Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marie’s LTKR thread!

Thanks for asking, @kiwicurls ! I’m six weeks & a couple of days. This week hasn’t been a good one. Last weekend, we were at our camper and I felt pretty darn good. Thought I turned a corner. Monday came & I apparently turned right back around!

The knee is just tight and achy. I went to PT Tuesday & Thursday but have not doing anything except living my life the other days. We’ve also had two or three days this week where we had rain and cooler weather; I’m sure that isn‘t helping. Sleep for me just sucks. I get into bed and can’t get comfortable. I know it won’t last forever and I can’t wait til it leaves!

I‘m not complaining too much. I have it so much easier than others.

@Jockette can you please check something for me? I attempted to click my LTKR thread via the link in my signature but it took me to my other knees thread! Both links are for the same thread. Maybe it’s just me, as the author but if someone else clicks it, I’d hate to have them get to the 2018 one!

Marie
 
@InkedMarie
Your first link is for your Left THR - July 2, 2018
Your second link is for your Right TKR - August 27, 2018
 
@InkedMarie , sorry to hear you’re having sleeping problems. It really does help to read that nearly everyone else has problems too. As everyone says, it’s one step forward, one step back!
 
Forgot to say, I know what you mean about cooler, rainy weather. It’s freezing here and my unoperated knee is letting me know it!
 
my first week, I think it was, I had one night where I slept for seven hours. One night. It takes me a couple hours to fall asleep then I get 5-6hrs but not good sleep. It’s irritating and has to improve by the end of August when I go back to work.

Marie
 
Last night, I went to bed around 10....I don’t think it took me but five minutes to be asleep! I was then woken up at midnight by the most awful knee pain, inside of my knee! No idea what that was about. I got up, went to the bathroom since I was awake, took me a few minutes to fall back asleep but I did til 6am. I’m in our camper with the fireplace on as it was cold in here, elevating my knee & lotsa zingers happening.

One thing I noticed yesterday. I’ll start with saying I used a Palmer vit E product on my scar Friday night. So yesterday, I noticed my scar is a bit more red & I have a teeny scab at the lowest end of my incision. I’m gathering I must be having some reaction to the lotion so no more using that and nothing else til that little area is healed again.
 
@InkedMarie don't use anything on that scar. It will soon fade to a very thin line. You may have angered soft tissues around the area that are still in healing mode.
 
@InkedMarie don't use anything on that scar. It will soon fade to a very thin line. You may have angered soft tissues around the area that are still in healing mode.
I used a similar Palmer product with knee #1 but this one is obviously irritating it. Thanks @Jaycey. Nothing else!

Marie
 
For most of us, it takes quite a while for the knee to get past the “drama Queen” stage, although mine, 5 years later, is still in it!

At least you did get some sleep! :sleeep:
 
A good thing: my sleep has been better since Saturday night. Some sleeping on my side, some on my back but better sleep. I’ll take it!

A so-so: I posted the other day about my incision being red. Me being me, a worry wort, I sent my surgeon two pics. One from May 29 & the other from yesterday. He called me back, says he thinks it will be okay but to put nothing on it, watch for anything oozing and call if that happens or if it doesn’t improve. The pics:
34FDEFF4-B017-4422-B0C1-30AA2B8DB565.jpeg
99EC1F83-CB86-430C-BB0B-98F4114241CB.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It looks a little irritated, but your swelling is way down in just two weeks! Have you had anything rubbing against it?
 
Hi @sistersinhim ! I’m icing a couple times a day, at least so I’m sure that’s helping with the swelling. Nothing new rubbing against it. The irritation started after using the lotion.

Marie
 
The irritation started after using the lotion.
Oh, at least you know the cause. I think you'll be fine.

We normally suggest that nothing be used on the scar until months after the incision has healed. That skin is very tender there.
 
When I was about one year post op I decided to try kinesiology tape on my knee, which my chiropractor had used in the past, on my back. Never had a problem with it before, but this time, around my knee, I had quite a reaction to it! Major red and itchy where the tape was. :shrug: That was the end of that!
 
Hi @InkedMarie
My scar looks exactly like yours does. I am 8 weeks now. The Bio Oil is irritating the scar and so is vitamin E cream, both of which I used very successfully on my foot surgeries. I am going to leave it alone and see if it improves. Strange how it was fine on feet but no good on knee!
Have a good day!
 
Wow, Marie, the swelling really went down in the time between the two photos. That’s great! Your skin does look irritated. Hopefully it doesn’t hurt and the redness dissipates soon.
@InkedMarie
 
I find it hard to believe I’m a little over seven weeks. I feel like I’m moving slow with recovery and that’s okay. I still have that little scab at the bottom of the incision; hoping it falls off soon. The incision isn’t as red as it was so that’s a positive.

I have an area on the inside of my leg, outside the knee that had a pretty good bruise. The area is discolored & It’s an area that hurts at times. I had been doing pretty good with being able to sit for longer periods with my leg down but the past five days or so....not so much.

Sleep. I’d love some! In the past four nights, I’ve had about 18-20 hours total. I did buy some Magnesium, took it last night but it didn’t help. I assume I’ll need to keep taking it see if it will help.

We have a camper at a seasonal spot and we’re there Friday & Saturday night. Last night was especially bad. I almost went home at 2am but was so tired, I was afraid I’d get in an accident. At home, if I can’t sleep, I go to the recliner. While I have a recliner at camp, you cant sleep in it. If you can get it back (I can’t due to my knee), if you move AT ALL, boom, you’re back to sitting. When Steve got up, I told him I had to either not go to camp until being able to sleep happens more than it doesn’t or we had to buy an RV power recliner that would stay reclined.

We now have a power recliner so I can continue to enjoy camp :)

Marie
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom