• SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE. Starting tomorrow August 6th at 8pm EST, the datacenter network team will implement scheduled maintenance as part of a large scale project to upgrade code on the switching platforms hosting our server. During the upgrade, we expect public and private connectivity may drop intermittently, over the timeframe of 15-20 minutes at most, while the switching platform is upgraded. During the upgrade, no customer impact is expected.

If you are unable to log in, please check back in an hour or so and the maintenance should be completed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Lounge Doctor

Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

Dizzy

senior
Country
United States United States
I don't check in very often now, but when I do, I look for your posts, Mamie. Sorry to see you are still having issues but I hope, and pray, that you find relief with your new healthcare person. Know that you are thought of often! :prayer:

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Happy Easter All,

It is a new blessed day, and to everyone, I wish you the best.

As you may know, my revision surgery was July 17, 2020, and recently they had determined (not the surgeon) that when my pain began in July in my mid-thigh with huge swelling and continued through every post-op visit for months, it was a DVT. For months I suffered the pain, additional swelling, and heat in and around my knee so hot it kept me awake all night. Yet, my surgeon just kept telling me my surgery was complicated and took four hours, and this would go away. It never did. The only thing he said to me was that after three months, it was not legal to prescribe pain meds. Not a word about getting an ultrasound. I had no idea either that is what I needed. Now, it had come to light that I should have been given blood thinners after such surgery as a precautionary measure along with a TED hose when he did not ever give me blood thinners or the support hose.

I wanted to share this all with you because maybe when someone you know, or yourself, goes through a revision or knee replacement, you will know exactly what you should receive for care. I believe my surgeon was looking for an ego boost. Before surgery, we spoke about the procedure being a routine revision with no significant risks. However, at my first post-op, he bragged that he decided t to notch my femur bone so if the appliance slipped again, it would only slip to the notch. I did not know a surgeon can completely change procedure plans without telling you or your partner first.

Forewarned is best. Please listen up; there are risks to every surgery, so ASK. I am going on nine months now with a DVT untreated until my go-to doctor said we needed an ultrasound. I cried daily from sheer hell due to negligence and poor care my surgeon provided. He has changed the direction of my life forever and not to the best. Be careful and be sure about who you trust.

Finally, I feel like taking the Walk Challenge because it can be at my own pace, and I am tired of always resting with my leg elevated, but I do it because you must. This is a prolonged recovery for me, but finally, we see tiny improvements. For us, it is a Happy Easter because, at one point, we were not sure these cots that have damaged my vessels were not going to survive what should have been a difficult but routine procedure. Thank you again for the support; as I know, life would have been so much worse without you.

See You Soon...Take the WALK CHALLENGE, and give back to Bone Smart!

djklaugh

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@Mamie It is so good to hear that you are finally feeling a bit better and have a clear reason for your previous problems. :flwrysmile: I hope that you will be able to heal fully from all the unfortunate experiences and lack of good treatment you have gone through!

Pumpkin

Country
Mamie,
Glad to hear things are looking up for you and your recovery. Wishing you continued slow but sure healing.

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Thank you, @djklaugh and Pumpkin, for your support.
I should not have been so gabby, but it flooded from me in frustration. I wanted those who have had or waited for this surgery to know that serious problems can happen and to research their surgeons carefully. Also, to be sure to ask every question that crosses their minds. Ask the surgeon if they have done this procedure before...we have that right.

I am tired of careful and want my life back. But, my goal is by the one-year mark, another three months; however, not realistic. But, it is the first time since knee revision surgery, that we have some hope of recovery,

Goodnight!
Mamie

Bb

Stiff knee NC

Country
@Mamie: Just hopped on to see how you and your knee are doing. Please tell me that you are better! And that your clots are gone! Seriously, I sincerely hope you’ve turned a corner and are feeling LOTS better. Still thinking and praying for you…

OP
OP
Mamie

Mamie

Country
Hello Stiff Knee. I, too, am continuing to pray for you and several others in this group as a whole. We are all in this together.
Sadly, I am still struggling, and things are no better. It has been over a year now, and I am wondering if my leg will ever heal. My surgeon messed me up badly, changed my file, and deleted our correspondence. My advice to anyone who communicates with a doctor in a system such as MyChart to keep a log of everything you write and what they do as well. I did not keep all of mine, and my dl and my surgeon deleted a lot of our conversation and refused to put it back. Some were useful, and I do wish I had copied it all.
I am having severe pain mid-thigh again as it was shortly after surgery. It was part of my DVT before, and I am praying it has not returned. For now, I am on Warfarin (Coumanidin).

Are you any better? I miss everyone here and knowing

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
swing dancer
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom