THR MammaT’s Matched Set

While on my daily walk today I step on large twig with op leg foot, jammed it into left foot and found myself stagger like a drunken sailor. Luckily I did not fall. Having cane was an asset. Thigh muscles a touch sore, but hip stayed solid. Kept a very sharp lookout the remainder of walk.

Those darn sticks are like snakes - they just like to jump up and bite you! I'm glad you didn't fall and had your cane for some stability. I forsee an evening with your feet up and lots of ice. Take care! Mojo already told me that falling is prohibited by the Bone Smart rules! :heehee:

@MammaT so glad your hip ia doing so well and driving already! I didn't know you have thyroid cancer. You have a lot on your plate right now! :friends:I'm nervous about the driving. I'm able to drive as of March 22 (as long as OS ok's it) and start back to work the 26th (1/2 hr drive from home). I'll be sure to practice in between but it does make me nervous. I hate relying on other people to drive me around. Hope you're having a good day!

Sitting with ice right now. Factoring steps I will get in while putting ice packs away and getting ready for bed I will surpass my steps of 6,743 yesterday.

Thanks for pointing out that rule!

Having a good day @hipster333. I’ve had thyroid cancer since 1996, my type is very slow growing.had thyroid removed and am on what they call suppression therapy. Right now we think we know where a node is in thyroid bed but no sign of spread anywhere else so nothing to do but monitor. Forget about it most of the time except for checks twice a year.

I see os on March 20 for 6 week check up and plan part time return on March 21 and full time April 2. I have started clearing emails and am getting caught up to date on some personnel issues, but mainly clearing emails because the 5,000 sitting there look ugly (after four weeks of not checking!) thankfully, most of the stuff has been dealt with, I just need to figure out where some things stand.

Don’t worry too much about driving-it comes back quickly with a little practice.

@MammaT I've very glad to hear it is slow moving and that it is isolated. Hugs to you. :friends: Way to go on the steps! :happydance:I was only doing 4000 before my surgery and think I'm only up to about 2500 now--need to amp that up! Had my dad drive me to the grocery store today and walked around with the cart--it was nice to do something normal for a change. I'm proud of you for staying away from the email until now and waiting to go back to work--I know it hasn't been difficult.:yes!:

Good morning, MammaT
Hope no damage done with almost fall yesterday.
You sound like you have been sling this recovery thing just right so try not to booger it up.
At one month out...I say you are doing splendidly.
Have a great day!

Getting hair done this morning, and then to dinner and service at church this evening. Since that will be two trips out of the house, I won’t focus on large walk so much. I figure being out for an hour and a half this am and then 2 1/2 this evening will test my energy.

Hip is just its usual morning stiff, no pain if you know what I mean. Going to try my best not to booger it up. Less activity on a given day is ok, because I am still moving forward.

Hope you are rested up from yesterday and have a good day.

@MammaT sounds like an exciting day for you! Hair done and church! :yay: I know how much you've been missing church. You'll have to let us know how the energy levels go. Make sure to be on the lookout for random sticks--no failing!

Well, made it through hair appointment and church tonight and avoided random sticks. Felt good to get out doing some normal things. Sitting in various chairs was interesting. Hip held up well. A bit sore from more standing than used to. Energy was ok, but a two hour outing seems like it was right (actually, I had two separate two hour outings).

I was able to wear jeans tonight-no bother to incision which has healed nicely. Was happy that they fit after all of the inactivity the past month!

Even though I have been through this before, it is really incredible how our bodies heal through this process. Four weeks ago walking to the bathroom was a major accomplishment. Today I did some normal things even if a bit slowly. I am really looking forward to the next few months of continued healing.

Right now back in recliner with my friends the ice packs. Life is good.

Up all last night with abscessed tooth. Able to get it extracted today. I swear that thing was hurting every bit as bad as hip did, only in a much more contained space. Still pretty sore. Hopefully pain meds won’t be needed after today. I was enjoying not taking anything!

However, hip is great today, even with no sleep and walking floors all night.

Ooh, hate a tooth ache. Hope all is better now.
Have a good evening.

Toothache is no more because tooth is gone. Bled a bit more due to blood thinners. Jaw is pretty bruised and some swelling. Oh well, kept it all on right side! Should normalize in a day or so. Was concerned about infection but they gave me a big dose of antibiotic before extraction and dentis who removed tooth is very familiar with os and hip protoco.

On positive hip news, I am suddenly able to sleep on op side, which is really good news since I am a right side sleeper. Hip and leg feel strong. First step or so may be a bit stiff, but after that fine. Walking around house without cane and not limping. Will keep it with me when I go out for a while, but am really pleased with progress.

@MammaT I'm glad you were able to get that painful tooth extracted so quickly! No fun! I know my dentist will not write a prescription for antibiotics for people with hip replacements--I'll need to talk to my OS about this next appt. Yay for sleeping on the operative leg! I've been able to do that for about two hours each of the past two nights and it makes such a difference!! No cane and no limping??? you are rocking this recovery!!!! :dancy::spin::happydance:

@MammaT - glad that tooth was taken care of. Quite envious on the side sleeping. Sounds like you’re doing awesome.

Thanks. I am very pleased, but I want to make sure I don’t push things too much. I know it is still early days and if I push things too much, it can set me back. Just listening to body and increasing activity level slowly. Didn’t do much yesterday due to stupid tooth. Ironic I don’t need anything for pain from hip, but had to take for tooth, but I know that will be very short lived.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Denton1224
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom