Lounge Doctor
Ask the Expert Webinar

THR Meralgia Parasthetica - any experience?

OP
OP
R

ritabell

Country
United States United States
I am disappointed and depressed with my progress on both hips. I stopped reading everyone's posts because I feel like I'm not healing well and don't want to compare. I am seeing a neurologist tomorrow AM for confirm Meralgia parenthetical in the first hip which the OS said I might have. This seems to be a complication of the anterior approach according to the Hospital for Special Surgery. While performing surgery on hip 2, they lean and strap down hip 1 and sometimes compress the nerve. Have been taking gabapentin for it and it has given me some relief. My psychiatrist, who I have been seeing for years, said he can give me a steroid shot to lessen the symptoms but not so close to having the surgery on hip 2. That is why I am seeing a neurologist to confirm this diagnosis and go forward.

Regarding hip #2 it is very stiff and I have not been doing enough walking because of the pain in hip #1. It is very sore at the top of the leg where the incision is even though I am numb there too. I am not walking well. I don't think I've ogresses in the last couple of weeks which concerns me. I always think something is wrong. Seeing OS next week. These 2 holiday weeks are a horrible time to try to see any MD.

So that's my story. I am regretting having this anterior approach which is so highly recommended because of how I am healing and this nerve complication and I hate to say that because there's nothing I can do about it except feel sorry for myself. Hopefully my next 2 MD appointments will bring better news. When you're in the midst of something like this, it's hard to think rationally and be hopeful. Oh well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
@ritabell Nerves take tons of time to settle after a procedure like this. Please don't feel like this is the end of the road for you. You just need a bit more time. Hang in there!

ceezee

graduate
Country
My nerve damage, which maybe isn’t caused exactly the same as yours but has the same symptoms, is still very slowly getting better. I’m off the meds, I’m watching my gait to keep my back straight, and doing the exercises I was taught. It is going away so so slowly but it is definitely going away. For me, it’s been 4 1/2 months since it started. Now, I often forget about it.

As @Jaycey said, hang in there.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@ritabell I do hope your upcoming appointments provide more information and hopefully some aid in decreasing your symptoms. Everyone's path is so different with recovery. You have a hard path at the moment but I am sending healing thoughts your way and I do hope your path will become easier. We are here for you even if you just need to get some frustration out.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I'm sorry Ritabell.. you are discouraged and wish it weren't so. I would be, too. But like the others before me, I believe that time will heal a lot of the issues you are experiencing. I know, cold comfort right now.. (((hugs))) Good luck with your upcoming appt. I hope they have some solutions for you to keep you comfortable until things calm down.

Time is a great healer. We all need to believe in that. :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Wondering how your two appointments went...if you care to share with us.
With any luck things are looking up and the New Year brings you perfect healing.
Hope to hear from you soon! :)
@ritabell

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Three Month Anniversary! @ritabell
How are you doing? Please let us know next time you stop by.
Until then...all the best to you. :)

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
doxie girl
Recent bookmarks