TKR Midwest Girl - Round 2 Recovery

Was at the wound clinic this morning and she said that the staph that showed up on my wound culture is the same strand of flora that is on skin. That info came from the infectious disease doctor. No antibiotics is needed. The wound is healing well. The one teeny spot that has some depth is too small for a wound vac. She said insurance would probably not approve it. For now stay the course with the ointment and bandage. Of course she'll confer with my surgeon but it appears it's healing. She says to watch for increased warmth and redness.
 
Good to hear that things are healing.
 
My orthopedic office called this morning. They said that the wound clinic called them with the report and now they want me to start taking an antibiotic in preparation for next weeks surgery. So now I'm taking 600 mg of Clindamycin every 6 hours. Some of the side affects are nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. And just to when I got to where my stomach was feeling better and I wasn't nauseous every day. And I was told to be vigilant about watching for persistent diarrhea as this medicine can cause C-diff - one of the reasons the APRN at the wound clinic was hesitant to go with this route. Always better to error on the side of caution. And I'll pray that my stomach and body tolerate this antibiotic well. 5 surgeries since May 2014 - I'm looking forward to a quiet 2016. My body and bank account need it.
 
Try taking a probiotic. It helped the diarrhea that being in two different antibiotics caused. I can't remember their names, but a side effect of the oral antibiotic caused the fluid in my body to turn red. So when I took it first thing in the am my urine, sweat, tears could turn reddish/orange. Then as the day wore on the color was less.
 
Surgery day today! Got called an hour ago and they are moving it up in the schedule. Now I need to be there at 11:00 instead of 1:45! I'm praying this is the last surgery for me for a few or many years! One last year & 4 this year is enough.

As far as my incision it's looking better! It hasn't diminished in size from a week ago but it's not as deep. And the one teeny spot that had depth has closed. Attached is a pic. It doesn't look like much but it's crazy how long it's taking to heal.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Midwest Girl - Round 2 Recovery
    image.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 171
Bummer of a day - everything hurts. My lower back, my knee, lower leg, my wrist. Maybe it's the weather. Big winter storm moving in. But my right knee doesn't hurt so maybe it has nothing to do with the weather. I slept horrible last night. Between my knee and my hand I couldn't get comfortable. Functioning with one hand has been harder than I thought. And living alone there's no one there to help you. You would be surprised how many things require 2 thumbs. Time for a pain pill and a nap.
 
I'm sorry you had such a bad day and I hope today will be better.
Maybe your body is reacting to the added stress of another operation so soon?

Anyway, it sounds like time to increase the pain meds for a little while, until you feel a bit better.

I'm sorry, but I've forgotten what your hand surgery was. I had an op for carpal tunnel on my right hand and I do know how hard it is to be one-handed.
 
@Celle tbd surgery was for DeQuarvains tenosynovitis. He prescribed Vicodin so I take that at bedtime and use the Tylenol + tramadol during the day. I even elevate and ice the best I can. With that hard splint and thick bandages I don't think it gets as cold as I would like. What do they say - 3rd or 4th day post op is the worst. I think that's what's happening. Along with the change of weather. The bandages feel hot, my thumb swollen or compressed or tight in the bandages. Oh I'm just whiney. All this too shall pass.
 
@midwest girl you would be hurting from the wrist surgery even without having a recent TKR to deal with - so you are not whining, you are just normal! I hope you can get comfortable and start to feel better tomorrow. Please feel free to whine away on this forum - we are here to support each other.
 
In rehab they gave me a bath in a bag. I loved those and really missed them when I came home.
Hi Karri , What is a bath in a bag? I still have stitches and it is killing me not being able to shower:(
 
@midwest girl Hi! You have so much going on you are entitled to a good whine! As another recipient of multiple surgeries this year and an infection on top of it I feel for you:) I also had one of those days that everything is hurting. I'm on the recliner right now because I can't get comfortable in the bed. Hopefully it is just the weather change around here...nothing like freeze warnings in Phoenix. I hope things settle down for you.
 
Don't think anyone realizes how much we use particular body parts until they're compromised. Take care if that hand.
@PegGar16 i answered your question on your thread. :yes:
 
Good morning! I have been thinking about your situation -hand/knee. Both at the same time must be brutal. I broke my thumb about 10 years ago...I would never have imagined the things I could not do, especially if if is your dominant hand. Don't wear anything with zippers, buttons or hooks. If you have to wear a bra get one of those pull over athletic ones. It is so difficult when you can not grab things especially simple things like unzipping your pants or even just pulling them down to go to the rest room-especially balancing with the knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom