Bilateral TKR Marci's Progress - Operation 16/6/16

I'm happy you are doing so well. It's wonderful when you start to see a new life without arthritis pain.
 
What good news! You help us all to feel better reading of your successes.
 
Glad you seem to be doing so well. Rest a lot. It allows your soft tissue to recover faster. Seems contradictory doesn't it!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Thank you so much everyone... some days resting is fine, others I feels restless. Happydale I use juicing to keep my iron, protein and vitamins high. They are easy to drink and gentle on the stomach. I really haven't wanted to eat too much cooked food... I smell something cooking and start to feel sick so fresh blended food works for me.
My husband mixes spinach, nuts, frozen fruit and a little honey. If my body needs it he adds some prunes.

Pain management is the single essential thing I focused on. because rest, exercise and attitude stems from this. Today was rest, ice, a little exercise and more rest. Best wishes, Mx
 
Your juicing sounds perfect. I wish I had thought of that when I couldn't eat. I got tired of the protein drinks! Hopefully, you will have good pain control and much rest!
 
Can anyone help? I am recovering well - slowly but that's how knee replacements recover - nice and steady and slowly.. I am really struggling with my TED stockings. I hate them so much - they limit my sleep, feel tight and uncomfortable and now that I am about to have my dressings off both legs in a few days, the horrible nylon of the stockings will be pulling at my delicate scars... a PT said I can take them off for 2 x 30mins a day but that I need to wear them for 6 weeks. Oh of all the challenges that I have overcome so far with the knowledge that I will be fine I feel stuck with a problem of stockings! help!! xx
 
I will be watching and praying for you!
 
How long does your OS say you need to wear the TED's?
6 weeks seems like a very long time, especially if you are able to walk around your house throughout the day.

I took mine off as soon as they (PT or Nurse) left the house, I found them very uncomfortable.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
My OS wants me to wear them for 6 weeks also, but only if I'm going to be doing lots of walking and never to sleep in and only on the tkr leg...they are very annoying, they removed my stitches but I have steristrips so the hose do not bother the knee, I don't wear them that much anymore, my OS is overly cautious, I still can't get my wound wet for 3 more weeks, I guess better safe than sorry!
 
Hi @MarciHeff
I had the same problem with the stockings. My OS wanted me to wear them for 6 weeks and I did comply although they were hard to get on and off and uncomfortable. When I had the dressing and staples removed I asked the nurse for some Tegaderm dressings which are waterproof, and they protected the inscision from the stockings rubbing on the scar, and I could shower. I left the dressings off for a while when I changed them to let the air get at the wound.
There is information on the forum that the TED stockings are not of any benefit, but my OS wanted them in addition to 14 days on Xarelto.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I am doing Teds for just the day and swelling looking great as tkrs go plus they gave me a large with 30" legs (not circumference):-) it's so nice to peel the Ted off at the day's end. My OS said lots won't wear them and half of preventing the giant swollen leg (this happened to me on a scoping) is restrictive socks.
Ted
 
My stockings had a very unfortunate accident (:heehee:) when I returned home from the hospital after both surgeries. They bothered me more than I believed IMO they were helping me. I made sure to do,ankle pumps early on and walk around a little inside my house when using the ladies room. As long as I elevated and iced my swelling was under control. They were so uncomfortable they just had to go.
 
So glad you are doing so well for a bilateral TKA ! Are you up walking around the house several times a day?
I only wore TED stocking for the first 5 days and OS said to take them off once I started walking with the walker around the house 3 times a day, but I suppose every Dr. is different with their regiment.
Best of luck to you Marci :SUNsmile:
 
I wore my TEDS for only two days after I left the hospital. They were so tight below my knees that I felt they were increasing the swelling of my knees and doing more harm than good.

Since their effectiveness in preventing blood clots is debatable, I think it's safe to remove them when you are up and about.
My OS wants me to wear them for 6 weeks also, but only if I'm going to be doing lots of walking and never to sleep in and only on the tkr leg.
@uva55 - I just don't see the logic in that. The TEDs are supposed to prevent blood clots when you are not moving around much. It seems counter-productive to wear them when you are being active.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
Ditch em! I think I wore for 2 weeks. After that put them on in late afternoon/evening when swelling was worse. My went to my thighs.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My doctor didn't make me wear them. Boy, was I happy about that! I took my last aspirin yesterday, blood clot chances must be over with now!
 
My OS wanted 6wks, he got 3-!! I couldn't stand having them against my scar, like it was unhealthy or something.
 
Marci, before I do Knee # 2 in 3 days, (1 month staged BTKR) I've got to hear how you're doing as I'll be sorta in your boat shortly...Teds for life probably for me! I hope your knees were minimally invasive (mine aren't)
Ted
 
I have read and researched the issue of stockings and have now abandoned the stockings. I called the community team to tell them - very kindly that I will carry the risk of DVT, a nurse was not in agreement - but I explained that I just wanted it recorded rather than be persuaded to carry on with them.

I am drinking more water and am walking 3000 steps a day ( not bad for three weeks since my operation ). I have been happy for the last few days as I am now sleeping so much better.... and I am content to exercise gently and kindly on my knees. Thank you everyone for your helpful words again. Ted tpellerin, good luck for the operation. Be patient and kind with yourself. your new life is waiting for you... you are nearly there xx
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom