TKR Marguette’s Full Recovery

My hip cracks on every step I take. Not painful but a shock to the core and through the leg. Has anyone else ever experienced this after a TKR? Like cracking your hip knuckle with every step. Very disconcerting.
 
Not much sleep last night so today was a day if rest. Seems I couldn't stay awake most of the day and still feel drained. Walking is not painful but this snapping sensation in my hip down to my knee is getting worse and making walking really uncomfortable. Appointment with GP tomorrow. Maybe she can shed some light on the situation.
 
Good visit with GP last week. A few difficult days but seem to be getting a little better. But best of all, the urge was greater than the fear of not being able to get out. I unlocked the front door; put the cell phone in reach along with a large bath towel and.... slipped into a luxurious hot bubble bath. Determined not to let the concern of getting out rob me of the moment, I lay in the silky warm bubbles, taking in the scent of Apple blossoms, for over half an hour. Absolute bliss!
Getting out was a bit of a challenge but ...I DID IT! YEAH! ...and I didn't have to call the fire department to rescue me. LOL
 
A bubble bath sounds like heaven, good for you! I’m too chicken to try & get in the tub. I’d love to be able to get in a pool & try some exercises, but I can’t imagine how I’d get in or out. I’d try at my mother-in-laws house, but I don’t want to subject the kids & grandkids to that scene :heehee:
 
What a difference a week makes, like someone flipped a switch. ...able to take a bath, walking more often, hip cracking has mostly stopped, knee cap pain significantly reduced, depression is lifting. It's like the four month anniversary was the turning point. Starting to feel hopeful for a good recovery.
 
A very encouraging update not only regarding the knee but the depression.:) :-) (:hooefully this is a sign for a good recovery :fingersx:
 
Crossing my fingers your hopeful improvements continue without setbacks. Setbacks will happen, probably, as you keep getting better, and feeling better. You'll stretch your wings, so to speak. Just remember if the knee acts up a little after new activity to ice and elevate. That kind of setback is normal and temporary.
 
A full week of feeling better. Walked a little more than usual today and I'm noticing it tonight. Swelling is up and a bit of pain but not too bad. Still much better than it was even two weeks ago. The inside of my knee still looks huge and makes my leg look deformed. I'm coming to the conclusion that the cracking in my hip has to do with tendons and maybe alignment. Two months to folliw-up with OS. That will give a little more healing time and maybe enough change. 4:15 a.m. ...time for sleep. Good night!
 
Lots of things sort themselves out over time. :console2:
 
An interesting experience ~ After a long day at work on a rainy day, I opted for a soak in the tub. When it came time to get out, I used my usual maneuver... left leg over right, turn and land on left knee, being careful not to put my weight on the right knee. It's quite a contortion but it usually works. Only this time, before I could push myself up, I got a major cramp in the back of my thigh. PAIN!!! I had to push through... it wasn't pretty and it reminded me of how vulnerable one can be when living alone. Which leads me to wonder... how long on average before I can kneel on this thing? Can I ignore the pain and put my weight on it if I have too? What has been your experience?Thanks in advance for your feedback.
 
I'm glad you made it out okay! I will be at 12 weeks this Friday, and still am way too afraid to try the tub lol I'd love to try my sister's hot tub, but I'm not even sure about getting in and out of that. I don't know about kneeling either - honestly, I haven't kneeled on my left knee in years, not sure when I'd be willing to try it.
 
Hi Pacosmom
I didn't get in the tub until 16 weeks and I was quite nervous about it. Was all set to call the fire department for rescue if needed. Lol Getting in was relatively easy. It's getting out that's a challenge. Hot tubs are wonderful. I went in at the local pool at about 10 weeks but only stayed in for 5 minutes at first. It has steps going in so that worked out really well. Hope you can get in soon. It is soooooo soothing but make sure there is someone to help if you are not sure. Good luck
 
@Marguette - I'm so glad you didn't have to call the fire department! I feel like such a blob having done no real exercise for so long, I don't think I'd ask anyone for help to get out - I'd just sit there until I could do it myself :heehee: My sister's hot tub I think I could do. They have a little deck around it, so I could step down onto the seat and get out fairly easily that way too. I'd have to make sure my brother in law was there to help hold my arm or hand though. I'm having such issues with my quad and upper leg muscles that I'm thinking it would feel really, really good!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom