THR Mayhip8's recovery thread

@ChrissyW I've been managing about 4000 steps a day but I can definitely feel it at the end! Was planning to up the goal to 5000 this week but think I'll keep it where it is for now. Last night I was too sore to sleep on my op side much, probably should have got up and got an icepack but too tired. Rained cats and dogs here too! More stormy weather due here for the weekend so it's no BBQs this week. :boohoo: Hoping the change in pressure isn't affecting @Mayhip8's hip #2 too much. :fingersx: . It won't be long for them now.

Wishing you all a slip-free weekend. :SUNsmile:

I'm lazing in my nest at the moment:yawn:
I had a rubbish nights sleep again mainly because of pain and discomfort ( in my arm!!!)
I was very busy yesterday so my muscles were well used, and I think the rain and damp - even though it's muggy affects the arthritis .
Last evening it was great weather so we had a ' staycation' time together outside on the garden . We had Tapas and a beer and chats and jokes and it felt lovely to be together around the table -as if we were on a little holiday!
My son has left now to go and set up camp at the Museum as there is an air display and events this weekend that he is volunteering at. I can't quite believe he is camping out in a tent !! as the weather forecast is heavy rain and potential for Gale force winds.:yikes: I do hope he hammers those tent pegs :dubious: ....I know he will be supervised well and it's not too far for us to collect him if things turn around. At nearly 16 I think he is more than capable of dealing with this and he will gain so much from the whole weekend, possibly not very much sleep!

So my plan for today is to actually have a lazy day in preparation for a busy weekend - In Continuation of the staycation theme I will catch up on some reading and some comedy on telly,later tonight family are coming up for the air fair and it's going to be great to catch up with everyone :dancy:

I think girl number two and I will have a special treat for tea tonight, as it's takeaway Friday, I'll let her choose which cuisine she prefers. Which is a win-win because it means no cooking for me yay :happydance::yay:
I wish you all a safe and comfortable and lovely Friday and I'll pop by later to see how things are

:flwrysmile::loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile::flwrysmile:

I hope the air fair goes ahead! They are predicting gale force winds in our area. Fingers crossed for your family. :fingersx:

Another week comes to an end for sure!
Less than two weeks now, our health plan called to see if I had any questions on my upcoming surgery. No, just:thud: ( not really.i just like the way the little guy falls over!)
Enjoying my last days before surgery loving the summer, going to some summer festivals and eating out a little.
Our weather has finally dried out a little and our humidity has gone way down.
Back to school sales at all the stores are on right now, and summer is winding down
Day before yesterday I had a really bad walking day. Yesterday after being a little stiff it was a good day. It will feel good to be completely done like you @ChrissyW and @Calgal.
Salmon on the grill tonight trying to figure out how to season it. I've lost some weight by giving up some carbs and sweets but have one treat a day which is a cookie or square of dark chocolate.
Tastes so good after waiting for it all day.
I hope your rain slows down and you have a sunny weekend!!!!:SUNsmile::flwrysmile::spin:

@ahipgma try brushing soy sauce on the salmon, or teriyaki marinade if you have some. NUM!

That does sound YUM @Calgal

@Mayhip8
Hi, I'm wondering if you have a date for your right hip yet? If so, let us know and it will be applied to your signature. I hope you're not suffering too much discomfort at this point. :console2:
Wishing you a great weekend although I'm gathering it's going to be a wet one for many of you across the pond. I'm sure you'll make the best of it indoors.
Hugs

Hope all of you are having pleasant dreams at the moment! I wish I could send you some of our dry sunny weather so your staycation and the air fair go well!
Shopped for my mom and hubs birthday today (they share September 18th) just trying not to have too much to do at only a few weeks out. At this point I'm trying to do stuff that if i dont do it now will end up waiting weeks and weeks, replacing a broken window blind and cooking some food to freeze for later. Almost like having a baby only with a grabber and a walker:heehee:.
My hub and I saw Herb Alpert in concert last night. Do you remember the Tijuana Brass?. He and his wife tour together. Shes 76 and he's 84. They did pretty well, he's got such a catalog of music to fall back on and they showed lots of shots from their youth on the screen behind them. They are married 45 years.
I looked around at the audience and they were all baby boomers like us. But I'm ok with that. His music brought back lovely memories.
Well its almost bedtime so I'm going to catch up with " Antiques Roadshow.
Maybe someday I'll find a valuable antique in my house besides the one I see in the mirror and the one I'm married to!:old: love and hugs, young ones !

It's been quiet around here this weekend. Perhaps it's this horrible weather we are experiencing in the uk. What's it like your side @ahipgma ? Anyway, whatever everyone is doing do it with care, love and happiness and just have a wonderful day with loved ones. :loveshwr::loveshwr::loveshwr:

Hi!! @ChrissyW @ahipgma @Calgal :flwrysmile:
I've been thinking of you all- Ive just come home from a walk and can now catch up .Eating a magnum in my nest :eyebrows:
I think I did about two miles on my own- round a local lake and park - the weather held off thank goodness.
So it's been quite a social weekend so far :yes!: My daughter and her boyfriend came round on Friday evening for a catch up, on Saturday hubby went off to the air fair early to help out, and my youngest daughter went over to her buddies for the day. I mooched about a bit and caught up with some stuff and then met up with family later in the afternoon. Everybody ( apart from my son who stoically camped out) returned back home to get changed as we went out for an evening meal together - then on to nannies house for a few hours. My main problem is seating . It still hurts me to sit down for a long time, I didn't quite get round to getting that cushion so that is my mission this afternoon as my butt hurts today. :shocked:
My other issue is a trapped nerve in my shoulder still which is absolutely dreadful. I've been trying some acupressure on it to see if that will help if it doesn't settle I'll have to see the GP and get some amitriptyline or something which I'm highly reluctant to do .

This morning we had a few hours together before hubby was picked up to go back to the Air fair by his sister and brother-in-law. I mooched about and was planning on meeting up with them later to watch the fly past when he texted me to let me know my car keys were in his pocket :bolt:
So instead I went for my walk :walking:
I personally don't think the weather is been as bad as predicted around these parts - it's obviously not ideal weather for summer but it's okay. There again I wasn't camping out in it all weekend! How's it been for everyone else?

Another question I was wondering was if you could give yourself a percentage to say how much you were feeling back to 'good normal' what would you say?

So last week I'd say I was probably 50% back to normal but today because of what I've achieved I'd say I was more like 70 % if that makes sense?

So the things I can do are increasing, for example I've managed to cut my toenails, apart from my little toenail on my left foot because I can't stretch that far,:thud: I climb the stairs with both legs, I can get in and out of the bath, I am driving more frequently and comfortably, I did lie on my front in bed last night for a few minutes but then panicked because I thought I was probably doing something wrong.
I've been shopping and carried some shopping whilst walking which is something I haven't been doing.
I wonder if I could've pushed myself a bit a bit more ? but anyway- it is what it is.
@Layla I don't yet have a date for my surgery which I am finding frustrating - but everything for a reason no doubt.
I've got another week of annual leave ahead of me and a few appointments to keep me out of mischief no doubt but nothing much else planned after mid week so there is a part of me that's hankering for a short trip away somewhere ....
@ahipgma your evening of entertainment sounds wonderful, and I love your description of the 'Antiques Roadshow'. Reflected in the mirror of your house:loll:
Well I'll leave it there for the moment as we have more visitors coming in a bit and I'll go and put that kettle on.
So hope your evening goes well and nice things happen:happydance:
love and hugs :roseshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile::loveshwr:

Wow! You've been a busy bee! And 50-70% given a second ratty hip squeaking (and shoulder!) is commendable! :wowspring:

Hubby and I had to run out last evening in the rain and wind and shore up my beloved tomato plants whose stakes were falling down in the horrible gales. :sos: One of my apple cordons also burst it's tie to the stake and had to be re-tied today. The rain is gone but the wind took its toll. Everything is heavy with leaf and fruit so it didn't stand a chance. Hopefully we've got the hatches battened down now in case another storm comes through. Whew! :fingersx:

I'm probably 70%. Totally arbitrary. I had a walk with pooch and hubby today at some woods I haven't seen the upper trail of for over 6 months! It was about 2miles, the longest stretch I've walked I think. I did about half of it without a crutch but still needed it, especially uphill and at the end. Hmm. Maybe make that 70 down to 60%? I'm not hurting now which is promising.

I feel it in my bones that you will get a date soon. They wouldn't do the op too far out from your preop appointment, right? :praying:. Have a great week!

Happy Sunday!
Our weather here in PA is spectacular.We had dinner guest last night so we ate outside on our raised deck which is in our woodsy back yard.
It's like I cant get enough summer, because soon it will take a back seat to recovery.
Interesting question @Mayhip8 about how normal. When going about my day I really try to concentrate on how the right new hip is going because the left is giving me all sorts of grief. Pain is pain you know?
I would say the problem I have is lateral muscular pain and stiffness starting out. The stiffness has me so frustrated because I dont naturally and easily get up from anywhere but then after about ten steps my leg is better. I'd say about 70-80% on any given day for the new hip?
I still cant get down on my knees then get up with any ease at all, though. Does that ever come back? Would more concentrated muscle strengthening help? I will be trying a different PT place next time and I will have a lot of questions for them for both legs!
This coming week will be lots of phone calls to me about insurance and clearance and a week before stopping a lot of my meds that thin the blood.
I feel its coming all too quickly but wish I could just get it over with at the same time.
But truthfully I feel this new hip is supportive and strong and reliable it's just the soft tissue and muscle that's still not normal yet.
That said,I have bunches of plans for the upcoming week, theater with my husband ( a comedy about midlife hmm should ring a bell)
Church festival, dinner with friends, maybe a trip down to see my daughter and Ari.
So time should go quickly till the big day arrives. So glad I will have you all pulling for me! @Calgal and @ChrissyW.
Later my dears!:wave:

y main problem is seating . It still hurts me to sit down for a long time
Me too even WITH the memory foam cushion! Ouchie ouchie. About 40-60 minutes and I'm squirming. :groan:

Hi ladies.:wave: In terms of recovery I think I'm around the 75 % mark. I can do most things I normally do. I go out when I want in the car, go to shops, cafes etc and might fidget a bit but don't have too much trouble sitting but I still can't tie a shoe lace normally on my op leg. I've developed a 'lie on the bed, raise knee manoeuvre whereby I can get to the lace and more or less tie a bow. As such getting to my toe nails on that same leg is still courtesy of the grabber or hubby ( who is improving as a nail technician). Also, as my bath in deep and oval, I prefer him to be here and holding my hand so to say when I climb in and out. I have found that I go up and down most stairs in the normal step manner however I still do the one step at a time climb mostly at home but our steps are old stone stairs that are both deep and uneven and I can't remember using a normal stride up them for a very long time (though my memory is also a bit scrambled at times so I may have once upon a time used them 'normally'- I hate that word as what is normal to one isn't to someone else . I'm not sure if much of these issues are more psychological than physical however I am not going to force anything as my body will tell me when it's ready and just do it. :spin::dancy:
What plans do you have today? @ahipgma glad you have things to keep you focused this week. Get out there and get treating yourself. In fact glitz up that grabber ready or let Ari decorate it next time she is with you. Perhaps tinsel, streamers and Pom poms ?
Good to hear you escaped the really bad weather @Mayhip8 . Shame poor @Calgal cant say the same for her tomatoes! It was sporadic here yesterday. When it rained it was heavy and very windy but it improved late afternoon and has been quite pleasant today, though I had to work on religious studies. I must say it was very interesting and I'm looking forward to teaching it ( that is until I'm in a classroom with a group of students who don't want to know about religion which is normally the case) I have also started an online course for a diploma in feline behaviour so I'm keeping my brain active today in between walking around the house!
Any, laters ladies mwah mwah :roseshwr::loveshwr:

getting to my toe nails on that same leg is still courtesy of the grabber or hubby ( who is improving as a nail technician).

:rotfl:. I'm so jealous of your hubby's talents @ChrissyW ! I had to beg and threaten no more cooking to get mine to clip my toenails that were snagging those dreaded ted socks 3 weeks post op! :sos:

Omg @ChrissyW I wouldn't trust my hub to do my toenails! I laugh just thinking about it! I risked the nail salon for a pedicure twice since my op. My toenails are currently a sprightly pretty gray- blue and they're staying that way. If they want my polish off next Wednesday they can take it off because I'm getting maximum mileage out of the pedi!
I've got a bunch of stuff planned for this week. On wednesday I have to discontinue my NSAIDs fish oil, etc. I really guard my undone leg so as long as I don't make a false move I'm ok, but if I do yikes!!! I can't believe both my legs were like this once. I got approval of my procedure today by insurance in the mail I'm approved for a 2 day stay. I plan to leave the day after in the afternoon unless some complication arises. Then I wont be charged unless it can't be justified.
If i felt safe I'd love to go home same day but the pain meds make me nauseated and drop my pressure-- not a safe thing.
So i was grateful for the running iv and the iv pain meds and not to mention all the nausea and vomiting. Soooooo
I guess I'll stay overnight again :sigh:
We entertained our new priest for dinner last Saturday, we are devout Roman Catholics, even with the horrible mess our Church is in. I find religious studies interesting and neat to talk about.
I will be anointed again before my surgery by another dear priest friend.
My husband is a deacon and can marry, baptize, and bury folks. What I would do without my faith I do not know.
So off my soapbox, I jump, hips and all :heehee:.
Well, gonna go for a walk and water my flowers as we havent had rain for 4 days
Then its Antiques Roadshow night.
A peaceful sleep to all,
Love and hugs.:loveshwr:

Hi:flwrysmile:
@ahipgma - I'm pleased your'e able to keep busy as the countdown to pain free movement ( eventually) Continues.Are you first on the list for surgery? For my left hip I went to theatre at 14.00 and returned to the ward at 17.00 on Wednesday and had planned to try and be discharged on the Friday - but unfortunately I got a migraine on the Friday so left Saturday- I can't quite comprehend leaving hospital the next afternoon! im not sure I'd have the confidence- though being in your own home and bed is bliss! (Comparatively)
Having your faith and all that includes must be a comfort to you and your family and that's so important at life's toughest times ( as well as in celebration).
@ChrissyW teaching R.E must be a great challenge if the class isn't receptive- then again teaching anything if the class isn't receptive must be one of the toughest things! I'm not sure I'd have the patience- I'm a bit 'old school' at times ( sit down/shut up and listen/pass that exam!!! ) and would find it a tough job to do - hats off to you and all teachers :cheers2:- (drinking cocktails apparently!:heehee:)
@Calgal I hope the winds settle - it's such a shame when fruit that's nearly ripe gets ripped from its tree - you have to be creative and hand ripen (but it's a bit too early for apples and pears I think?) hope the tomatoes hold out.... I LOVE home grown tomatoes - hubby tries every year to grow some with varying results - we don't have a glass house and the weather is pants!
So yesterday evening I went for a Three mile walk to my friends house (and back) I could feel muscle cramps in my calf by the end of the walk so enjoyed a good soak in Epsom salt bath with oils when I ' jumped 'in it :shocked: it's a skill I am mastering :heehee: I slept really well and was enjoying a cup of tea in bed this morning when the hospital rang me at 8 am - they have rescheduled my blood tests for 2 pm today and then I can see the surgeon to sign the consent form at 3 pm which means only one hospital trip this week :yahoo:
A few steps closer to that elusive surgery! I must admit when she said she was from the hospital my heart skipped a beat and my tummy did a little turn. I told my husband this and he said " is that because you're in love with her "? .... :loll:.... I will be when she gives me a date !!!
So I hope we all have a cheerful Tuesday and that whatever comes our way is positive and everything that we can handle. I'll pop by later to update after my hospital visit

Love and hugs to all :loveshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:

:wow:. Do ya think that they will give you a date today??? They must have an idea if you're already at the blood tests and consent form stage. Fingers crossed!! :fingersx::fingersx::fingersx:

Try the tomato variety called FERLINE. I always grow it outside and it's blight resistant.

Have a great day! Give us the update asap! :thumb:

Good morning!
How exciting @Mayhip8! It doesnt make sense to do all your preop stuff only to have surgery weeks later, does it? So maybe it will be soon and we can go thru it together. Heck, soon after we can hobble on to a virtual plane with our walkers with @ChrissyW and @Calgal carrying our canes and grabbers and be off on a virtual trip, they helped me so much to mentally recuperate before.
I havent had a really good tomato, pretty good, but not caprese worthy -- I dont know if it's because here in our region the weather hasn't been the best for tomatoes, they seem so touchy to grow. My dad used to grow some early ones and some late ones but they all seemed to put forth tomatoes just about at the same time.
Weve had good fruit, though, peaches and melons that we really enjoyed. So all in all, pretty good!
Still cleaning and cooking against the time when I go back to afternoon naps and just getting through day by day for those first couple of weeks. Our weather has turned gloomy but we had such a stretch of beautiful weather.
We again crunched numbers yesterday in the light of not having my salary and I'm determined to cut back on buying stuff I dont need. We have only ourselves to support at this time so there will be ways to do it. I plan to look for casual work once i am able to stand for long periods, because nursing is not a desk job for the most part.
Well, better get started, so which room do I hobble around and clean today? Maybe by next Wednesday I'll be glad just to lie around?:tada:
Have a great day y'all check you out later!

What a long afternoon that was ! :yawn:
Had blood tests ,ECG ,X-Ray of my neck to check what's going on with neck and shoulder pain -nothing serious seen (phew!) - it's a soft tissue injury from the RTA I had in December. Will await physio.

Had a good chat with the consultant (finally) and my date for surgery is September 20 th with a provision for earlier if a cancellation occurs.:happydance:
Just going to digest that information now.:yikes::shocked:
@ahipgma @ChrissyW @Calgal @Layla @Jaycey :loveshwr:
:flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks