BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Mayhip8's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Mayhip8, May 21, 2019.

1. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @ChrissyW They are year end exams .GCSE next year . I agree water and good nutrition is brain food - alongside revision and confidence and sleep - and good job I picked up bananas too- I'll tell them you advised them to have one with breakfast - Thankyou :) :-) (:

2. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

United States United States
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

Yes, another week gone by...
    We are getting to be quite the gadabouts , visiting children, going shopping and to a park to get fresh air,and heres what I did.
    We had gift cards for someplace called the Cheesecake Factory so off we went, hub, daughter and Ari.
    Hub and I had pasta dishes, daughter had a seared tuna salad and granddaughter had a kids portion of salmon and mashed potatoes.
    But, it's called the Cheesecake Factory for a reason.
    The two pieces we picked to share were hazelnut covered with nutella and cinnamon crunch, both with a mountain of real whipped cream beside.
    Unreal. Now I sort of feel guilty and I sort of dont:whistle:. Oh well!
    Doesn't it feel good to do normal person things, with the new hip just coming along for the ride!
    @ChrissyW its true your baby is always your baby, even when she has a baby! It is hard to watch them go thru things. My daughter had a little bit of postpartum depression and while everyone fussed over the baby I would also watch her and worry, big circles under her eyes, looking exhausted.
    All is better now thank goodness.
    @Mayhip8, I took my husband along to grocery shop especially for produce because its heavy ,till I could drive. He very kindly remarked that he didn't know it was so much work and he appreciated my being the main grocery shopper.
    Heres to a week of better sleep and good progress ahead.:yes:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Good morning @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma like you comment we have had eventful weekends. @Mayhip8 i think @ahipgma needs to take us both to this Cheesecake Factory. I'm not a big cheesecake fan normally but always enjoy a good New York style or anything with cinnamon. As you both know I'm no baker and have only once attempted cheesecake and I shall never venture there again! No body, not even the dog we had at the time would eat it! I have never tasted anything as horrible and I swear I followed the recipe! Well I did up to a point but I kept tasting it, it was horrid so kept adding various types of alcohol thinking it would mask the flavour and all it did was get worse so I think visiting somewhere with delicacies would be a worthy trip. I could ask for a recipe perhaps and I'd make you both another during your 2nd rounds, would you like that :angel:? Hope you both slept better than me, my spasmy, cramps, horrible feeling thigh was back with avengence so sleep didn't appear until the early hours and then came in short phases, but still better than nothing at all. Feeling yawny now though:yawn:. Hugs to you both and positive vibes to your children @Mayhip8 who will be little stars, like their mum, in their exams:yahoo:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

Good morning on this Sunny Monday - though I do believe there will lots and precipitation coming soon. I would like to have gone for a walk in the sunshine but my right hand and wrist is so sore! I probably put a lot of weight through it yesterday while doing the shop, i've been walking around in the night when I needed to without crutches but I wouldn't dream of doing that outside yet. I'll try a support bandage and some anti-inflammatory cream I could do without this happening !
    I had also intended preparing a chicken dinner for tonight as we didn't have time yesterday and I do like a chicken dinner! I have to wait till the troops can help when they get in from school. And I am cooking a special apple crumble and custard as I didn't get round to making it last week. I'm so cheating, I'm using tinned apples and aunt Bessie's crumble mix! I will put a little cinnamon and maybe a few sultanas into the apples, and some extra oats into the crumble mix for extra crunch. I have not had my breakfast yet and that's making me hungry.!!!
    @ChrissyW I have a great recipe for cheese cake. Nip to Waitrose. Buy cheesecake. Take it home and remove from box. Place on nice plate , Scrunch it up a little around the edges to make it look home-made. TA- DA!! .....sorted. :catdance:
    @ahipgma your weekend treat sounds scrumptious! I would definitely come along for a visit and probably choose something lemon-based unless they do an apple crumble cheesecake hmmmmm....there's a thought..
    I wonder if your long journey has anything to do with an unsettled night @ChrissyW may be a build up of lactic acid or slow circulation from the car journey ? that's just me hazarding a guess . I hope you manage many naps today to make up for your poor nights sleep. I didn't do too badly and found myself lying on my left side supported with pillows and even at one point my body was wanting to lie on its right side though I know it's a no-no. In fact apart from my hand I really feel like get going today if I had a swimming pool I would jump in it as I love swimming and it usually really helped my hips and back. :swim:
    However I shall just have a refreshing shower instead.
    Well my lovelies, enjoy whatever Monday has to offer - I have managed to work out you are about 5 hours behind @ahipgma ? So your dawn chorus had yet to happen :chuck:
    Oh BTW- I saw a good jolly film on Netflix last night with Rebel Wilson called,"isn't it romantic?" It's worth a watch as its quite funny..
    Love and hugs :roseshwr::loveshwr::flwrysmile:

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

@Mayhip8 thank you so much for ghd cheesecake recipe. Sounds like a nice and simple recipe that I couldn't get wrong! :heehee:
    Well, regardless of the poor sleep and thank you for the possible reason ( no idea why but the minute I saw the words lactic acid I thought of the crocodile hunter but obviously with it being me with the possible build up of the acid I would need to be the crocodile or have I gone completely mad and got the wrong acid!). I'd like to think you were right so I can get back on track tonight. No idea what came over me this morning as I have dusted! Me, duster, gold dust!
    Your chicken dinner with apple crumble and custard to follow sounds yum. I'm going to virtually eat it because I know I'm not having a roast or a pudding! I really do need to be a better shopper and get things in that can make me emergency yummy things!
    Enjoy the day ladies:friends:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

Happy Monday!
    Cloudy here, but not too bad.
    @Mayhip8, I dont know about you but the contrast between done and not done yet is becoming more pronounced every day.
    The discomfort in the postop hip is there for sure, but its tissue soreness, that I can actually feel when I press around. Muscle pain too, but when I try to go for my 1/2 mile walk, the postop hip feels loosened up and better, and the still arthritic joint feels lit up and more painful.
    Getting a little excited for my OS appt. On Thursday, will he let me set a date for number 2?
    I also got mail from work saying I got a Daisy Award which is an award for exemplary nursing. Hmmm. I'm not minding being off nursing for a while. Exemplary or not!
    For you and also @ChrissyW, are you able to take a decent amount of time off, our teachers here more or less have summers off.
    I also find myself being less observant of my precautions, I can sleep on my non operative side with a pillow between the legs but can't put pressure on the OP side yet, the scar hurts.
    Sleep is pretty good although back and forth to the bathroom and flipping positional pillows all around still happens all night.
    Its during the day, when I'm all comfy in a chair and feeling almost no pain, then getting up....ugh. still starting off stiff and limping.
    But have hope that this will keep improving!
    Also staying away from cheesecake for a while! The extra weight it causes can't be good for getting put of that chair!
    Tonight my fave show is on-- Antiques roadshow. We have cable TV that has a movie channel but the selection is not as good as Netflix. My hub and I are watching old old reruns of "Columbo" from the 70s -- where you see the murder then see Columbo unravel it.
    Fascinating to see the huge gas guzzling cars and clothes and hairstyles of the 70s!
    I remember final exam time when my girls were in high school and college.
    Tense for sure. I'm sure some celebratory sweets will be welcomed.
    Any new goals or aspirations for the week? Will you get to drive soon?
    I have a suggestion for our next weekend
    Saw "To Catch a Thief " recently with Cary Grant and Grace Kelly.
    Maybe the Riviera?
    Love and hugs:friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  9. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

@ahipgma as teachers we get 6 weeks off in summer, all August with the last 2 weeks of July. Strangely work rang me today. Last week they asked me to send whatever I had from the consultant as they asked if I had a 'fit' note. Never having had to have time off I had no idea what that was and explained I had a paper from the hospital and it referred to me not being fit to work so they to.d me to send that in. Today they said I need to get a formal fit note from my doctor that states I am not fit to work and is back dated to my surgery. I rang the doctor and as I've not had one before I have yo have an appointment so now I need to ring the surgery at 8am to get an appointment tomorrow. A big of a farce really when work had adequate notice and know I'm not having a lovely time 'chillin' at home for fun! Bureaucracy! What are your employers like @Mayhip8 ? Well done @ahipgma on your award too, that most certainly deserves a trip to the riviera for our next virtual visit.
    I'm going to go and make tea (dinner to you @ahipgma i think) nothing exciting just poached chilli and garlic chicken, jacket potato and salad- I'd much rather be having @Mayhip8 s roast chicken dinner, apple crumble and custard!
    Ciao for now my lovelies xx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

@ChrissyW lactic acid is a by product of anaerobic respiration - it builds up in muscle after excertion and unless it's dispersed by gentle stretching it can cause cramping or a "stitch' in abdominal muscles for example,( I think I've remembered that correctly) but I'm totally not familiar with crocodile biology I feel I may have missed out here?!
    And as we say in these parts "winner winner Chicken dinner" Yey! Oh it was delicious - though I say so myself! Team effort and Yorkshire puddings ( I know) The boy child is just serving up the apple crumble et al as we speak... This house smells divine - I do hope you enjoyed your vicarious meal?.
    I quite like the sound of your tasty evening meal too..flavoursome yet healthy - a good combination.
    I'm coming back in a bit to answer other questions as my hand is hurting typing - and my dessert is ready!!
    Il dictate the next postings and see how predictive text reacts!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

@ahipgma - yes I feel the same with my hips - there is a definite difference in pain - the left is no longer arthritic in nature and gets better with mobilising, the right is still cramping at night because of non-movement but doesn't respond well to me walking on it too much. I've been protecting it by putting my weight through onto my right hand Which after yesterday's long walk is quite painful and I can't use my crutches today so I am resting it as much as I can. It's not too long for you to wait now until you hear when you can get your other one done. I'm feeling quite excited for you to!
    Congratulations on your Daisy award - it's good to be recognised and a lovely thing whilst you're recouperating
    And a trip to the Riveira to celebrate sounds just the ticket!
    You asked about leave - I get around 8 weeks pro data holiday (I've saved them up this year to,help with my phased return)
    In terms of sickness leave I only get paid for four weeks - after that I have statutory sick pay from our Social Security of around £90.00 per week ( paid in from our NAtional insurance contributions over our working life )
    I work in a social enterprise company so the benefits aren't as good as when I worked for the national health service . Luckily I managed to put some aside and work lots of extra shifts knowing that this was planned for this year.

@ChrissyW what should happen is your consultant should have given you a fitness to work note (it used to be a sicknote.) when you left hospital . GPs in our area won't give you an initial fitness note if you've been under the care of a consultant in hospital so if it's the same with you it might be worth ringing the ward you stayed on and asking for them to send you a backdated copy. Or you could ring the consultant secretary in the morning if your GP is unable to see you. Realistically the GP should be able to give you a further fit note following a telephone triage. The reason you need it is for national insurance purposes so your company can claim some statutory sick pay back .HR dept really should be explaining this to you . They should also have a plan so you can keep in touch to feel supported and discuss back to work issues when the time is right- if you're off sick you can't claim holiday pay and have to have it back -not sure if you know this? Again check your HR policy.
    Apologies if you already know any of the above -
    I've felt really good today and despite pain in my hand I've done a fair amount- this afternoon though I felt a bit "weird"- dizzy/teary so tired yet edgy.. Then I Realised I've not had any codeine since last night! OMG! I wonder if this is withdrawal? So I took one and will wean myself off them over the next few days...
    Enjoy Antiques roadshow @ahipgma - is it American based or the UK version?
    I used to love Colombo too!
    However I'm now going to the countryside (virtually!) and catching up with Emmerdale - it's filmed in Yorkshie - are you in it @ ChrissyW- I'll look out for you in the woolly!!
    Evening greetings
    PS Oh how delicious was that dessert?!! Far far too delicious.. :wowspring::yes!:

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

Now that last comment @Mayhip8 !! My vicarious tasting of the wonderful pudding was enjoyable, far more than my real life pudding of a yoghurt (be it a pear and apple crumble weight watched yoghurt that was quite nice!)
    Thank you for the info. When I initially went to see hr I thought I might have had forms to fill n then but she told me no, I just didn't turn up like any other time off for sickness, regardless of it being planned absence( and all my lessons have been prepared and left so I kept up my side of the bargain!) I will try the GP at 8 and if I have no luck there I'll try the consultant or ward after. If anyone at work wants evidence I'll happily flash my nice long scar! Did you get the email today with the scar care link! @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma there was also info for us to upload photos of our scars to an area on the site. I'm thinking about it but not sure whether my derrière is photogenic or not and whether I need to get my son in to take the photo(he's a professional photographer). Sleep well and hopefully we all get a refreshing, peaceful night ready for riviera planning (oh how glamorous again!) :yahoo:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

OMG#1
    I thought we had the most convoluted health care stuff, work leave stuff over here. Hmmm. Its universal.
    OMG#2
    No way is my elephant hide
    (and elephant size ) butt and scar appearing on this forum. Not happening.
    OMG #3
    No Antiques Roadshow tonight!
    Pre empted for some golden moldy oldie music show.
    OMG #4
    Now I keep craving apple crumble.

Hope you are both snoozing a peaceful pain free snooze with minimal loo trips right now :sleeep:. Its 945 PM here. See you in the am!

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

@ahipgma sorry you missed out on antiques roadshow but we both got to imagine how good @Mayhip8 s crumble tasted and feel jealous so I was not alone there. How did you sleep ladies? Mine was an improvement and perhaps the herbal nytols are having a delayed response because I wen yo bed again 9.30 and got out of it to one downstairs at 5.30 and minus 3 loo trips and 3 walks around I think I manages a total of 5 hours so that is the best so far. Hubby taking me out gif a meal tonight for my birthday and I've told him I expect a birthday cake of some sort ( well I'm allowed to be demanding today!):angel:
    Strange conversation with doctors receptionist that some way contradicted the one I spoke to yesterday but I need to wait for a call back from either the doctor or a receptionist to sort out ghd fit note! What a palaver ( very old fashioned word there and clearly spelt correctly as the computer says yes!).
    What plans do you both have for the day! @Mayhip8 sre you venturing out in the cold? What is going on with he weather? Did someone forget to mention this is late spring/early summer so should be warmer and brighter. Even a little sunshine raises the spirits! Looking forward to your updates :loveshwr::friends:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  15. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

@ahipgma your post made me chuckle! And look!! I've found font and colours!!
    I don't know if I'll put my scar on. I have a fab editing software that if I do put my scar on I Would be tempted to make it look like it was THE scar to have - every one would want one - and we may find people clamouring to undergo surgery in order to keep up with the latest craze!!!
    And that won't do!
    We are a special club of hipsters with a special bond and we can spot each other in a crowd ( probably in a changing room or naturist beach -perish the thought)
    our scars bind us without defining us
    They tell a story of strength and pain
    They knit and weave the essence of courage and positivity
    With a smattering of uncertainty and fear
    Allayed by the common core of friendship and community
    We are not the scar
    We are the scar warriors!

But ladies as we may have said in our youth
    "You show me yours and I'll show you mine" :heehee::loll:

This Tuesday is wet and miserable outside so I think I'll practice my moonlight sonata as my hand is better today
    Tonight's dinner is special I made up . We call it " mums cauliflower please"...
    Cauliflower cheese baked with tiny cubes of Ciorizo and tiny chopped up bits of Kale or cabbage .
    I also about a third the volume of macaroni cheese ( home made or tinned)
    Stir it up and bake til cooked and brown and bubbling on top,
    (I used to follow the slimming world diet so would substitute low calorie/low fat if I was making it that way )
    Serve with crusty bread or just have another portion!
    I'm not doing this healthy eating very well am I ? :snork:
    Cheerful Tuesday lovelies :flwrysmile::loveshwr:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Mayhip8

Mayhip8 member

:loveshwr:@ChrissyW Happy birthday to you !
    I'm please you managed a better evening in preparation for your day of specialness and celebration
    Have a lovely day and enjoy ! Xxx

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  17. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

Oh @ChrissyW
    Happy, Happy birthday!! You're not getting older, you're getting better, as the old haircoloring commercial used to say over here. Especially that your hip is getting better is applicable!
    Can't wait to hear what yummy dinner you order! And of course, cake!...
    And the gift of sleep is priceless. and thats a stretch with enough time for restful REM sleep in there. May it continue.
    My kitchen floor was pretty dirty and I have a vaccum cleaner type gadget with little tank of cleaner in so one can clean a floor without being on your knees.
    So when they cancelled Antiques Roadshow, I cleaned my kitchen.
    However no cooking in it today, as a friend brought a pasta dish over yesterday enough to feed an army, so we're having that.
    Your cauliflower dish sounds wonderful,@Mayhip8! That's the kind of dish your kids will make after you and will go on down the generations. I have a few recipes handed down from grandmother to my mom to me and when my daughter got married we made up an album of family recipes for her.
    The part of your post about our scars was lovely -- I needed to hear it today.
    I guess we sent our icky rainy weather of yesterday across the pond because I'm looking out at clear sunshine today.
    Whatever the weather enjoy, dear friends.
    :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  18. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

:yes!:To my lovely hippy sisters, we are warriors with the scars to prove it! Now tell me the picture this creates in your mind and if it is the same as mine because the minute I saw us as warriors we looked more like we should have been in the Masai mara rather than on the pages of vogue! @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma thank you for the birthday wishes, they are really appreciated. I rationalise in strange ways and said to my husband this morning that I cannot be another year older because part of the body born those 50 years ago disappeared on the 4th May and now I'm a new woman, with bionic parts who will not age ( did superwoman or Wonder Woman ever age).:curtsey:
    That cauliflower dish of yours @Mayhip8 sounds wonderful. Cauliflower is my favourite and much to my husbands distaste I can actually eat a whole one, on my own, simply boiled for Sunday lunch. ( please ignore any after effects this brings to mind:snork:) No need for meat just lots of yummy gravy over it! I also like it how my mum used to cook it. Boil slightly then cool, dip in egg and flour and fry, cauliflower fritter things and really moreish. Here we go again, talking food making me hungry. I was having a strange curried lentil, warm in the bag thing for lunch that my husband had bought me a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately it was horrid (nearly as bad as the cheesecake I made previously) and it went in the bin. I hate waste but I just couldn't eat it so ended up have a cinnamon bagel with a laughing cow cheese spread so I deserve a nice meal tonight.
    Just something that sprung to mind with the little scar ditty about the hippy sisterhood that the pt told me in hospital and I wondered if you'd noticed it. She said they could tell people who'd had hip surgery as they had flat bottoms. My right side is very flat and it's funny ( I had to look in the mirror) when I do a glute squeeze and tense my bum the left side goes relatively perky ( ok it moves a bit) but nothing on the right, it stays completely flat. Maybe we'll need kardashian style pants that shape and lift our bums (like bras but for bums!) if non exist let's get inventing ladies!:happydance:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. ChrissyW

ChrissyW senior

image.jpeg Just had to show you both @Mayhip8 and @ahipgma the notebook my husband bought me!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. ahipgma

ahipgma senior

This is great, @ChrissyW what a witty, caring husband you have!
    And I like your math about averaging in the age of your hip with your chronological age! Works for me too!
    Wonderful birthday so far I think!! :thumb:

• Like Like x 3