THR Metal, illiopsoas, or both?? My story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark, it does sound like you have great medical team on your side. I'm looking forward to hearing what they find with these latest tests. Good luck!!!!
 
Hi Mark,

I hope that you get some answers from your bloodwork and new MRI that will enable you and your treatment team to come up with a plan of action. It is like torture having to wait & worry for so long.

Interesting that your OS entertain the idea of scoping to remove the labral tissue. Maybe it's because I have the CDH issue, but none of the OSs that I spoke with would take that route -- everyone went straight to the THR.

Sorry about the autoimmune problem I do hope that your holistic doctor can help with it.

And here's hoping that toxicologist doc never needs a joint replaced :tongue:

Take care,
Cardie
 
I was interested in that too..but to be fair, my OS probably would not. He is deffering to the arthroscopic specialist on this one. He told me that if there was just some boney peaces, and athritis starting but no obvious things that could be done, he would not recommend it. I think it has everythng to do with how healthy the joint is otherwise. I know that with the first one, he would have never recommended anything be done but replacement..same the OS that did the replacement said the same thing.
 
Mark, I have been following your posts and want to wish you all the best as you proceed forward. I find it best to just look forward and not back...doesn't do us much good anyways...Glad you have the "best" doctors and are in good hands. please let us know how things progress when you get your test results.
 
agree with looking ahead...pain keeps you looking back. Test results are in and very interesteing. levels are down..

6 months ago cobalt 2.3.......now cobalt 1.6
chromium 1.7.......now 1.3

OS says this suggests that there is not an adverse reaction to metal...I think that is great news.....I have read in study at Mayo clinic that levels can go up in the beginning and then level off and go down.

My response...."OK. are we gonna snip that tendon or do I just ahve to live witha painful hip that is perfect". Stay tuned. I am relieved though that the metal levels seem to be going down. I would rather have a little snip with scope than have to revise it. I will be tested every 8 monthsa probably for levels but I know my OS is not going to revise at this point.

Cymbalta is a bit better but not good. I did talk to someone who had the same experience and they said that it was a good 6 weeks before the brain zapps stopped and they felt pretty normal..so that did help ease my mind on that. I know some folks here have taken that drug, but I HIGHLY caution anyone who is considering taking it. Think about it, I took it for 17 days and am still suffering from withdrawal on day 29!
 
OK..update. My OS said that the combination of ions going down and no sign of real fluid collection. psudotumors, etc... all indicated that there was not an adverse reaction to the metal. I am getting a 2nd opinion on that but I have started doing that anyway based on my experience with my first scope. I do still have the tendon issue which has flared up again and we'll see about that.

In the meantime, I had my left hip MRI and got the results. I am supposed to go over them with the one Dr. at Duke who is trained specifically in hip arthroscopy for fAIS, and other issues. He is on the "cutting edge". I figured it would not hurt to talk with him but he would have to do one hell of a sales job to get me to bite that bullet. MRI indicates torn labrum (of course...I figured that) and a shredded one on the other side along with moderate arthritis. All that tells me is that I need to "ride until it don't glide". But here is the kicker...if I was to have the iliopsoas released on the right one (which I am just about to beg for so I can at least try to swim), this would be the guy to do it. So we have some chatting to do.

And, trust me, I have been trying to look ahead for almost two years. Pain stops you from doing that. The left hip is still holding up and I know enough to know that no one can give me a real time table on it. The right one has been replaced and if the metal does not have to come out, I want it to be as pain free as possible and know that the tendon release will probably help some as that is where a great deal of that pain comes from. Also, I did notice that when that tendon flared up on me this past couple of days, it did in fact radiate all over. I noticed it more becuase it has not been as terrible of late until a few days ago.

Still battling hoshimoto so no surgery for me any time soon anyway. But I would like to release that tendon in the summer or fall if it is still bugging me and the 2nd opinion says to leave the metal in.

Hanging in there, Mark
 
Hi Mark,

Oh, and Happy Birthday as I see the little Bonesmart fairies have let us know today is your day!! I hope it is a good one and that you are feeling some degree of relief from the discomfort that your tendon creates.

It's been a while since I've read thru your entire thread but I remember you mentioning some LLD concerns a while back and wondered where you stand with that now? Do you think that some of the stuff that is going on with your pelvis could be putting additional strain on the IP tendon and causing some of the pain?

I have had troubles with groin pain that actually comes from my adductor tendons and often find that it relates to my pelvis -- I also have the tilt and rotation of my spine. I know you've mentioned chiropractor & massage before -- are you doing any of those things regularly now? I am currently seeing someone for broken link removed: https://www.rolf.org/about now as my issues tend to be "soft tissue" problems, my hardware is fine. I go to the chiropractor once a week and see the rolfer once a month. Maybe this is a modality that could help with some of the problems you are experiencing so that you can get the tendon to stretch & settle and not have a surgical release.

Keep hanging in there & I hope the thyroid issues are improving too!!
Take care,
Cardie
 
I have not had the rolfing. Many, many massages and they always work..for a while. I do have some pelvic tilt/twist inlower back.

I got a second opinion from another OS that is highly recommended (Dr. Kelly who operates at Drke as well, but has a different clinic). I figured it would not hurt. He uses the anterior approach and has been doing it since 2005. His comments and bedside manner were great and I did listen to them. I wanted to get his take on the rt hip and then ask him about the anterior approach that he does for my left one down the road.

He siad that he did not follow much of the MOM issues with his cases because he never believed in using them. He did say the many of the Dr.s at Duke did and that they were one of the groups that had really speerheaded that in the US (explains why my replacement OS, Dr. Greenlaw, used them becasue he did his fellowship there). He said that my current OS (Dr. Attarian) would be a good authority on it because he had done many, many revisions of metal hips and was as up to date on the issue as anyone I could go to. As for his opinion, he agreed that with the metal ion levels being1.7 and 1.3 (and falling to those numbers) and with all the tests showing that the implant looks good, no real extra fluid collection, no other sign of anything wrong, he would stand pat. He did say that if I was in a great deal of pain that would make a difference but after watching me walk and putting me through some paces, he said that he would not recommend a revision but would watch the ion levels very closely.

Part of his reasoning was the fact that much of the pain that I have was there before the replacement (and it was). He looked at my original scope notes and asked me if I had read them. I said I had. In those notes, the arthroscopic Sergeon talks about how difficult that surgery was for him and how it took an extra hour and a half to complete it. Dr. Kelly just said that there was a very real possibility that something during that scoip could have damaged that tendon or cut someething, etc.. He said I may never know but that a revision was always a chance to go in both directions.

He did show me how the large cup could be an issue for that tendon and that is why he does not use them either (damn, wish I had gone to this guy huh). His partner at Chepel hill yesra ago wrote a paper on iliopsoad tendonitis in people with hip replacements (I have actually read that study). I asked him about scoping that tendon and releasing it and he gave me a "maybe..but" answer. He basically said that he would not rule it out and to ask the arthroscopic specialist I am going to see next week about it..but he cautioned that that was stillll another trauma to that area and that he had seen many scoped like that turn out to do more harm than good..but had seen it both ways. He just said that that decision would be mine to make and that I should consider the risk and make sure that I wanted to take the chance based on my pain level.

He also looked at my left hip and tole me that he would not let anyone touch it with any kind of arthroscopic procedure. He said that he did not think that the scope Doc would even recommend doing anything with it. My FAIS is just not scopable (wish the first scope hack would have admitted that). Hed told me to keep my conversation withthe scope specialist to my rt hip only (for possible tendon release).

Here is a little bit of info that some folks will want. He said that the new latest greatest scope techniques were more for young athletes. He really explaijned the difference in hip scopes and knee scopes and why the hip scopes weren't as successful. He also said that there were places in Tennessee, Colorado, and a few other places where the Dr.s were showing very low and aomost no fail rates. But he said that was not altogether true. He has treated 10 patients who have flown in to other places to have scopes done and then left and come to him later to have their hip replaced, or repaird in some way becuase the scope failed. He said that the Scope Doc does not list those patients on his fail list because they never go back. I found that interesting.

So, we'll see what happens with the tendon, but I do not see a revision coming with the numbers and replacement that I have. that can all change on any blood test I suppose...which is just the way life is for me). If the pain intensifies (it has been a bit better of late) and I can't live with it, I will go back and demand it...but to tell you the truth, with all the other stuff that has gone on lately...I am looking forward to the next appointment with the arthroscopic Dr. being the last one for a while. Even if we decide to release that tendon, I am not going to do it any time soon. My body needs time to regulate and quiet thie Hashimoto's storm down.

One last thing Dr. Kelley said to me. He said that many times, when people stopped going to appointments, and realized that they needed to live with what they had, they got better. He did not say that happened all the time, but he also recognized how many appointments I had been to and how that has probably affected me over the last year and a half. He said that there was a possibility that I would have to accept that even though I wanted a great result, I would have to live with an OK result.

As George Clooney said in "O Brother Where Art Though"...."We're in a tight spot".


I will report back after my visit with the Scope man next week.
 
He also said that there were places in Tennessee, Colorado, and a few other places where the Dr.s were showing very low and aomost no fail rates. But he said that was not altogether true. He has treated 10 patients who have flown in to other places to have scopes done and then left and come to him later to have their hip replaced, or repaird in some way becuase the scope failed. He said that the Scope Doc does not list those patients on his fail list because they never go back
That's been known for a long time in 'the trade' and one reason why I always urge caution to members who come here eulogising a surgeon who claims he has '0 failures'. I have said on numerous occasions "show me a surgeon who claims he has had no failures and I will show you a man who is 'economical with the truth'" (to quote Mrs Thatcher!). It doesn't happen.

Otherwise your conversation with Dr Kelly seems to have been very worthwhile. His comments show a man of deep thought and honesty.
 
Hi Mark

Thanks for the great update, I was wondering how you were doing.. Let us know how things go next week :)

Nice to hear from you :)
 
absolutely. I really like him and he seems to have been around the block. It was sort of funny to hear him comment on the other Docs at Duke as "those guys at Duke" when he actually one of them. Just not in the sme office. He gave me a DVd to watch and listen to and it was extremely informative on pain, the resons for what he does, the pitfalls of some things, etc... If I have to have my hip revised at any time, I would be very confident in him.

Just to let you all know this as well, he was involved in a study that at his ood practice in Iowa where they looked at his partner's (who is now retired) long term success rate based on I think about 400 ptients...not sure, I will have to lookit up. Anyway, it showed that they had the best success rate of hip replacement longevity ever "published" at that time. Can't remember the stats but it was over 91% at like 25 years. He absolutely believes that he can provide a lifetime hip and has the stats to back it up. I will find that study and try to post a link here.

Don't get me wrong, I think that Dr. Attarian is absolutely top notch and had no complaints (maybe bedside manner) but it was good to get another view. They basically agreed on pretty much everything...except the greaatness of MOM that was promoted a few years ago. And, no doubt that Attarian has done way more revisions on that type of hip...because he has probably put a lot of them in over the years. I respect him and the fact that he does not seem prideful at all on how well they "should do". No doubt in my mind that if he believed I was in danger from the metal or that it was causing most of my pain, he would get it out. Havind said that, I think I will go with Dr. Kelley next time around and even if I have to have this one revised.

I just re-read that study that his old partner in Chapel Hill did about iliopsoas tendonitis after THR and how prevelent it was with metal on metal (it also includes a bunch of other things) and how the release was helpful to many who did not need revision. If the Scope expert at Duke thinks it will help me next week, I may just gather my strength, take the summer to put my mind elsewhere, and then bite the bullet.

I believe this is a link to that study...you have to probably ckick on the abstract...I think this is the one Dr. Kelley was referring to broken link removed: https://www.jbjs.boneandjoint.org.uk/content/94-B/2/145.abstract

Bottom line is that the MOM large ball and cup thing seems to be a much higher risk of some sort of failure...just does. That does not mean that most won't do great and that they can't last a lifetime (If I can eventually get pain relief wothout revision, I hope miine does). But, if I had to do it again, I would have done a bit more research and probably chosen a regular sized ball and the metal on poly (the new ones are very hard and don't ware as much).

I'll drop back to let you know how the discussion with Dr. Mather goes. Should be interesting.
 
All very interesting, Mark. Thanks for the link. I am actually a subscriber to JBJS so can access the entire article!

As for the MoM large head, I attended a conference about that last December and am attending a follow-up conference next month. It's certainly a very serious issue and some people have grave problems. Metal-on-Metal Hip Replacements: Solving The Uncertainties
 
One last thing Dr. Kelley said to me. He said that many times, when people stopped going to appointments, and realized that they needed to live with what they had, they got better. He did not say that happened all the time, but he also recognized how many appointments I had been to and how that has probably affected me over the last year and a half. He said that there was a possibility that I would have to accept that even though I wanted a great result, I would have to live with an OK result.
Hi Mark,

I think that your Dr. Kelley is correct in what he mentioned here. I experienced this a few months ago with my THR. I was starting to enter the zone of recommendation for nerve modulating medications by someone, all was checking out ok with my hardware installation etc., and I changed focus to establishing a network of professionals that could support me in my continued adaptation to the fake hip... My THR is not what I had expected prior to the surgery but I have to get on with it and deal with the soft tissue issues that create my pains and work my way back into functionality. Like you I have kids at home, teens, and I'm trying not to let my hip create more disruption than it already has over the past few years prior to the surgery...

I know you have the other hip to contend with still and our situations are not parallel but I do hope that you can get some distance from the more invasive procedures and get some supportive professionals that will help you get to a more comfortable and active level of functioning.

Take care,
Cardie
 
totally agree. I willhave to find a way to cope for now regardless becuae I do not want to even have the tendon snipped for a couple months. I really do believe that I am a good candidate for it but I also know it is not without risk. I am struggling to live with the fact that the hip I got was not the hip I hoped to get. And I am angry that it probably could have been if I had known wht I know now. I would have never chosen the metal on metal large diameter cup..that said, I also know that this particular model has worked for lots of people. My tendon probably had problems before the replacement.

My left hip is not too bad at all and I will be fine on it until it runs out of rubber. No one can know the time table on that.

I do want to focus more on massage and some release techniuques (like rolfing and others) if I can figure out how to do them myself. I have a couple of things I can do that really seem to work temporarily.

Will work hard on trying to stretch and massage it for a while and see what happens. Either way, life goes on.
 
Mark,

I respect both your patience and earnest research. I think you are armed with great info that helps you make better decisions and even ask much better questions.

I hope the next few months bring you some relief!

Z
 
Well, finally got to see the scope expert (Dr. Chad Mather) and get his opinion on both hips. This is Duke's new "hip scope guy". Very nice gentleman and extremely good bedside manner. He has been trained in the latest greatest teqhniques for FAIS (which I have). His point of view was different from Dr. Kelleys but I expected that. I will give some details for anyone who is intersted.

First, as far as the left hip goes, he said I was indeed a candidate for the new hip scope surgery. To qualify, you need a minimum of 2mm space around the joint and I have that. He showed me the part of the femoral head that they would shave off to make it more round so that it stops banging on the edge (where it has already torn my labrim). He did point out that there was some arthritis but that the space indicted good cartiledge and that the main damage was on the edge (both of them). He did tell me that many people would choose to just let it go until replacement and that he understood that. He just wanted to let me know that the left hip was no where near as bad as my right onw had been when it had been scoped. He could feel my hesitation and knew all I had been through with my right hip...and totaly understood. His only remark to me was that he had done many surgeries that were almost identical to mine and that he was very confident that I would recover fully and then probably have many more years added on to the life of my left hip. But no pressure from him at all...just the facts and his estimate of the outcome.

When we discussed my right hip, there was no doubt in his mind about relesing that tendon at this point. He said he had treated many cases of iliopsoas tendonitis and that the worst ones had been after thr. He was mainly intersted in the fact that the injection had done me some good even if only for days. He siad that they rarely if ever helped for long but that they were very indicative that the release would be beneficial. I told him that as soon as it was injected they do a leg raise and that I was immediately able to raise it without pain...level went from like 8 to 2.

He discussed the treatment for iliopsoas tendonitis and understood that I had done all the physical therapy, stretching, massage, etc..that anyone could imagine. He said that at this point, he believed it was indeed chronic and that he believed that it would provide me with relief. He listened to it click and felt it. He told me that it was clicking over the cup and that I had three options...one was revising the cup (which I am not doing unless the metal levels go up). He agreed with that and said that everything looked to be in good position...also pointed out that was a major surgery (same as othr docs). Two would be to release the tendon and leave the replacement there. This is a much less invasive procedure and has a fairly high success rate for people who are in my same position. He told me that he did not think it would take him an hour and probably more like 30 minutes. The third option is to stand pat and continue to do the same things I have been doing. He said that based on his experience, when it is chronic like this, it rarely gets better. He said that there were some people who had gotten better in my situation and that they believed that the tendon had actually eventually released itself. He said it was up to me but that he did believe it would help.

So, I am taking the chance...after almost two years of fussing with this thing and having no sign of improvement really, I will take my chances. June 12th, I am going to have it done. He did say that I would lose a little bit of strength in that leg raise but I am not too worried about that being as I can't raise the darn thing up now anyway without much pain.

By the way, he sais that while I was on the table, he would go ahead and give me a shot in the left hip so that it would not give me much fuss as I was rehabbing the right one. He thought that my rehab would not be difficult based on what I had been through, pain level alread in that hip, and the fact that I was in very good condition. I suppose all the eliptical, walking, and hip exercises I have been doing should help somehow.

I know there are some here who think I should just stand pat, but I feel like this is a shot I have to take. If it does not work out, at least I will know I have done everything I could do. And if it is not 100% but does give me some relief eventually, it will be worth it for sure.
 
Hi Mark,

It sounds like you've gotten the information from Dr. Mather to help you feel comfortable in going forward with the scope work and you know what is best for your situation, you live in your body! :thumb:

Maybe some massage work while you wait for your June date...

I do want to focus more on massage and some release techniques (like rolfing and others) if I can figure out how to do them myself. I have a couple of things I can do that really seem to work temporarily.

I have some massage & foam roller things that I do on my own but I find that having someone else do it serves two purposes. They are always better able to get good pressure on areas that I can't without awkward stretching & I also like to pick their brains on my situation and ask lots of questions while they are working on me. :th_heehee:

Take care,
Cardie
 
had to put release off a couple of months...hashimotos thyroiditis is proving to be a huge problem. I am learning. Hips are now the least of my concerns. My goodness life has beena downward spiral....I have had burning of skin and all sorts of things ...some of which started with the cymbalta withdrawal...appearently, that triggered my autoimune system big time and "fired it up". Oh well, I will make it though.

Still, I would love to hear from anyone else who has had this tendon released arthroscopically. I would like to get a realistic idea for recovery. Thanks, Mark
 
Mark....so sorry to hear you're having these problems. I hope it settles down for you very soon......
 
Hi Mark,

I had (have) similar pains to yours and had a psoas release 1 year ago. It was only successful for me for about a month, so I'd be cautious about jumping to that as the one and only problem. I wonder whether I sacrificed a muscle without good reason.

A CT should show whether you have a psoas impingement. My dr. only did a series of two injections into the illiopsoas bursa, and when it helped with the pain - went ahead and scheduled the surgery.

My circumstances are different: I'm a ceramic/poly. I also have radiculopathy from back surgery years ago, and now meralgia paraesthica from nerve damage during the hip replacement, so it's hard for me to tell what pain is coming from where. I would just hate to see you lose your psoas unnecessarily. On the other hand, I regained function pretty fast and barely notice the weakness.

Jo is right in that it's a commonly recognized problem that I thought happened more with the Anterior approach I had, but there may be other reasons.

Good luck with all the other turmoil your life is bringing you, and feel free to ask me questions, since I've been through a psoas release.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom