May Marvelettes 2012 - Are you having knee surgery in May?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Piglet, you need to plan for at least 12 weeks off from work if at all possible. You want to give yourself plenty of time. If you do especially well and can go back sooner, then you and your boss are happy at that change in plans. Happiness doesn't always work with the other direction should you need to tell him you must be off longer than planned.
 
Jamie's advice of 12 weeks is great. If you are one of those "fast healers" then you can go back early. It is so important to let that knee heal if you can afford to take the time off.
 
Work have asked how long I will be off after the next op. what is a realistic time scale as the os has said 6 weeks? My gp will be ok to give longer. I want to get back as soon as I can but this time I want to listen to my knee and not rush and overdo it. I will have a phased return but don't know what that will look like.
Any advice on realistic time scales (appreciating we are all different) and back to work phasing would be greatly appreciated
As an occupational health nurse, it is often my job to release people to return to work after major surgery or illness and hip and knee replacements seem to figure in the majority! The general protocol is 12 weeks off and this Phased return to work. Read that carefully as people often have a tendency (I have found) to just think about the work and forget all the other stuff that makes those early days punishing.

Fact is, it's much easier to cite a longer period of absence and return earlier if it becomes possible (which pleases the boss!) than be too optimistic and then have to change it to later (cross boss!). See what I'm saying?
 

As an occupational health nurse, it is often my job to release people to return to work after major surgery or illness and hip and knee replacements seem to figure in the majority! The general protocol is 12 weeks off and this Phased return to work. Read that carefully as people often have a tendency (I have found) to just think about the work and forget all the other stuff that makes those early days punishing.

Fact is, it's much easier to cite a longer period of absence and return earlier if it becomes possible (which pleases the boss!) than be too optimistic and then have to change it to later (cross boss!). See what I'm saying?

Thanks very much. It's my occ health nurse who first said not to rush back. My boss said to take my time this time around as I came back too soon after the arthroscopy However when I mentioned to the occ health nurse 8 weeks she said I may be able to come back sooner?!

Anyway have extended my cover to 10 weeks and moved my two weeks rehab at the police convalescent home I pay into back by a fortnight so I wontbe looking at the phased return bit until at least the 11th week if I'm up to it. They have booked me in for a phone review a fortnight after the op.

Thanks for the advice as last time I only concentrated on the work and ended up working full time in my phased part
Thanks again
 
"The general protocol is 12 weeks off and this Phased return to work."

Interesting Josephine. My dr is stating 4 weeks off from work, maybe 6 weeks on the outside. I was thinking maybe longer as it is my right knee and I need it for driving but no, they're sticking with 4 weeks.
 
Hello all,
I visit the doctor on May 7, 2012 and have a tenative surgery date of May 17, 2012. Can I be a May Marvelette too? Sounds a bit femine, but that's OK. Anybody that can get through this surgery is not a sissy. I am looking forward to the surgery. One of my symptoms is one leg (with bad knee) is now about 5/8 shorter than the other. I talked to one person who said post-op her leg with the artifical knee ended up longer than the one without the operation. I guess if that happens to me, I will need to get insoles opposite to the ones I use now, i.e., with a compensation for the new knee leg being longer. I am wondering what my living situation will be post-op. I live alone and don't know how soon I will be able to care for myself.
Newbe here, I am glad you have read this far.

Richard
 
Hello! Richard, and welcome to the forum. We are so happy to have you here. The Library has just tons of info that will answer lots of your questions---even ones you don't know yet that you have.:th_heehee:

I suspect that after surgery your leg length discrepancy will probably be gone. Your surgeon will do everything possible to keep leg length the same for both.

If you plan ahead (and all thats in the Library), you should have no trouble taking care of yourself.

Let me suggest that you start a "New Thread" of your own and tell us a bit about yourself and your situation there. It is so much easier for you and other BoneSmarties to communicate when you have your own thread.
 
Hello all,
I visit the doctor on May 7, 2012 and have a tentative surgery date of May 17, 2012. Can I be a May Marvelette too? Sounds a bit femine, but that's OK. Anybody that can get through this surgery is not a sissy. I am looking forward to the surgery. One of my symptoms is one leg (with bad knee) is now about 5/8 shorter than the other. I talked to one person who said post-op her leg with the artificial knee ended up longer than the one without the operation. I guess if that happens to me, I will need to get insoles opposite to the ones I use now, i.e., with a compensation for the new knee leg being longer. I am wondering what my living situation will be post-op. I live alone and don't know how soon I will be able to care for myself.
Newbe here, I am glad you have read this far. Richard

Hey there Richard
Absolutely you can join the gang! You can be a Marvel! How about a Marvel super hero of your choice like Iron Man.
:thumb:

What’s really interesting here is that everyone is from around the world so slang terms and medical references may mean something in the US and totally different in the UK, Australia or India. We are quite the international community and I learn something new every day.


Also, we have people that are skiers to bikers to gardeners, that’s gardening being anything from pulling weeds to pulling out their backhoe. So again welcome!

My surgery is May 29th so I’ll be looking for your guidance through the process, any hints or words of wisdom you may have to impart before I go into surgery.

Do start your own thread, share a little about yourself, and folks will be along shortly to say hi.
 
I am new to the forum. My Bilateral TKR is scheduled for May 3. Keeping my nerves under control by looking forward to walking without pain.
 
Welcome to the forum, Koose. :biggrin: You will find a wealth of information in our "Library". Please click that icon and read, read, read. Also we are available to answer questions,:what: give support and encouragement,:friends: and have a laugh or two :hysterical: along your journey to a pain free life.

Please start a "New Thread" of your own and tell us something about yourself. We like to get to know our fellow forum members. This gives you a place to post your questions and concerns and gives us a place to answer and communicate with you.

I also recommend the book "Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation" by Brugioni and Falkel. It tells you all you ever wanted to know and answers questions you would never know you needed to ask.:th_heehee: Because the more you know and understand about TKR, the easier the whole process will be for you.

I had both knees done 2 day apart :hate-shocked:--not quite bilateral--but I am having a bilateral recovery. It's one of the best things I've ever done. There have been ups and downs---but now 6 monts post-op I am a very, very happy camper.:yahoo:

Please keep us posted. We care.
 
Thank you Bottomshollow, Bless you! I will look up the library. I have never been on a forum like this. How wonderful to communicate with people that have "been there":)
 
I am new to the forum. My Bilateral TKR is scheduled for May 3. Keeping my nerves under control by looking forward to walking without pain.

Hi Koose,

Your surgery is the day before mine! I am having a revision on my right knee but I can tell you having your knees replaced will change your life! I love having the freedom to move and exercise again and I have lost 135 pounds since I had the left one replaced! The sky is the limit when you get through recovery!

Look around the site, create your own thread so we can get to know you better, and welcome to BoneSmart! We care about you!:friends:
 
RestAssured - Glad you could join us on the May surgery thread!
 
Hi Richard and Koose

Not long now Koose. My surgery has been brought forward to the 14th May thank goodness as had to come off of the tramadol painkillers as giving me stinking migraines. Relying on icing and elevating but can't wait as I'm totally fed up not being able to be too mobile

Good luck for Thursday. :thumb:
 
Hi Piglet
I was going to wish you well on your upcoming surgery but could not find your personal thread.

If you haven't started one yet on the pre-op, it's easy to do and more BoneSmarties will view it and offer their well wishes.

If you have, it would be great to update that thread with how you are doing as you get ready for your surgery :thumb:!

And I do wish you well on your upcoming surgery!
 
Hello May Marvelettes and Iron Man!! :th_heehee:

I don't know about the rest of you -but I was having trouble keeping track of who has surgery on what day - so I made a list! Thought I'd share it with you!

5/3 - Koose
5/4 - RestAssured aka: Sonja
5/8 - Proskier
5/14 - Kfriedm aka: Kathy
5/14 - limpy7
5/15 - Jmark87
5/17 - Richard1957 aka: Richard
5/21 - Piglet
5/29 - 1Elisea
5/31 - HollyM aka: Holly
**Baseplayer said she was probably going to be sometime at the end of May

Well, there you have it!!!:friends: Let's stick together!! Onward!!
 
Hi Piglet
I was going to wish you well on your upcoming surgery but could not find your personal thread.

If you haven't started one yet on the pre-op, it's easy to do and more BoneSmarties will view it and offer their well wishes.

If you have, it would be great to update that thread with how you are doing as you get ready for your surgery :thumb:!

And I do wish you well on your upcoming surgery!

Hi Elisea. Thanks. I'm new to this thing as most of us seem to be. I will have a go and see if I can get it working
Thanks again!!:what:
 
Hello May Marvelettes and Iron Man!! :th_heehee:

I don't know about the rest of you -but I was having trouble keeping track of who has surgery on what day - so I made a list! Thought I'd share it with you!

5/3 - Koose
5/4 - RestAssured aka: Sonja
5/8 - Proskier
5/14 - Kfriedm aka: Kathy
5/14 - limpy7
5/15 - Jmark87
5/17 - Richard1957 aka: Richard
5/21 - Piglet
5/29 - 1Elisea
5/31 - HollyM aka: Holly
**Baseplayer said she was probably going to be sometime at the end of May

Well, there you have it!!!:friends: Let's stick together!! Onward!!

Hi Holly yes I was struggling too. Typical but my surgery date got brought forward today to the 14th. Makes a change from being delayed!!:yes 4:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom