Guest viewing is limited

THR Meralgia Parasthetica - any experience?

So did you stop sleeping on your non-operated side? I am so comfortable on that side.
Actually I have no non-operated side. :heehee: I had both hips replaced about 2 1/2 months apart. This happened after the second operation while laying on the side that had the first replacement. I don’t think it had anything to do with the actual operations. I was still on oxycodone and slept very very still through the whole night on a side I rarely slept on ever. The odd thing is my back used to ache generally on the other side from the numb. For years. And that morning...that pain was gone. Hasn't come back.:fingersx:

I have only recently started to sleep very occasionally on the side that caused all the trouble. And I make sure to not sleep on it all night. It was never my favorite sleeping side so it’s been fine to avoid it. My PT advised me to sleep on the side without the numb and pain or on my stomach (which I hate).
 
@ceezee
My problem is exactly the same. I have no non-operated side. since I had 2 hips replaced 6 months apart. Like you, this happened after my second surgery. I, too, slept on the side of my first hip surgery (3/19) 2 weeks after the second hip surgery (11/19 ) just like you described which the OS said I could do. My favorite sleeping side is the one I just had surgery on, so guess I will have to sleep on my back for a few more weeks until I can comfortably sleep on that side. I had anterior surgery so I cannot sleep on my stomach at all.

I am numb on both hips and was told it may or may not go away which doesn't bother me. This nerve pain, however , developed 2 weeks ago. My surgery was 4 weeks ago. I feel all kinds of sensations intermittently; tingling, burning, sharp quick pain, occasional shooting pain especially in the Am upon waking up, and MOST OF ALL, sometimes it feels like someone has punched me in the thigh in this one spot where the nerve seems to be. midway up my thigh.

I am trying everything. My chiropractor uses ultrasound and I wondered if that would help.
 
I am trying everything. My chiropractor uses ultrasound and I wondered if that would help.
I had ultrasound at PT and it felt good. I also had TENS which felt amazing. All of this was done on my lower spine, where the issue is. Nothing seemed to help when done directly to my thigh and PT didn’t even try. Also, I only had two PT sessions for two consecutive weeks. That was enough to continue to do what needed to be done by myself at home.

I couldn’t tolerate heat on my thigh but found some relief with ice on it. The Gabapentin finally at least let me put slacks on or have a sheet touching it at night. I knew I was getting better when I could stop taking it and I felt better even without it.

I was told when it starts to itch and not get the zaps that means it’s healing. That happened at my third PT session.
 
@ceezee and anyone...

Your experience and advice has been invaluable to me. You have been encouraging. I was wondering where to use the ultrasound and you answered it .
2 questions :
1:Did the PT use it on your back because you couldn't tolerate it on your thigh?
2:Do you think the nerve problem originated in the back where the nerve starts or in the hip area where it's pinched in the diagram in this article picture?

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/meralgia-paresthetica.22170/

I don't know if it really matters but I was curious what you thought.
I am going to the PT next week and now I now act to expect. Ironically I have 2 scripts: one for the new left hip replacement and one for the new nerve problem in the right hip replacement. Gee Whiz!

I have a home TENS machine and made the mistake of trying it on the thigh before I knew this was a nerve problem and I saw stars!!!! when I turned it on. OMG was that a mistake.

I find the ice massage circles helps for awhile especially as the day progresses.

Any other things you remember along the way, just let me know.
 
1:Did the PT use it on your back because you couldn't tolerate it on your thigh?
2:Do you think the nerve problem originated in the back where the nerve starts or in the hip area where it's pinched in the diagram in this article picture?
Your situation and mine may not be absolutely identical. According to the spine doctor I saw, who took X-rays, he said the pinch is in my lower back. I think it was between L4-L5. His view was this is where the thigh numbness that I described originates. My thigh is numb from my hip down to my knee. It’s on the left side and down the front. My knee is fine and the inside of my thigh is fine. The left side is worse than the front but most of the zings I get are on the front down toward my knee. Everything was incredibly painful to touch. The pain upon touching is now gone and only the numbness remains and its getting less and less.

My PT used the ultrasound on my glutes on the numb side as they were very tight and sore. The TENS was used just in my lower back.

Also at PT I got stretching and massage on my back, glutes, and once my hip flexors. I’d arrive and lay on a heating pad for 10 minutes, my Leg length would be checked to see if I was still in alignment, if i wasn’t that would get straightened out, get stretched (and taught the stretches), soft tissue massaged, maybe do a couple of stretching exercises under supervision, get ultrasound, and finally lay on ice packs with TENS for around 15 minutes. This all took usually around an hour and a half.

I know that once my core got stronger, I stood up straighter, and my gait improved I started to get better pretty quickly. I’m not back to normal yet but I believe it’s coming.

Like you, that was the last thing I expected to happen....my thigh to get numbness and feel burned. :sigh: But it’ll go away and it’s not harming either my hip or my thigh so now it’s just one more thing to be patient about. I never dreamed I could be so patient.:loll:
 
@ ceezee

I guess I have to follow up with a spine person as well since I have a history of spinal stenosis.

I never dreamed I could be so patient either especially, like you, at 71 years of age . It is a mental and emotional wear and tear injury that can't be underestimated. I know the OS are excited about what they gave accomplished surgically but I remind mine that is only part of the while picture.
 
I agree you should see a spine doctor for a complete analysis. My OS convinced me that was necessary to get it resolved.

For me, the sudden numbing thigh issue happened a week or two before it was discovered that my latest hip surgery had resulted in a fracture of my femur and I was to be on non weight bearing for at least a month to hopefully get it to heal. So I put the numb thigh issue to the side for a bit of time. i concentrated on getting the fracture to heal, along with the hip, and after it finally looked like that was healing nicely I refocused my attention to my sorry left painful thigh. So I let go on for quite some time before I did anything to address it.

If I hadn’t had that sideline of first dealing with the fracture with the second hip, I think I’d be doing even better now. But, I'm happy that it’s all working out now and I have found that the determination I have to see things to the end has really helped me. I’ve learned to work hard at fixing the things that can be fixed and let the rest go. Easy to say, hard to do, but it works for me.
 
In trying to determine this pain, soreness, tingling and zapping in my upper thigh of hip # 1 from March, I am taking gabapentin for a week, as the OS suggested. I have not noticed any nerve relief from the gala yet , and woke up this AM to zapping in my leg in one particular spot. I will give the gabapentin one more week and am scheduled to see my neurologist in a few weeks. Try to get an appointment with a neurologist!!!!

I went to my PT for the first time this AM and showed him the OS report which states that it is a combinations of IT band syndrome and the Meralgia problem. He massaged the area for at least 20 minutes and boy did that feel good. He said there are lots of "knots" and that the area was probably overworked from relying on that leg after hip # 2 surgery. He didn't know how much of the problem was nerve related ..But the IT band must be overworked as he said because it felt SO GOOD afterward. He said what he did today was loosen up the area and it might not last long but will help identify the problem. No exercises, just massage and stretching . I was happy about that since I had such negative experience with PT last time with a different therapist.

So I will see over the next week what works and what doesn't my quest to get an answer to this thigh pain and zapping. I felt a little more optimistic for the iffiest time in a few weeks after I came home from PT. I don't want to put all my hope this PT since I know hey feel they can cure anything but it's a step forward for now. I also drove for the first time! even if it was only around the corner. YAY!
 
:driver:I know that made you happy...driving, and seeing some independence return.
On the zips and zaps, I had those for months...and an errant one or four from out of the blue up to 5 or 6 months out.
 
How do I get those cute little emojis? I'm emoji challenged!!
 

:yes:
 
I hope you are still feeling relief from your session today.. and look at you! Driving!
Baby steps @ritabell , it's what this recovery is all about. :flwrysmile:
 
I also drove for the first time! even if it was only around the corner. YAY!

Now that's funny. :heehee:
Not sure if it was your intention....but it made me laugh. Maybe tomorrow you can try for a drive around the block! :driver:
Have a great Tuesday :)
 
Just a quick hello my 11.13.2019 partner. I am sorry you are having issues with your other hip. I hope the massage is lasting a bit for you. Driving sounds wonderful. I am not even trying yet since still on precautions (posterior approach) but maybe in a few more weeks. Driving is not a necessity but it will feel great to be able to do it - I always feel better if it is my choice not to drive vs I can't drive.

Sending wishes for a peaceful day with minimal discomfort. :console2: :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
 
@Debru4 and anyone
Thanks for responding. I assume you had the anterior approach. Is this numbness a result of that approach? It's good to know that someone else has the same numbness. It feels so odd because I had both hips replaced this year, so it feels numb on both hips. I agree with you that it is so much better than bone-on-bone hip pain.

Did you have any pain or soreness right below where the numbness ends on the thigh? The OS thinks it could be both a nerve problem and IT Band syndrome. Right now it is so sore in that area sometimes to the touch. Did I overuse that leg of hip #1 while recovering from hip#2 a month ago because hip #1 wasn't totally healed? As I said previously, the PT's massage really helped. He seems to think it its mostly muscle related but I think it is partially nerve related as the OS theorized. I am reserving judgment because I know PTs think everything is muscle related and I am sure if I go to a neurologist, he will say it's nerve related , so I feel like I'm between and rock and a hard place as they say. I will attack it by taking the neurontin and getting massages at PT.
 
Time is the greatest healer...although hard to accept sometimes that we are not in charge of our recovery.
Wishing you comfort and peace this Christmas.
Hang in there friend. christmas-angel:wreath::merry-xmas-smiley-emoticon::wreath:
 
@ritabell Just wanted to stop by and say hi and how are you doing and if your first hip is behaving a bit better. I have not seen any posts from you so am hoping you are improving. Sometimes a slow process and frustrating. I do believe that 2020 will be a wonderful year for all of us hippies. Happy New Year and may it be a peaceful one full of love and laughter.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom