Bilateral TKR Marci's Progress - Operation 16/6/16

I know you feel SO much better now-!! Doesn't it feel great to do the research, make decisions and take your recovery in your own hands!

[Bonesmart.org] Marci's Progress - Operation 16/6/16
 
Hi Marci. It looks like your surgery was 5 days before mine. My OS said latest research shows TED stockings don't make a difference, so I didn't have to wear them. I was very relieved as I've had to wear them with other surgeries in the past and I agree with everyone else about how awful they are. Hang in there!
 
As I come towards 100 days after my Bilateral Knee replacement.... I wanted to capture the immense journey I have been on.

At 100 days ago I had an operation to replace both knees with two new ones. The surgeon asked me to have two at the same time and warned me it takes a lot out of the patient.
They've rarely been painful but they've often been sore, stiff, tight, pulling, swollen, weak, uncertain and unreliable.

Since the operation Ive had to learn how to:

- Stand with a frame, crutches, a single crutch, a stick without anything, on the left and on the right leg.
- Walk forward, backwards, left, right, in the dark (surpringly difficult) turn around left and right - With two limps then one and then none
- Step up then down, then down stairs and up - with crutches, with one crutch, without crutches, holding on and not holding on... still working on a smooth down
- Bend the left, the right, lunge and squat, sit and get up, stand on my toes, stand on only my left leg and my right leg. Bend 90 degress on each leg, 100 and 110 and 120 each leg.
- Extend each leg straight
- Lie in bed, get out of bed, sleep on my back. - try it its really hard.
- Strengthen each leg, right left front and back through routine and rigorous exercise
- Care for two big scars, with 29 staples each leg - and having them taken out with a staple remover, from sore and sensitive to calmer and still healing.
- Go through withdrawal from morphine, then later dihydrocodeine and then later codeine.
- Cope when my knees swell or when my left leg decides to collapse
- How to manage insomnia, constipation, sickness, lack of appetite,
- And how to manage complete exhaustion- from nowhere it would hit me like a punch, and how to respond to this when i wanted to do something else
- Develop even more patience - ( I thought I had a lot already )
- How to miss family get togethers and friend's party because i had to look after myself.

Now i have to learn how to:
Drive without my legs swelling
Reset my sleep back to sleeping through the night
Strengthen my left leg
Develop my stamina

Later i have to learn again how to
Walk in heels
Dance
Ride a horse
Cycle outside again

I have had a few times of feeling fed up or feeling stuck- over 100 days I have sometimes felt it's like a very long drawn out time.
But very importantly I was never frightened even in those nights alone without sleep, when I lay there wondering if I could do this I didnt have fear weighing on me.
In all my challenges I tried to remember that everyone ever diagnosed with cancer would change places with me in a heart beat. Having the operation was not something I chose but it was my journey and mine alone. Others supported me and that helped a lot. When there was no choice, i just took the next step even if that was to rest and ice. Thank you Bonesmart people. Xx
 
I love your summary of your progress. Thank you for posting it. :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you. Your perspective helps me a lot.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 9/20/2016
 
In all my challenges I tried to remember that everyone ever diagnosed with cancer would change places with me in a heart beat.

Wow, Marci....that is really powerful, I am putting it in my notebook to read when my motivation get low.
I am facing bilateral replacement in 15 days, I am praying for the strength to make the journey...I will remember people like you who have gone before me. Thank you for your post...reality check for sure.
 
I'm sure your confidence and positive mental attitude has gone a long way to helping you cope with this very challenging experience. Your account is inspiring and will really help others about to tread this path.
Really well done!
Tabby xxx
 
Thank you everyone... it's really been one of the big journeys in my life. xxxx
 
It definitely is a journey very long journey! You summed up everything so good. I'm only coming up on 7 weeks and having to learn to walk again is a definite challenge... You have the right attitude particularly for those of us who have had bilateral knee replacements.
 
Marci, that was a powerful description of your experience and, by extension, the experience of most of us.
Thank you for that.
 
Marci,

That was great!
I am 3 and 4 months out today, have been teaching 5 weeks and living the life of a stiff, however, starting to get some active life going too.
Gotta go do my stretches..
118 ROM on my own both legs right now. 125 pushed. I want 180!! (they do that in the surgery)
 
I'd like to say that I've felt the same things you have. I had bilateral knees done April 4th still have soreness and sometimes left leg feels weak. Doesn't hurt to walk. Stairs are still a challenge using both legs. Still have pain when going from sitting to standing, especially when sitting for awhile.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Sky54 Feel free to start your own thread in the recovery side of knees if you would like. There other members can follow your progress and give you tips and moral support.

@MarciHeff Thanks for the wonderful description of your recovery so far and what you plan to do,next. Keep it up!
 
Yes! The comment about cancer patients being willing to change places in a heartbeat has kept me going many days. Thank you.


Shelia
RTKR - 8/23/16
LTKR - 10/11/16
 
@tpellerin I think you mean 130, not 180 - 180 would dislocate your joint. :) My surgeon puts the knee through a 0 to 130 degree range of motion before closing.
 
180 isn't physically possible. Most people, even those without artificial knees, find 130 to be adequate.
[Bonesmart.org] Marci's Progress - Operation 16/6/16
 
Hi everyone, I'm at four months from my bilateral tomorrow... I have better sleep, 130 on both legs and have reduced my meds to a point of forgetting to take them some time. I could be happy but I'm not recently. I am really struggling with my stamina. The GP has advised that my blood test is fine on red count, sugars, kidneys and thyroid. But I so tired in the afternoon.

Any advice would be welcome... I am I all ears. Thanks in advance xxxxxx
 
I was still exhausted at 4 months and was teaching mornings only. The energy drain from our bodies healing is massive and since your body had to heal two knees you may experience energy drain longer. When I went back to swimming laps at 8 months it was all I could do to swim 4 laps when I normally start with 10 or 15 and work up to 30.
 
My only suggestion is to give in to it to the extent possible, rest when you can, and figure that four months out from such a traumatic event, your body is still recovering. They keep telling us a full year for just one knee. Sounds like you are recovering fine, just still recovering.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom