Guest viewing is limited

TKR Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two

So glad your surgery went well! I'll be following you in less than a week.
 
Thinking of you this evening Martha and hoping your pain meds are addressing any discomfort you might be feeling. While in the hospital I made sure I requested my next scheduled dose 15 mins early- so they would hopefully arrive on time. And I requested them whether I felt I needed them or not. It's crucial you keep them in your system on schedule for the coming weeks. If the pain has a chance to over-run your meds it's no fun trying to play catch. You've been through major surgery hon and those pain meds and ice will help you so much. We're all out here cheering you on~!! I'm praying for and thinking positive thoughts of you as your body has now begun it's journey to recover itself!

You're going to LOVE your new knee once it's recovered!

[Bonesmart.org] Martha's Journey One Day At A Time, Phase Two
 
Good Morning. I am sorry I haven't posted since my surgery. I have been putting everything I've got into just getting from one day to the next. I will just give you all the highlights, if they can be called that, lol. Today is my 9th post op day. The surgery did go very well and I feel I am progressing well, but it has been a bumpy ride thus far. My care in the hospital was great. I couldn't have asked for better, but they had a terrible time getting my pain in control. I ended up staying in the hospital 4 days and transitioning to a rehab facility. That was something I did not want to do, and never really considered I would need to do, but I knew I was not ready to go home. I was pretty depressed the first few days. I didn't want to be here, and I was still in quite a lot of pain. I go to PT and OT both once a day and spend the rest of the day icing and elevating, walking a little, and being grateful the pain is so much better. I have a polar ice machine here which runs 24/7 and they are great about keeping it filled with ice. I wish I had one for home, but gel packs will do. I have a nice big private room with two big bay windows and a great view of the city. My therapist yesterday told me I am walking very well and that my gait is good. I know I am making progress day by day. The only issue I have had besides the pain is some bleeding from the very bottom of the incision, which looks really good and is otherwise healing nicely. My bruising is minimal, mostly just on the knee itself. My rom a couple days ago was 61, not sure about the extension. There has been no pressure there. Just that it is a good starting point and it will take time.
 
Martha, the same thing happened to me. I was expecting to go into rehab, but luckily it was just down the hall from my hospital room. I too was depressed about being there, but had great care, they kept my pain under control and my family wasn't worried about me. Are you sure they won't let you take the polar cube home? Mine was part of my insurance and went home with me. When do you come home?
 
Hi Martha!
Glad that your surgery went well and that you are on the road to healing. I was a bit worried when you weren't posting after surgery so it's great to see you back on the forum. I had my surgery Tuesday and will be going home today after lunch. Here's hoping your day is pain free!
Ruth
 
Martha, a few weeks before my surgery, I had my preop appointment. My surgeon told me then that insurance just two months before, had started to cover ice machines. So I left that appointment with my ice machine tucked under my arm. I brought it with me to the hospital, and then brought it home with me after. I just got the statement, and insurance paid all but about $80 of the $400 bill. Ask your OS office, if you are interested in having one at home.
 
Sending good thoughts and prayers. I hope you can take the ice machine home. I bought one from Amazon and is worth the money. My PT had one to rent -- you might want to ask about that?




Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I managed with the frozen gel packs, which worked very well. I had about 6 of them, so I could keep up a constant supply of frozen packs. One gel pack behind my knee and one above it worked very well.
As long as you have a cloth between your skin and the pack, you can ice all the time you aren't up and about.
 
@Ronsgirl

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery. I love my Polar Cube too. If you can't take it with you, it is definitely worth purchasing. I have certainly bonded with mine! I hope you are able to come home as soon as possible because that will mean your pain is under control!

Jen
 
It's always hard when our expectations don't meet with reality. This is a slow recovery that teaches us patience but now you're in recovery! Rest, ice, elevate, take your meds, and let everyone take care of you.
:flwrysmile:
 
Good morning ladies. I seem to be falling into a pattern. I sleep in the bed until around 3:30 or 4:00, get up go to the bathroom take a pain pill and move to the recliner, fiddle around on the computer till my pain pills kick in then doze in the chair. I seem to doze off and on throughout the day as well.

I am pretty much resigned to being here now and know it is for the best. I should be going home on Thursday evening or Friday morning after my post op ortho visit. I made it up and down a long flight of stairs yesterday, and the bleeding from my incision, which has been a concern, is getting less every day.

My insurance doesn't pay for the ice machine, but I think the gel packs I have will do ok. If not I will look into renting or purchasing one.

I am getting drowsy so I think I will kick back and rest for a while and try to write more later. I hope you all have a very good day!
 
Sending healing thoughts your way.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@Ronsgirl

Keep your head up! This too shall pass.

My ice machine was less than $200 from a medical supply store.

Thinking of you...

Jen
 
My knee was always so hot that the gel packs didn't seem to last long. The ice machine was heavenly, but I was luck enough to borrow it. Whatever you choose to use, tho, will be fine. Hope you get to go home soon.
 
Thinking of you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
I have been doing some reading and catching up on everyone. I am doing really pretty good I think. I can raise my leg now without any assistance, so I am happy about that. Tomorrow I go to my post op ortho appointment and will get the staples out, and Friday I am going home!! Finally! I am definitely happy about that. Although I know the rehab I got here was exactly what I needed and has helped me a lot, I am so ready to be home.
 
Weird how those leg lifts work. My leg was dead to the world for over a week, and I used a leg lifter for anything requiring me to lift it. Then suddenly one day I realized I was moving it around on the bed, tried lifting it in the air, and it worked! It was the most sudden of the various recoveries, for me anyway.
 
Back
Top Bottom