TKR Midwest Girl - Round 2 Recovery

Hope your OS can help with the pain and incision today. All these worries don't help with getting sleep, that's for sure!
 
Good morning. I hope you were able to get some sleep. It is good you are seeing the OS about your incision. It helps to know what is going on and that things are going as they should. I hope he/she can also get to the bottom of the shin pain. At night, pain seems to be magnified! Naps are in order for the day!
 
Oh I'm not worried about any of it. I remember having the bone pain with my other tka. And the incision I'm sure is fine. Just taking a little longer to heal.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Saw my OS this morning. He's sending me to the wound clinic to take care of the continual oozing from a small part in the incision. He isn't worried about it though. As far as my wrist he's going to do surgery on it to release the sheath surrounding the tendons. Simple 20 min surgery with a regional block. 2 weeks in a brace. He said I could do it while I was still on leave with my knee. On an endnote, he was impressed with the strength of my leg!
 
Something "normal" tonight. I put on tennis shoes! Normally I've been wearing my slip on sketchers just because it's easier. And I went to a meeting and sat there for a little over an hour. I was getting a little antsy towards the end but I made it. I did have to have someone help me up. I haven't mastered rising from chairs with no arms yet. Came home and now I'm icing and elevating.
 
:yay::dancy: Mastering your tennis shoes is a BIG deal! Congratulations! Please don't laugh, but if you put one hand between your legs on the chair seat and the other on the side/edge, I find I can give myself enough of a push to get up. That is no small feat for a big girl either!
 
The only thing is this was a folding chair on a wood floor. My fear was that the chair would slide out from under me. Same with trying to use the chair in front of me to get up. It wasn't worth the risk.
 
I have also had shin, ankle and foot pain on my TKR leg, and my OS and podiatrist confirmed that it is probably because the surgery corrected my varus alignment (bow legged), and this would get better as I get used to my new gait. I also was advised to get new orthotics - and since they are about 10 years old, I agreed :heehee:. I have only had them for 2 days so far, and I was warned that the pain might continue for a short time as I get used to those as well.
 
My knees always hurt when I start using a new orthotic or Vionic shoe.
 
Oh yes!! Those folding chairs on wooden floors are dangerous!! I get my husband or someone to stand behind the chair and hold it so I can get up. NOTHING is worth falling. I hope the wound clinic gets things in hand and your surgery goes well.
 
I am one hurting girl tonight. I know what I did wrong and now I'm paying the price for it. And the sad part is, I knew better.

This morning I got up late - like 10:30 - took all my daily meds, dinked around feeling ok. 11:45 I make my lunch. Around noon my stomach was feeling a little queazy so I took an anti-nausea med which always works. I felt I was ok to take my 50mg of tramadol + 1000mg Tylenol. I had PT at 1:00 so I wanted the meds to be in my system and working. 12:15 I threw everything up, several times. But I felt perfectly fine afterwords. Talked to my nurse friend and she said that although it was only 15 min from the time I took the meds to the time I vomited there was no way of knowing how much was absorbed into my system so I needed to wait the 4 hours before taking more. But it was safe to take another Zofran (anti-nausea). I just wanted to be safe and not get sick so I took that. I went to PT - had no problems and my pain was pretty tolerable. Came home and iced and elevated. And have not felt sick at all.

Tonight I went to church and helped in my 3&4 yr old class because one of my workers couldn't be there. I ate a bowl of chicken noodle soup before I left and I was still feeling ok pain wise so I didn't take anything. I was there 1 1/2 hrs (mostly sitting) but by the time I came home I was hurting. My entire leg hurts. I'm icing and elevating with a heating pad on my back, then to my hamstrings, then to the calf. I ate a bunch of crackers and took the 50mg tramadol + 1000 mg Tylenol. My knee has calmed down. Its mainly my lower leg that is still aching and my hamstrings. And at 1:00am I'm bumping up the meds and taking a nucynta and then going to bed. If I was positive my stomach could handle it I would take a Percocet. But I don't want to risk it. Tomorrow I need to keep my appointment with the Wound Center and get this incision taken care of.

So, lesson learned. This isn't my first knee so I should have known better. I have a high tolerance to pain but there are some things that tolerance doesn't help. A good night of sleep and I'll be good as new. It's just weird how that sickness today came out of nowhere. Hope that was an isolated incident. But a positive note, my knee right knee is right as rain. No pain at all. And I know my left knee/leg will feel just like that 17 months from now. And all the little kids missed me so that was the highlight of my evening.
 
I just looked at that last post. It's pretty long. Sorry about that.
 
You did rather a lot for just a month after surgery. Can you take a big rest day tomorrow?
I hope you don't have any more trouble with vomiting.
 
Woke up this morning and my leg feels fine! Just the same soreness in the quad which is from the surgery. Today's agenda is an appointment at the wound clinic and then I'm going to catch up on reading the newspaper. I've got quite a stack here. Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.
 
Back from the wound center. She did debridement of the incision. She did say it's superficial (just like the surgeon said). There is one teeny spot that has a little depth to the wound. She took a culture to see what she's dealing with. It's all bandaged up again. I'm back to wearing compression stockings (ugh) and back on antibiotics and back to no showers. She was pretty reluctant to allow a shower. Maybe with cling wrap wrapped around the knee. It's not worth the risk. I'd rather have a healed incision. Return a couple of times next week for more debridement. Was told to take it easy today! Great orders! On a side note the sciatica is hurting today. I had that same issue with my other knee. PT has added a stretch that she does that feels great. I can do it but feels much better when she does it. When I do it it feels like a semi-crunch. Haha. Time for some ice for the knee and heating pad for my back.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think the pain of the sciatica has surpassed the pain of the knee. Actually the knee feels ok - more like quad pain. This too shall pass.
 
I think the pain of the sciatica has surpassed the pain of the knee. Actually the knee feels ok - more like quad pain. This too shall pass.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom