to that chair! I do hope the chiropractor can help your hips. It sounds like you really had a bad fall. You will be sore for a few weeks I bet. Take care!
 
Ouch! @midwest girl . What I did (and sometimes still do) with rolling chairs is kind of brace them against the wall or desk to keep them stable for getting up and down. But I don't have any high rolling chairs...
 
Back to work tomorrow. My 2nd week of 8 hr work days. Even though I have an understanding boss I think he's at the point of 'you've been back 2 weeks now, you need to start doing lab work." He didn't say that exactly - just asked when I was going to get back to working on the GC. I've worked for him for 26 years so I pretty much know what he means. The main problem is that my left hand is still in a brace until Feb 3. And the latex gloves don't really fit over it. And even if I can get a glove over the brace I have thumb use because the thumb is immobile. And you pretty much need two working hands to do lab research. So I'm going to have to figure something out.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom