TKR Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two

I rarely left my chair when I had visitors. Once I was settled in, I wasn't getting up! I even worked out a signal with my visiting nurses, they honked when they pulled in the driveway and I opened the garage door with my remote I kept beside me.
 
Glad you are doing well Martha....I'm also a side sleeper and laying on my back all the time was a killer for me, I'm 3 weeks post op, so I finally started to sleep on my side with a pillow between my legs. :)
 
Good Morning. I hope everyone had a good night and got some much needed sleep. Even though I followed what has become my normal routine of waking up around 3:00 a.m. and staying awake for a while, I think I got close to 7 hours sleep last night! It was in my recliner or course, but I am thinking I might give my bed a try tonight. I called my OS office yesterday for a hydrocodone refill and they refilled it and told me that would be the last refill. After this they want me to step down to tramadol. That is exactly what I wanted to do and was going to ask them about it, but I didn't have to. Also, at PT yesterday, I got to 97 flexion! That is more bend than I had before surgery already! That was with a little help, but not painful. I can get it past 90 on my own. I am not sure what my extension is, but it is almost flat. It is better than before surgery, too. I am still icing and elevating around the clock and doing a little walking and a few simple bending and stretching exercises throughout the day. I also do a simple chore here and there, but not much, maybe straighten a little, or throw a load in the washer or dryer. I am making progress, slowly, but surely. Some days are better than others, but I am moving forward, and I am happy with that.
 
What a wonderful report! You are progressing at your own pace and really taking good care of yourself. Sleep is the most wonderful healing necessity in this recovery. I really hope it continues for you.
 
Yes! Wonderful report, Martha. Made me smile -- you are very inspiring in your words and positive attitude-- thank you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Great report! It can't hurt to try your bed, if it doesn't work, head out to the recliner.
 
Good to hear, Martha! Isn't it great to feel that new knee, flexing and bending away somewhere under there?
 
I'm really happy that you are doing so well. Hope you can get comfy in bed :sleeep:
Tabby xxx
 
I had a bit of a tough weekend, but I made it through and (still in the recliner) slept 6 hours straight last night! Hopefully that will help me to feel better today. On Friday evening I had another episode of my quad muscle making a popping sound followed by horrible pain when I had raised my leg up to position my pillows underneath. It hurt so badly! This is the second time this has happened. It also happened about a week ago. Afterwards my quad is much more sore and tender as well as the knee itself. It pops so loud you can actually hear it, and hurts so badly that it brought me to tears. Has anyone else had this happen? I have pretty much just rested, iced, and elevated all weekend. I did walk a little around the house and do a few stretches and bends here and there, but not much. Night before last I only slept a couple hours and the exhaustion has been overwhelming. Yesterday I felt both emotionally and physically wiped out! I am hoping today will be better. I will be 4 weeks tomorrow, and I feel like I should be doing more, walking farther. I so wanted to go to church yesterday, but I just didn't feel up to it. I know it will get better, and I am just going through a rough patch right now, but it feels good just to "talk" about it with you all, because I know you understand. It will be good to get out of the house to go to PT today after being stuck in the house for three days. I look forward to going to PT. My therapist is very gentle and my knee usually feels better afterward than it does when I get there. I have rambled and grumbled enough now, lol so I am going to shut up and get on with the day. I hope all of you have a good, pain free day.
 
I'm sorry you had a rough weekend. I'm glad you wrote about it -- we DO get it. I don't think the non-kneesies can ever understand.

I remember hitting a low on the emotional roller coaster at week 4. I went so far as to make a psych doc appointment (ended up cancelling cause week 5 was so much better). Please try not to judge or push yourself-- you are doing amazingly well and seem exactly on target to me. Our job is letting our bodies have the time and freedom to heal -- everything else is gravy.

I don't know about the popping sound and resulting pain. I'm sure someone will, though. I know you'll ask PT about it. Enjoy your venture outside. You're right -- getting out is therapy in itself.

Prayers for


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I'm sorry you had a bad weekend.
On Friday evening I had another episode of my quad muscle making a popping sound followed by horrible pain when I had raised my leg up to position my pillows underneath.
It sounds as if you could have torn a few muscle fibres. Instead of trying to raise your leg to adjust the pillows, perhaps it would be better to put your leg down on the bed, adjust the pillows, and then put your leg back up again. That way, you won't be trying to hold your leg up in the air.
Better yet, use some big safety pins to pin the pillows together the way you want them, like this:

You did the right thing in resting, icing and elevating.

I will be 4 weeks tomorrow, and I feel like I should be doing more, walking farther. I so wanted to go to church yesterday, but I just didn't feel up to it.
You're right in the middle of what we call the angry tissue stage. You feel as if you should be doing more, but your knee says "Oh no, not yet!" It can be frustrating, but try to be patient with your knee. In a few more weeks you will be able to do these things. This article talks about it:
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)

I remember that @sistersinhim wanted to go to church quite early in her recovery. We advised her to wait a while, and she did. Getting to and from church and sitting through a service puts quite a strain on a new knee.
 
I think this surgery recovery is so different than any other I've experienced, that around 4 wks I also was felt like I wanted to do things yet wasn't up to it. Anything I did do was a push, and I turned down many request to go for a ride, or to a store and just wait in the vehicle. Antsy, yet lack the energy to do much. Yet being cooped up and still recovering and more ahead it seems over whelming. Hang in there it does it get better. It's all just such a slow process.
 
@sheliac You are so right. It is a roller coaster ride for sure, and you really can't understand until you have been there. Thank you for reminding me of some things I needed to hear. My PT didn't know what the popping was all about, but she had me take it easier and not do anything that would strain my quad further.

@Celle Thank you for your words of wisdom. I did get some big safty pins to pin my pillows together. Thank you for the article, also. I have read it before, but I did go back and read it again.

@zzevi you summed up exactly how I feel. I appreciate your understanding and encouragement so much. I do try to stay optimistic and remember that things will be so much better once I am recovered, but I guess we all have our off days. I think doing whatever I did to my quad when it was just getting better from the first time kind of threw me off kilter. The hard knot of swelling just above my knee has gone down now, and it is getting better. My range of motion is still good for where I am, too. So I do have a lot to be thankful for. Tomorrow is a new day, and it will bring me one day closer to a complete recovery, and getting my other knee done.

To everyone else who has come by to offer words of encouragement, thank you. I hope I can pay it forward and help to encourage all of you and others along the way.
 
You already pay it forward. Your posts have meant so much to me on this journey. When I first joined I did a search and read all your posts because you sounded so grounded. You still do.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
Shelia, Thank you so much. Your posts have meant a lot to me, too. You seem to have a knack for saying just the right thing at the right time!
 
Today has been a pretty good day. My quad muscle is getting better. PT went well today. My therapist measured my bend at 103 with me sitting on the table and bending it back as far as I could comfortably. She didn't measure my extension, but said it was straight when I am standing. There was a man having PT today who was also about a month out and my OS also did his surgery, as well as his other knee a year ago. He was doing really well. That gave me that much more confidence in my surgeon. I have rested all afternoon. I even took a nice nap. I am going to try to go to Church tonight. I am a little nervous about it, but I want to try.
 
When I went back to church I was ok as long as I propped my leg up on another seat. It wasn't elevated, just up, otherwise my knee would swell and become very sore.
 
Great report, Martha! I know what you mean about good reports on your OS. I choose my OS in a somewhat random manner, and was so happy when I ran into the sister of a friend, who told me that he has a great reputation at his hospital. It's so reassuring! A friend had been castigating me for not taking more care in selecting the surgeon, so that really set my mind at ease. Sounds like it did the same thing for you. We got lucky!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom