Bilateral TKR Marci's Progress - Operation 16/6/16

I wonder if you can all help me answer a question I have?

All is progressing well.... BUT when I straighten my left leg it grinds, from the knee cap down into the joint - it's VERY horrible, turning my stomach sometimes. It started when the swelling went down and I left it and hoped that the grinding would go away. It hasn't and it's been months now. Any thoughts on this would be great thanks in advanced guys xxx
 
A little more information would help, @MarciHeff.
1. Such as is there any pain associated with this?
(and don't forget that the term 'pain' can also include other forms of pain such as soreness, burning, stabbing, throbbing, aching, swelling and stiffness)​
2. What's your ROM like?
3. Are you fully and freely mobile now?
 
Thank you Celle and Josephine...
1. I have no pain when I stretch out my left leg.
2. My ROM is excellent on both legs... pretty much what yours looked like at 130 or so.
3. I have (pretty much) fully mobile, I can walk 6000 steps each day without swelling now. I do get a bruising on my leg knee top side knee cap sometimes. But there is no pain. Thank you Mx
 
I can walk 6000 steps each day
Ooh! I'm dead jealous! Best I've ever managed is 3,000 steps but I'm wiped out for hours afterwards.

As for your grinding, I'm not quite sure what it is but it doesn't appear to be a problem - more just a nuisance, yes?
 
Indeed .. the grinding is not a problem but it makes me feel sick when it happens, it's more than my old bones grinding.. but it's not threatening my life so maybe I will have to live with it. I'm still unable to go through the day without an afternoon nap - and if I don't nap I can't sleep at night - I'm a big baby!! xx Thanks for your comments J
 
@reffee54: I read this last week on a US Company.......
'Grinding sounds come from scar tissue that often forms after surgery. If the grinding is painful then let you should let us know.' but I trust the Bonesmart community so I thought I would ask.
 
Well, I disagree with the above.
Scar tissue forms after all surgeries. It 's a normal part of healing. without scar tissue, your wound would stay open. Abnormal scar tissue, by which they really mean adhesions, doesn't "often" form. It's actually quite rare after a TKR.

Could your knee grinding be this?
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
 
'Grinding sounds come from scar tissue that often forms after surgery
That's just what I came back to this thread to say! It's like the gristle you get on a roasting joint - it's tough and ungiving and can make ghastly noises/sensations. But it's not likely to be a serious problem apart from the nuiscance point of view. As time goes by - I'm talking maybe another year or so - it may well abate.
 
Abnormal scar tissue, by which they really mean adhesions, doesn't "often" form.
I was one of the few that did have adhesions, and I can tell that they in no way felt like grinding. My OS said I was one of the few unlucky ones, so i do not think that you have to worry about that.
 
@Celle - thank you for the article, though no my left knee isn't clunking or clicking ( I know as my right leg clicked during the early stage ). @Josephine - thank you for the reassurance, I do trust this site and will go into - watchful waiting to see if it changes at all. If it becomes painful I'll get it checked out again. Cheers everyone - xxxx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom