THR MeowWoofMomma's Recovery Thread

MeowWoofMomma

Country
United States United States
(warning, long post)

My surgery went well yesterday: THR of right hip, anterior approach, DePuy Actis titanium stem, ceramic ball, XLPE liner, no cement, Dermabond Prineo Skin Closure System. Meds: oxycodone (pain), baby aspirin (blood clots) tylenol (pain), meloxicam (anti-inflammatory), omeprazole (acid reflux), and miralax (constipation).

I went in at 5:30 am, out of surgery by 8:30, cleared to go home by 12:30pm. I had some faintness and nausea and vomited twice: once during recovery, and once during the ride home. Otherwise, recovery went well with virtually no pain.

I made the mistake of taking 2 oxycodone after arriving at home, so I felt no pain for 3-4 hours. But then I started getting faintness and nausea every time I got up to go to the kitchen or bathroom. Also lost my appetite completely. So, I'm determined to take as little oxycodone as possible. Instead, I'm taking Tylenol and icing.

Thank heavens for icing! I used my ice machine all night (Polar Active Ice 3.0 with timer), set at 30 minutes on and 30 minutes off). By morning all the ice bottles had pretty much melted. I was using the extended coverage back/hip pad (12.5” x 22.5”), and put it over my right hip and groin area. When I got up, I noticed that this area was cool to the touch and seemed fine (no pain), but my thigh extending down from that area was visibly swollen, warm to the touch, and painful. Guess I was icing the wrong area!

I'm using my walker to hobble around, and it was medium painful, mostly in my upper thigh where the swelling was. I had to put most of my weight onto the walker arms and gently position my right leg. I dug out my ice packs and put those on the swollen area of my thigh, and it's doing so much better. Only took 2 tylenol and meloxicam this morning (8am) and pain is managed well so far (11am).

Only thing that bothers me is that I still get some faintness and slight nausea after I've been up and walking around for 5-10 minutes. Is that normal? I'm trying to keep hydrated (water, Gatorade Zero), and avoiding opioids. Anything else I can do?

Another question: when I got my cataract surgery, I received a card that listed the manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc. of my new lenses. Was I supposed to receive something similar for my new hip implant? So far, I've had very little clarity from my PA or OS on the actual implant items used on me. (I'm just a stickler on what's going into my body.)

@MeowWoofMomma Welcome to the recovery side! It is wonderful to hear that you are home and doing OK.

It is normal for your whole leg to be swollen at this point - we call it having a "log leg". The icing and elevating the leg will help that fade away .... but it may take a week or two to fully subside. As for the nausea and feeling a bit faint ... could be the opiates or a residual from the anesthesia. Eating light, easily digested foods may help as will staying well hydrated.

As for the question about parts ... I know that is weird - I also got that kind of card with my cataract surgery - but I have not heard of a hip or knee surgeon (or shoulder one for that matter) providing a "parts" document. I do know that the implant data is some place in your medical record but might only be available to the surgeon. You could ask if you could have that information if you want it.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary.
2. Control discomfort:
rest
elevate
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
Activity progression for THRs
6. Access these pages on the website
Oral And Intravenous Pain Medications
Wound Care In Hospital

The Recovery articles:
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.
While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Another question: when I got my cataract surgery, I received a card that listed the manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc. of my new lenses. Was I supposed to receive something similar for my new hip implant?
No they won't normally give you this information. But it will be in your medical notes/record.

Welcome to the other side!

Another question: when I got my cataract surgery, I received a card that listed the manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc. of my new lenses. Was I supposed to receive something similar for my new hip implant? So far, I've had very little clarity from my PA or OS on the actual implant items used on me. (I'm just a stickler on what's going into my body.)
That's an interesting question! Like you, I had full details on a card for my replacement lenses but nothing for the hips. I forgot to ask this time so it will be one of my questions at the next checkup in June.

Only thing that bothers me is that I still get some faintness and slight nausea after I've been up and walking around for 5-10 minutes. Is that normal? I'm trying to keep hydrated (water, Gatorade Zero), and avoiding opioids. Anything else I can do?

I had faintness for 24h hours from the surgery, nausea stuck around for a few days. According to the nurses the faintness was mainly related to the epidural, which can cause drops in BP for some time after the jab.

For me it was the first time taking oxy, and I don't even drink, so I think my body needed some time to adjust. Once I was down to 5mg x 2 time per day, everything went back to normal, also stomach and bowel function.

I know it's not the nicest to feel faint when the main thing you are told is not to fall ;) This is the first thing to go away though, and I hope that your symptoms ease soon!

Thank you everyone! It's so comforting to have someone to ask about these issues. Thank goodness for this forum!

I will ask my PA for my "parts listing" at my first post-op, and hopefully he won't look at me with a blank stare :what:

I'm hoping I can stay off the opioids due to the faintness and nausea,
and stick with the Tylenol, but my PA told me that they gave me a pain injection at surgery that lasts for about 3 days, and to expect my pain level to peak around the 5th day. So this may just be the lull before the storm.

Just in the last hour I've noticed my face feels really hot and my cheeks are flushed, although my temp is only 99.0. Sigh, I guess it's just another temporary surprise along the road to recovery.

Well, it's nap time with my legs elevated and my trusty ice machine. :sleeep:

Just in the last hour I've noticed my face feels really hot and my cheeks are flushed, although my temp is only 99.0. Sigh, I guess it's just another temporary surprise along the road to recovery.

I had that too, this was caused by the steroids they gave me while at the hospital to help curb the inflammation. Should pass in a few days :)

My Mum had a hip replacement in 2000 and still has a card she was given with the details and serial numbers of her new parts.

Oh yes, steroids! That must be it. Thanks for the tip! I had the same flushing reaction when I got my hip steroid injections 3 yrs ago and again 1.5 yrs ago. I also went around with squirrel cheeks for a year afterwards :sad:

I was really hoping that I could avoid a repeat of that, but I guess Dr knows best...

Hmm, maybe the "parts card" for THR is a UK thing? Anyhow, I will ask my PA; might have to be persistent though, based on their reactions to my previous inquiries. Why the secrecy? When I finally met my OS the day of surgery, and asked him if it would be the Actis stem, he said "yes, mumble mumble, although it depends on the architecture of your hip". ???

My anterior THR was 3/27, so I'm just about a week ahead of you. I had nausea and diminished appetite for the first 4-5 days. It may have been the anesthesia - I also threw up before leaving the surgery center. I would say that yesterday (1 week out from surgery) is the first day that my appetite and stomach has felt totally back to normal.

I also had bright pink cheeks and a low grade fever. I don't know if they gave me steroids during my surgery or not, but I was back to normal with that in less than 48 hours.

I'm still using the hydrocodone to help me make sure I sleep pain free. Saturday was the last time I used it during the day, after a pretty rough PT session. The problem with that is that they make me incredibly sleepy for about 24 hours, so I slept A LOT on Sunday. I just figure it's part of the process.

Give yourself grace and rest and let your body heal. Today (day 8) is really the first day I've felt like my old self. I walked around a bit outside, but have needed to ice my leg a lot this afternoon/evening.

Glad you found the board! This place has been a lifesaver for me both before and after surgery!

Thanks so much for all the feedback and support! It really helps to know that all these symptoms are normal.

My pink cheeks are slowly starting to subside, although the nausea is still with me. I realized the nausea is probably not caused by the opioids, since I wasn't taking them. Probably the anesthesia instead.

I was also getting chills, so I re-read the pain guidelines on this forum and realized that refusing to take the oxycodone was only punishing myself and making things worse, so I started taking 1 oxycodone every 5-6 hours, and feel so much better. Still have the chills, but no more fierce burning pain in my thigh. They do make me really sleepy though; I usually zonk out for 2-3 hours after taking one.

I stayed in the hospital after surgery for 2 1/2 days because I fainted dead away and then almost* fainted several more times. I figured out it was the hydrocodone. My doc gave me Tramadol instead and since then I’ve been fine. Apparently about 10-20% of people feel faint after THR, for one reason or another. I’ve noticed my appetite comes and goes with how tired I am. Hang in there!

You most likely feel light headed or faint due to low blood pressure, you lose a lot of blood during the surgery and quite normal to have low BP.
I took the oxy a few days, makes me nauseous and stopped using.
Slept a lot, I just slept when I felt like it, didn't have anywhere to be and nothing to do, so if sleep at night eluded me I watched a show.

Lulu: Fainting must have been a scary thing. Glad you figured out the cause so quickly.

Yes, I bet it's the low blood pressure causing my faintness/nausea! I tend to have low BP even at normal times. But I just don't have the energy right now to go dig up my portable BP machine...

I took an oxycodone 30 minutes ago, so I'm ready to zonk off again. I like the idea of sleeping whenever I want, as long as I want. :sleep:

I was also getting chills, so I re-read the pain guidelines on this forum and realized that refusing to take the oxycodone was only punishing myself and making things worse, so I started taking 1 oxycodone every 5-6 hours, and feel so much better.
For some reason we all have this "thing" about taking the pain pills that we actually need for a better recovery.

I bet it's the low blood pressure causing my faintness/nausea! I tend to have low BP even at normal times.
Be sure you are staying well hydrated! I know it's hard to drink when you are nauseated, but I found that it really helped me. I have the same issue with low BP and when I get de-hydrated I end up dizzy and queasy.

8th day post-op update.

The nausea and feeling of faintness kept getting worse, so I stopped taking the oxycodone 3 days ago, and swapped naproxen for meloxicam. Still taking aspirin and Tylenol. Now that persistent nausea has faded and I feel almost normal. I still have a little feverish feeling (although my temp is normal). At least I'm able to eat normally again, Yay!

I removed my bandage 2 days ago as instructed, and was surprised to see that most of the bruising has already faded. The swelling of my thigh is very mild as well. I've been elevating every night while I sleep, and for several hours during the day, plus ice, ice, ice. I guess that's been helping. Thanks for that advice!

I'm still using a walker, and I can manage to navigate around the house. But I still can't stand with all my weight on my right leg. The pain is in the knee area, and my knee feels very unstable. Feels like it's wobbling, with stabbing pain above and on the right side of my knee. I realize this is probably normal at this stage of post-op. I'm just wondering if I should try to do a little more walking around the house to loosen things up. Or is it better to wait until the pain lessens on its own? I'm not doing any PT or stretching exercises either.

I'm still using a walker, and I can manage to navigate around the house.
At only days out of major surgery - of course you are using a walker. Use it until you feel confident to move to a crutch or cane. There is no hurry to transition.
I'm just wondering if I should try to do a little more walking around the house to loosen things up.
At this stage, just listen to that hip. Do not push through any pain or discomfort. Slow and steady works every time!

Very normal to have the knee pain, I think my knee hurt worse than my hip! It's all that twisting and turning they do to you while you are under anesthesia to get the hip replaced...ouch!
Here's what worked for me in early days, got up, made coffee, had a bowl of cereal, cleaned kitchen walked around my table 5-10 times in one direction then changed direction then...back to bed!
Repeat a few times per day, if it hurts don't do it.
I was on a walker over 6 weeks, not fun but it was necessary.
This is a recovery involving patience.
All my best.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Mahaan98
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom