THR Mar’s New Hip in May 22

@Mar I think, especially for hip folks, most every one had trouble putting on shoes and socks. Unless you have some one around every day to help with that, I suspect that's why many wear slip on shoes of some kind. Depending on weather where you live sandals, flip-flops, mules, or some other kind of no-tie shoes work best IMO. And the Sock Aid is very popular.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
Thanks that’s what I was thinking as I think snow should not be an issue since my surgery is in May of course there is always that occasional storm that can surprise us. I figured something I can just slip on without socks. My husband is not the most graceful person and I can’t imagine him putting them on for me. He would try but it probably wouldn’t work out, lol. I do have a long shoe horn for when I might need to venture out. I should buy some new slip on sketchers. My hip just went out this last December so I’ve not been limping around for years. I don’t even limp now but I have a torn labrum and when it catches it takes my breath away, and then I can’t bear weight for a bit. Weird to never have hip issues and then one day you tear your labrum and hear you need a THR, ugh!
 
Hi Mar,
For what it's worth, my surgeon and the physical therapists advised against any but shoes that cover the feet, no sandals, slides, or flip flops because they consider those types to be trip hazards early on.
I found that my slippers weren't very good either, because they were loose enough to cause me to shuffle along rather than walk heel/toe.
My favorite slip ons were, and still are, Easy Spirit Traveltime mules. They are so comfortable I bought a pair to use as slippers too.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
My OS said don't wear open back shoes, flip flops, clogs or sandals. Too easy to make that one little mistake. I bought new slip on Skechers and used a long shoe horn. I used a sock aid as I wore socks every day since it was winter when I had mine done. I did have a nice pair of sneakers and I put elastic laces in them and I could put them on with the shoe horn. The morning of your surgery tell your feet I'll see you in a few weeks as you won't be touching them for a while.
 
I have a question has anyone’s doctor ordered a CPM machine for a THR. Mine has ordered it but I thought they were only for knees?? It’s going to be about $250 and I’m just not sure what the need for it is. I had it with my first TKR but not my second. I had back issues with my first and not my second and I always wondered if that machine was the reason.
 
@Mar Seems a total waste of your money. Hips do not need a CPM machine. I would seriously question this order. Perhaps an error on the part of staff thinking your surgery is knees instead of a hip?
 
I mostly walk around my house barefoot and my PT is fine with that. I feel like I can assess my gait better, and I don’t need to worry about socks (which I hardly wear anyway), and I’m totally comfortable with that. As for shoes, I’m only 9 days out of surgery but I am wearing slip on athletic shoes when I go out so far.
 
The sock aid was fantastic. My husband took 2 weeks off to be with me, but even with his help, being able to be independent was nice. Slip on shoes would have been a great thing to have(but we are in winter snowy conditions), so it was not something that I really used much. A shoehorn I used all the time though and it was fantastic to have. It takes everyone a different amount of time to get your flexibility back.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
Hi everyone, I just wanted to advocate for shoes, inside as well as outside. Six days after my first tkr operation I slipped in bare feet on my bathroom floor, falling and fully flexing my knee. 5 surgeries later I have still not recovered my mobility. It’s been awful. I just wish I had been wearing slippers that morning, I can only wonder what my life would be like now. But that magical thinking doesn’t help. Please wear a supportive shoe with treads all the time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
I’ve been having increased pain in my knees and hips this past week. Also swelling of the left leg not the Rt hip that I’m having replaced. So I stopped the exercises I was doing to help prepare for my surgery on the 2nd just in case that was causing it. I needed some pre op labs so when I was in I told the scheduler about all the pain I was having they want me to come in and have the left hip xrayed in case the pain is coming from there. It’s just weird to have so much pain in both my knees when one was replaced last April and the other 10 years ago. I also just had my year followup and both knees look great. I can’t tell if maybe it’s inflammatory, or maybe swelling is vascular. It’s just not great timing and making me more worried about my upcoming THR, ugh! At least I will see them and make sure the timing of May 2nd is ok to go ahead with. Just worried if they find an issue with the left hip as well. On my MRI it did show a labral tear on it as well but I’ve never had any pain until just recently. It’s not anywhere as painful as the right. Anybody else worried there eventually going to need all there joints replaced, geese I sure am:(
 
Well thankfully for now my left hip doesn’t look too bad. So my surgery for my RTHR is a go for next Monday. I think I have everything I need for my recovery. I have PT set up. I’m going to use two therapists one who does the lymphatic drainage and then one for the exercises. I will go twice a week. Exercises on Tuesdays and lymphatic on Thursdays. I will keep it very low key as I do have bursitis both hips and I don’t want to exacerbate that. Mostly want to work on getting swelling down as quick as I can and then just mostly stretches that are gentle. I like her as I have used her for my back. She can work on that as well as I suspect this may irritate it as well.
How soon can you usually before you can lay on your stomach? I do have mild osteoarthritis in my lower spine. Getting anxious but know that it’s better to get it done now before I develop a limp that may just aggravate everything thing else. Plus not getting any younger. Will be 70 in 2 months.

Thankfully having had a LTKR last April I know what meds I used and it kept my pain well under control so not too worried about pain. I thankfully am not one that deals with nausea as a rule so praying that continues to be the case. I will stay the night as I typically have low BP issues the first 24 hours after anesthesia.

Here’s one thing I’m not sure about. When I had my knee done they gave me a spinal. Apparently it didn’t work and they ended up putting me under. I had such problems with urine retention that lasted about 8 weeks I assume because of the spinal. So I’m thinking just to tell them to forget that and just give me a general. Not sure I want to chance going through that again.
 
Not much longer now @Mar
I commend you for getting this hip show on the road as I feel that your knees and back will certainly thank you.
Certainly remind your OS about your previous issues with the spinal....I had general and did well.

How soon can you usually before you can lay on your stomach?
Another question to confirm before your release...but it seems most surgeons that impose 90 degree restrictions will also dictate that Sleeping on your stomach is a no-no for at least 6 weeks....some say longer.

The hazard is that in turning onto your stomach and back again, in both cases you internally rotate your leg and THAT is the big 'no-no'! Hips get dislocated doing that. At least in the early weeks.

Thankfully, all the lifestyle modification aggravations post-op are temporary and well worth the benefits from the surgery.

Healing hugs in advance!
 
Thanks Mojo333 I don’t know why I didn’t think about the rotation of turning, lol. Need to switch from knee thinking to hip
 
A few thoughts 3 weeks after right hip THR. I’m wearing slip on Skechers when I go outdoors, but there is a brand called Kizik that I did not know about when I bought my shoes. They have laces but apparently they have some sort of heel technology so you can step into them. It’s hard to describe but they look awesome.
I know there are loads of opinions on PT here but I’m doing my prescribed exercises and stretches in addition to walking and I’m happy with the results. Much of my swelling and stiffness has improved as has my bruising, which was extensive. My ankle and foot do swell minimally during the day but that’s my signal to elevate and ice, which I try to do for at least an hour late afternoon and then again pre sleep. You sound like you have a good plan. Best of luck!
 
Sohowarrior, Sounds like your doing great! I’m hoping for similar. I’ll look into the Kizik, thanks.
 
One issue I have is I cross my ankles automatically. I’ve been very conscious of it lately, trying to stop and still seem to have no ability to stop it if I’m not paying attention. Has anyone else had this issue and any suggestions as to something you may have used that kept you from doing it?
 
One issue I have is I cross my ankles automatically. I’ve been very conscious of it lately, trying to stop and still seem to have no ability to stop it if I’m not paying attention.
You may just find it easy to avoid, naturally, after your surgery.

I want to extend best wishes for your surgery on Monday. I wish you comfort as you wait and hope you’ll join us on the recovery side once you’re resting comfortably and feeling up to it. Hope to see you there soon!
 
  • Like
Reactions: Mar
Layla, thank you. I’m so nervous, but suspect that’s normal, lol.
 
One issue I have is I cross my ankles automatically. I’ve been very conscious of it lately, trying to stop and still seem to have no ability to stop it if I’m not paying attention. Has anyone else had this issue and any suggestions as to something you may have used that kept you from doing it?
I was a constant ankle crosser, leg crosser. Trust me you will be very conscious of wanting this all to go good you'll stop. Yes, you'll inadvertently cross your ankles and then you'll realize what you're doing. It's all about not putting pressure on the joint and the muscles around it. If you want the best outcome you'll adapt. Besides there are some things that your body will let you know not to do.
 
Well here I am just 2 days before my surgery and I am having a major flair up of my bursitis, ugh. Can’t take anything so am icing and doing Tylenol. I wonder if it’s going off things like Move Free and Turmeric. In the past when I’ve stopped taking I do notice more discomfort which is why I keep taking them, lol. I also was doing more exercises in preparation. For some reason I find my body just isn’t ok with exercises even just stretches. It’s so frustrating! So walking it is. My MRI showed mild trochanter bursitis in both hips. Always thought my issues were IT band but maybe not or both. The one exercise that helps with the bursitis makes both my replaced knees angry, I’m finding that a balance can be a struggle. I guess I’m just really scared about this surgery, and even more so then I had going into the knees. I think the restrictions have me a bit overwhelmed. I’m whiny, lol so sorry if I’m ranting.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009

Members online

Back
Top Bottom