THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

@Calgal and @Mayhip8 you are clearly strudel queens. @ahipgma are you going to give them a run for their money in the strudel competition? I will umpire if you all send the samples thank you very much! @ahipgma congrats on the retirement. I bet you'll soon wonder how you actually fit in time to work when you start all your next projects. @Mayhip8 i hope you have dried out your soggy children and they are now warm, cosy and ready for the pasta and meatballs. How's the weather with you and what about you @Calgal . Here in Yorkshire it has been torrential and perhaps the race needs to send us some puddle marshals as I could have done with them walking over to the car park after work. In fact today I had to give in and wore boots as there was no way I could manage peep toe shoes, which currently appear to be the most comfy but least well liked by me! My thigh is uncomfortable today and it has niggled me from getting up but I'm just putting everything down to healing and getting on with it, actually sometimes my colleagues have told me to use the lift rather than climb 2 flights of stairs because I instinctively go to the staircase but sometimes I am heaving myself up by the top!
Anyway wonderful ladies, @ahipgma enjoy the sunshine as I expect it is pleasant with you and @Mayhip8 and @Calgal to you 8 say get out those umbrellas, pull on those raincoats and don't let a bit of drizzle(!!!!!) stop you. Xxx
 
Torrential here in Worcestershire too @ChrissyW . Our soakaway drain was overflowing! Water butts near house (2) already full. We set up 3 auxillary huge storage tanks up the garden and they were emptied after summer...but now it's time to start pumping water up to fill them again for next year's gardening. Son went through a huge puddle this morning on the way to work and the water pulled off his front grille with his plate attached! He stopped and fished it out of the puddle but the clips were broken so we've ordered him another. The rains now seem so much more severe. :flabber:. Stay dry!
 
I remember running around all the early part of my day then going in to work 3-11
And then wondering why I hit the wall around 9pm, just when we had to give pm meds and settle everyone for the night.
God bless you @Mayhip8, it's hard to pace yourself being a caregiver at home and shift work caregiving too. When my kids were home there was so much to do and you want to keep it up on the mum front!
I worked all evenings and weekends for about 15 years-- when you have your surgery at least you'll be forced to rest.
Is your date firm at this point, or could they change it? I remember my undone leg being so painful and stiff right before my second surgery-- hope you can get some comfort and rest before the Big Day!
You all are making me jealous with your delicious sounding meals as my broken stove still sits there! Thank goodness for the microwave, the crockpot, and the grill. I wish I could bake something!
I'm going to call and bug the repairman tomorrow to see if he can track the mailing of my stove part...
Wow @Calgal even with a working stove I wasnt making things with fruit from my own trees! Sounds yummy.
@ChrissyW , I dont know what your climate is like in general but I wont take a trip to somewhere I would have to endure cold weather early! We have sunny days, cool nights great for sleeping, a lovely autumn so far for sure!
Hoping for drier, safer days for the hip sisters across the pond!!!!!:swim:
 
I literally didn't have a wink of sleep last night again-:yawn: I ache so much ! My hubby S got a cold type thing so was snoring like a snoring person in Snoresville and as much as I lose my patience with his snoring I choose to be kind and leave the pillow where it is.:yikes:
I'm Aware subconsciously that if he breathes on me I might catch his cold virus and my Op will be cancelled( I am full of irrational thoughts at times!!). So I jumped out of bed this morning :old: (!) and went for a swim :swim:and nipped to the shops for the proverbial cakes and ice cream for tomorrow night's birthday tea - I also bought the boy some extra surprise presents (silly ones to open when he gets home from school tomorrow )
I came home ate my brunch and promptly fell asleep for three hours! Bliss!:sleeep:
@Calgal i'm going to be bottling some apples on Friday as a neighbour gave me a glut - I'm going to get those Kilner jars at the ready! Do you live on quite a flat Rural area of Worcestershire? That area had a lot of floods a few years ago if I remember rightly? I've got family on the border of Herefordshire /Worcestershire a beautiful part of the country. We are sort of on a hill -the house is okay but the road at the bottom gets really flooded sometimes - it's a massive diversion to get to the office, no problem at the moment as I'm working from home ! we had a little glimpse of sunshine today:SUNsmile:. @ChrissyW it seemed drier in Yorkshire today from what I saw on the last bit of the cycle road race just now . How are you feeling now a few weeks into the new term and Full on prep? I think if it wasn't for my other hip my Headspace would be acting as if I've recovered - I'm less cautious about the way I move now with my operated hip .
The woman from the hospital rang me today to check whether I've got any infections or cuts or spots as a courtesy call and confirmed that I'm still listed for next Wednesday. Not long now then.:yes!::yay:

Are you at five weeks today @ahipgma , what day is your six week check ?
Well I've just seen the time and I better get up and go and get some tea cooked for this family of mine before I go and save the universe again!

Have a wonderful Wednesday evening
:loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:
 
Happy birthday to your son @Mayhip8!
Cant believe your surgery is coming so close. Being busy is probably a blessing!
I got calls from all different folks, the hospital the home health folks, my surgeons office the week before my surgeries. That kind if makes it all seem real and puts you in a patient mode.
You will be on my mind and in my prayers for sure, please just let me know a time! As I am 6 hours behind you I'd like to know to send positive vibes.
We didnt know each other preop last time so the support is so nice to have for the op itself! Hope your tea got ready and all enjoyed! You're probably at work now saving the world and guess what ?? @ChrissyW @Calgal my stove is fixed so now I can bake!!!! And Chrissy my hub has been dying for spaghetti and i couldnt even cook him any noodles and also for heating the meatballs. Woohoo! Back in business!
Oh yes and went to a wonderful wonderful PT today and he says I'll eventually be putting shoes and socks on like everyone else!!! All kinds of good news today!:happydance:
Love and hugs to all....
 
Last edited:
Maybe we should have a virtual great hipster bakeoff! What will everyone bake I wonder?? I was just explaining to hubby the other night after great British bake off was on TV about Harvey Wallbanger cake. Anyone remember that? Ha! Chrissy you might be too young! :heehee:. At least we won't gain any weight doing it online.
 
Hello all:wave:
Enjoying this wonderful fall with days in the 70s and nights in the 50s, mostly sun but today rainy--- I will remind this rain to bypass the UK as it sounds like you have had enough for a while.
After this check-in I'm going to start my new list of exercises I got from PT yesterday.
I seem to remember your doing scar massage early on @Mayhip8 ? What lotion or oil did you use ? Scar massage comes highly recommended by this new guy I'm going to. He said not to do my newer one yet...
I check in every day to the thread knowing youre inching closer to your date!:friends: How do you feel? Do you have the same surgeon and what approach will he use? Do you have to resurrect all your postop equipment from somewhere? I just stuck my cane in the umbrella stand to rest awhile. I was getting wrist and arm pain from using it and I dont want to awaken any more joint maladies.
The repair guy put me back in business with the stove yesterday, I'm like a kid with a new toy. I havent made quiche in a long time, thinking of making that, and I bake these healthy breakfast bars that have wheat germ and flax seed meal, honey etc, a meal in a bar and usually share with my daughters.
And hub very glad to be back in the meatball/ pasta business!
Hope everyone is well and thriving especially our last hippie to go,! Hang in there!
@Calgal & @ChrissyW :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
I remember Donna summer but I've never heard of a Harvey Wall banger cake! @Calgal

I think virtual bake off sounds a great idea :spin:it would be our very own hipster " Fake off" :heehee:

@ahipgma I'm pleased your stove is back in order, and you can get on with baking and cooking delicious food. I'm a good cook but a bit of a rubbish baker, perhaps I'll practice more ! I cheated by buying my sons birthday cakes yesterday. We did end up having a proper old-fashioned party tea with Cold meats, pork pie and pickle,jam tarts, cornflake cakes ,teacakes with marshmallows, and jelly and ice cream with an added special topping of squirty cream :dancy::happydance: It was good to have the whole family together and share laughs and precious time.

I was meant to be working yesterday but unfortunately was in too much pain from my neck and shoulder and have developed a strange painful swelling to my index finger, I have a doctor's appointment this afternoon to get checked out to see if it's going to affect my surgery date . I also have a small spot to my right thigh, I'm getting the foreboding feeling that things are not going to go ahead as planned. I had quite a tearful day yesterday when I was on my own, and as much as I try to talk myself around I do feel apprehensive and quite low in mood today.

@ahipgma - I use organic coconut oil to massage my scar around the area, I did apply organic pure aloe vera gel to the scar tissue where I had a problem with the healing because of a protruding suture, so I'm guessing I probably started massaging around the area within a couple of weeks . I have noticed that since starting to swim daily the "dent " in my muscles near the scar and numbness in the areas around my scar is lessening -I'm not sure if this is a coincidence or natural healing .
Well I'm off for a swim now Then having physio before going to visit my friend to keep myself occupied and my mind off my worries.
I hope everybody has a Frightfully good Friday and fabulous things happen

:loveshwr::roseshwr::friends::flwrysmile:
 
@Mayhip8 so sorry to hear you had a tough day yesterday. As we always say - the waiting is the worst part of this process. And I do remember the wait for my second THR was very "teary".

Not long now and you will join our double hippie club. The relief when both hips are done and dusted is great!

Happy Friday!
 
I'm so sorry you feel like you're running into a roadblock, dear @Mayhip8, by the time I check in you may have seen the doc, please let us know. You have been through a lot and have endured it all with positivity and grace and you will get thru this, but some times just try your patience. Will pray for you.:prayer:
Thanks for the info--
Coconut oil is all the rage here, to eat, to use on the body, a new health food etc, I'll look into that.
Glad you had a nice time with your family, and remembering that's why we go thru all this, to be able to have more and pain free nice times!
Love and hugs!
 
I'm sorry to hear you're dealing with so much pain @Mahip8
You'll have to let us know how the doctor appt turns out this afternoon.
I'm also sorry you're feeling emotional and now worrying things may not progress as planned.
Wishing you comfort and fingers crossed that all goes off without a hitch, as planned.
Hugs :console2:
 
Hello ladies. We all seem to have had a busy week. @Mayhip8 hows the finger? Also I've never heard of. Harvey wallbanger cake and @Calgal suggesting a bake off, with my skills it's a good job it's a virtual bake off as I'm sure my virtual cake is better than my real ones and so low in calories too!! Actually the sixth form hosted a Macmillan charity bake sale today. Really disappointing in the limited donations given, just the 3 of us in the sixth form, a couple of sixth formers and 2 other members of staff even though we'd sent whole staff emails out and asked gif donations in the staff briefing! Anyway the students raised over £100 and worked hard and did us proud. Glad everyone was a Donna Summer fan. I love disco music, especially chic so once we have our full crew recovered and fully bionic I think it should be 'everybody dance woohoo clap your hands clap your hands!'
@ahipgma glad the stoves back working and hubby can have his spaghetti and you can get back to the baking.
It's a cold evening but at least th rain has stopped. @Mayhip8 its been weird, dry at times (as you saw on tv) but then when it rained it sure did, proper heavens opened situation!
Have X good evening and hopefully we'll catch up over the weekend and @Mayhip8 you steer clear of any if those cold germs. Hugs to all xx
 
Hello everyone thank you for your kind wishes, the GP has prescribed antibiotic cream for my finger and for the spot on my thigh , he suggested I take a photograph and arrange for the consultant to see it on Monday so that he can make the decision .
My day has been calmer as I've been kept busy with one thing and another I saw my physio again who performed acupuncture to try and relieve this horrid neck pain then I went to visit my friend who is coping with her grief in such a stoical way . I then went for a swim and had the whole pool to myself so pretended I Owned the pool and it was attached to my own house.:swim: Anything for a touch of escapism !!
I'm home now and tucked up in my nest after having a few hours with the family . I have no plans for the next few days I'm going to take it as it comes and try to stay positive .
Looking forward to the new hip dance too ladies :egypdance::spin::dancy: get that Jukebox ready !!!
 
Still thinking of you, @Mayhip8 and hoping you've found some comfort and peace this weekend. Going down to stay overnight at my daughters and watch Ari Monday-- will check for updates.
Prayers and positive vibes ( not to mention a little shake of the pompoms)
Coming your way!:praying::yahoo::dancy:
 
Thankyou
Not feeling positive at all as the spot on my thigh is right on proposed incision line and my finger is still swollen- my shoulder is still painful.
I went for an early swim this morning but the weather has been horrid so I stayed in this afternoon and caught up with phone calls to my welsh family . My family here are all sneezing and full of colds and are trying to keep away from me but that doesn't really feel good!
Ah well , yet again - everything for a reason
I'm so tired tonight and just want to sleep away my worries-
Sorry for the negativity
I'll be right soon xxxxxxx
 
Hugs :console2: @Mayhip8
I sure hope you're not let down again. Crossing fingers :fingersx: and saying a prayer :prayer: for you.
Hopefully you sleep well tonight and tomorrow feels brighter.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom