Guest viewing is limited

TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

Thank God you got those cells removed. You've been healed before you know it!
 
can't go swimming so tried to increase my walk. Took half an hour to do .39 miles/.62 km and 966 step. Now sitting with a tall glass of water and elevated knee and ice. More important... NO Pain. Yeah!
 
So I'm wondering if I should be doing something to my scar tissue to break it down or soften it. My OS didn't say anything about it, nor did anyone else for that matter, but I was just reading that scar tissue can interfere with ROM. Any suggestions?
 
So I'm wondering if I should be doing something to my scar tissue to break it down or soften it. My OS didn't say anything about it, nor did anyone else for that matter, but I was just reading that scar tissue can interfere with ROM. Any suggestions?

I was told by my PT that gentle massage of a healed incision can be helpful to increase movement. I looked up a couple videos of YouTube to see different methods to use and started on it - when I do “pop” am adhesion, I can feel it, but it’s more uncomfortable rather than painful. (I’m about 7 weeks out, ROM 123°/-1°) I think it did help me break the 110° barrier. Hope this helps.
 
I did scar massage starting at 5 week using used a cheap vitamin E oil. I really don’t know if it was really a factor, or not. I treated my knee as a baby, lotioning and oiling!
 
So I'm wondering if I should be doing something to my scar tissue to break it down or soften it. My OS didn't say anything about it, nor did anyone else for that matter, but I was just reading that scar tissue can interfere with ROM. Any suggestions?

Ah, the dreaded scar tissue that interferes with ROM. We hear about this one a lot. It's important to distinguish between normal scar tissue -- the necessary stuff that knits together cuts and wounds so we heal (otherwise our gaping wounds would.. remain gaping) -- and abnormal scar tissue like adhesions and arthrofibrosis, which most people DO NOT GET after TKR.

If you have 95 flexion, you almost certainly do not have adhesions or abnormal scar tissue inside the knee. You don't need to do anything about it. Massage can feel good, though, so massage if you want to. :)

If you're talking about the scar of your incision, that's normal scar tissue. You can massage the scar if you want to. It's not necessary to do so, but lots of people find it helpful to massage the scar. I used Palmer's Cocoa Butter with vitamin E. Other people use oils or creams. What I liked about massaging my scar was that it loosened it up a bit and made bending more pleasant. I have hypertrophic (thicker than usual) scars and the massage helped. It didn't really improve my bend, just made the skin over my knees feel less tight when I did bend.
 
Go figure... went for a walk and had to stop at approximately half a km., not because of my surgery knee but because of my "good" knee and ankle. So here I am, icing both knees at the same time. Can't wait to get back in the pool.
 
My good knee also gave me a fit after my surgery. The better my tkr knee got, it was able to take on more of the work. The helped my good knee to get better, too! I bet yours will, also.
 
My ankle started acting up. I had a really bed sprain back in 1974 and every once in a while it gets angry. Seems to be better this morning but my KR is not too happy. It will be a slow day particularly because I had little sleep and still recovering from the biopsy on my nose. I sound and feel like I'm falling apart. LOL
 
Boy, do I know what you are talking about. It seems all at once all these new things are popping up! Your knee is still really young and will continue to improve. You can look forward to that!
 
Went to have lunch today and realized I was running out of food. As much as I didn't feel up to It, a trip to the grocery store was needed. Bent my knee the wrong way while getting into the car and pulled on my scar tissue. OUCH! Needless to say, that did me in. Now sitting with my knee up and an ice pack. Time for a nap. Trying not to be frustrated.
 
You are doing the right thing! You'll probably have to continue with the icing and elevating for a few days. These new knees can really be cranky!
 
On the edge of tears for no apparent reason. Frustrated that I can't go to the pool... I really want to. Too hot an sore to go for a walk. Overtired and can't sleep. Arghhh!
 
Marguerite,
I am sure many of us on this board can sympathize with your post this evening. I am counting down the days to the day my surgeon said I could have pool time. I have 6 days left. Sleep? That comes and goes, and I lay down whenever I can and ice. The knee is doing great. The rest of me comes and goes, like nausea, sleeplessness, and not able to sit and read for a long time. Just sitting and resting my leg up is my job most days. I do like seeing my trainer PT. When I see him we laugh and my nausea seems to flee. Laughing can work wonders when in TKR recovery.:loll:
 
I’m on Zofran and it has not been much help. I've had one Tramadol in 3 weeks, and know I am fortunate. Four years ago and the other leg I needed pain meds for a long time. My only problem has been nausea. No rhyme or reason-just comes and may be an hour or a long stretch in the day or night. I’ve upped protein and will try saltines and motion sickness meds. I encourage myself by noting my knee has no pain and to be thankful for that.
 
On the edge of tears for no apparent reason. Frustrated that I can't go to the pool... I really want to. Too hot an sore to go for a walk. Overtired and can't sleep. Arghhh!
Oh, yes. I remember having attacks of tears of frustration and crankyness. Can you at least lie down for a while with some ice and rest for a bit?
 
So tired, I lie down, hoping to rest or for a nap. As soon as my head it's the pillow, I get the jitters... feeling there is a surge of energy going through my body... a sure sign that I need more physical activity (or a stiff drink, lol).
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Members online

Back
Top Bottom