TKR Marie’s TKR Journey

That explains why I have trouble sleeping without any blanket, and only with a sheet in the summer. I really like it cool enough to snuggle down under a quilt with a decent amount of weight to it.
 
@Jockette i purchased from LifetimeSensory.com They’re costly on all sites but this place was started by a mom who, I think, has an autistic child. I liked what the website says. I saw they have ready to ship blankets (you can special order blankets) and discounted ones. I messaged the company on FB and the customer service rep was SO helpful. Turns out they were having a 50% off on the discontinued ones. I didn’t know about that discount til we talked on FB. There is an ad that pops up on FB for Weighting Comforts....they have a cool max one that would work for summer. If this type of a blanket works, I may get one for summer.
 
Wow, who knew!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Marie’s TKR Journey


I have no idea what my bend is here but this is the farthest I’ve gotten my leg to bend. I wasn’t intentionally bending it; prior to this I had been sitting while showering. I looked down and realized I had subconsciously bent it back. Had my husband take a picture when I got out.
 
That’s a nice bend!
 
I would guess between 95 and 110, maybe 115?
 
Six weeks today. Feels like forever but I think that’s because I had my LTHR 8 weeks before. I’ve had a couple bad sleeping nights over the last week but it’s gotten better. Last night I got almost ten hours but that was a combo of joining the ODIC and a muscle relaxer. We went to the last fair of the year. It’s a small fair, I took my walking poles, sat a lot and had fried dough!

My piriformis was horrible most of last week. That’s one reason I took the muscle relaxer. At least it worked and I got a ton of sleep. I have my first appointment with the rheumatologist this week. I think I posted about that but if not: when my hip was done, my surgeon said my Vit D was very low and I’ve been on 10,000 iu of D since. When he did my knee, he found very soft bones. I needed to see someone so chose a rheumatologist that is in the same clinic as my ortho.
I also have my six week post op with the PA this week. Lots of stuff on my list to talk to her about. If the sleeping isn’t better this week, will make an appointment with my regular doctor next week.

Weighted blanket: tried it but can’t use it yet. It’s like it put so much pressure on my hip and knee while sleeping (side sleeper here). I will try again when I don’t feel so “tender”
 
Hi all!
It’s been awhile! Even though I’m almost eleven months post op for my RTKR, I had my year post op yesterday (I combined my one year THR post op & one year TKR). Everything with my knee is very good! I’m not sure what my bend is, I was never worried about the numbers but guessing 130 or so; I’ve been flat since my second week, I think. Most days, I forget I had a TKR. Cold and rain will make it achy but it’s not pain. I feel crunching sometimes when I go up & downstairs which surgeon says is normal.
I did not go back to the job I had before surgery and am the kitchen manager of a very small (116 kids) school. The only knee related problem I have at work is putting away my order. I hadn’t been to the school before I got hired and didn’t know that the freezer is on the bottom....need to rotate everything. I cannot kneel nor can I squat.....am I the only one u able to squat?

Also discussed at my post op was my other knee. A little background: I dislocated that knee, badly, the first time, when I was 14. I’ve dislocated numerous times over the years. I’ve babied that knee for over 40 years. I always thought that would be the only joint needing replacement. This knee is not as bad as the other knee. I don’t have much for daily pain, mostly doing stairs but it’s not a stable knee. I told my surgeon that there are things I’ve never been able to do: easy hiking, anything not level, nothing slippery. My granddaughter was disappointed that I can’t do “fun” things this year.

My surgeon said while it’s not as bad as my other one (my two surgeons referred to that knee as horrible amd terrible) it is still bad enough to be replaced. Now I have to decide when. I told one friend about this and she couldn’t believe I’d even think of TKR if I wasn’t in horrible pain.
 
I think instability is a big factor when deciding about tkr. You don't want to be falling down or fearing falling all the time. It sounds like it's not an urgent situation but something for you to be thinking about.
 
Hi Kneeper! Thanks! It seems so many people wait until they’re in really bad pain. My first surgeon told me not to wait too long. I appreciate the response!
 
I can't be sure but I get the feeling the worse the knee is the more difficult the recovery.
 
Everyone told me not to have a bilateral because then I wouldn't have a "good leg" to stand on. I was like you, neither knee was all that great to begin with. Two hips and two knees, you're gonna be the biontic woman! Regarding squatting....I can squat if I don't have to go all the way down...I can get my thighs parallel to the floor, maybe a little more. It's not comfortable, and I can't do it without hanging onto something/one. I've been doing a lot of gardening/landscaping and find I do best with a funny looking crouch position. LOL
 
I can't be sure but I get the feeling the worse the knee is the more difficult the recovery.
I sure hope so.....while my left knee has been my bad knee my entire life, the other knee was really bad even though it was just a few years. I had an easy recovery.
 
Everyone told me not to have a bilateral because then I wouldn't have a "good leg" to stand on. I was like you, neither knee was all that great to begin with. Two hips and two knees, you're gonna be the biontic woman! Regarding squatting....I can squat if I don't have to go all the way down...I can get my thighs parallel to the floor, maybe a little more. It's not comfortable, and I can't do it without hanging onto something/one. I've been doing a lot of gardening/landscaping and find I do best with a funny looking crouch position. LOL

I tried squatting last night....can’t do it. Maybe never will!
 
I hear you @sistersinhim ,on bending over. My job requires me to deal with the freezer and I can only bend over. I end up having a very sore back but nothing else I can do. I tried sitting on a milk crate but can’t get close enough.
 
Squatting hasn’t worked for me either. I bend from the waist but now that both knees are done I have to teach myself to also bend my knees a little while I bend from the waist. That way you save the back. Marie if you go ahead with the 2nd knee just remember each knee is different. I am 14 weeks post 2nd knee and can do many things earlier than the first one but my walking endurance is slower with this knee. I can however bicycle all over town, sit for 10 hour car rides, sleep comfortably and where heels ;) lol.
I am glad my hip and both knees are replaced but it is hard and somehow even with the second knee the weeks dragged and I was impatient many times... but I think it is still worth it!
 
Back
Top Bottom