Guest viewing is limited

Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

Mamie,
Don't ever discount your worthiness because of your age, ability, disability, or perceived burden you feel you may incur on others. You are worthy because of who you are. You matter. Your life matters.
Praying our God, the One who heals all, will bless you with the strength to endure.
 
Thank you all. Times are difficult, but I try to see each new day as another chance to start anew. If you wake in the morning, it can't all be bad.

I like that saying too, Hip4life.
CricketHip, I'm sure you know that we are all lost without prayers. I feel when I pray, a light leads me the distance. Thank you all for your prayers. Many prayers make my light even brighter.

Jamie, I guess I need to write a blanket letter to all firms. I have many already, with each saying the same in their message. They tell me that my case is good, but my age stops their interest. My life isn't worth much in monetary value. It makes me angry at times. According to them, I have one foot in the ground, but I'm not there yet, and I guess I need an attorney with a backbone and thirst for justice. Taking on CHI probably is intimidating.

But I'll try.

I just read about the lymphatic edema with damaged lymph nodes states high risk for periprosthetic joint infection, which calls for removal of the appliance! But that's if damaged and then have the surgery. Does anyone know if the lymph nodes are damaged during the TKR or revision as mine were, causing severe edema swelling if it also applies? The damage my surgeon caused to my lymph nodes has been huge so far, with swelling. The fluid retention pressure in my leg causes blisters up and down my leg, the skin is separated, and the skin tissue is raw in areas. I believe the skin is beginning to rejuvenate slowly (using Active Skin Repair several times a day), so does anyone know if it means the damaged lymph notes may be healing? I was told that they don't, but I can hope. I guess our bodies are pretty complex.

Thanks!
Mamie
 
Hi Mamie, It is my understanding that damaged lymph nodes remain damaged.. but in your case, from what I understand, is that you had extensive and chronic swelling from an undiagnosed blood clot. My guess is the misdiagnosis and lack of care for that blood clot caused the damage to your lymph nodes or maybe to the vessels leading to the nodes.. if it's the vessels that are affected, then the nodes might be okay. But the swelling needs to be controlled.
You are right, our bodies are complex but also amazing and can recover from so much.
If your blood clot issues are resolved, have you considered finding a lymphedema specialist to help you with the swelling and the skin issues? Consistent decongestive therapy can do a lot in easing issues with lymphedema and the subsequent skin breakdowns.

Most times this kind of therapy is located in Physical Therapy Clinics and also in some Oncology Centers.

Prayers continued..
 
Thank you,Gingerbread. Life is tough enough without being told your age makes you worthlessmin a monetary sense. It's pretty sad to think we are reducednto this statement made by several attorneys. Thank you again for your kind words. Today has been a hard one and reading your encouragement means a lot.
lymphedema specialist
Hello CticketHip
I recently saw this specialist and they have placed me in a higher compression thigh high and today I was diagnosed with a rare blood disease in its early stages. I am under the impression that it was a combination of many things that have affected my life since surgery with so much traumatic results. I have been severely anemic since surgery and taking Warfaren for over a year did not help. Now the treatment comes with a host of side effects with the top one being blood clots. It is a concern since myknee surgery left me with blood clots.

I also learned today that my lymph nodes/system were confirmed damaged and the fluid retention comes from the damages lymph nodes during surgery and further insulted by the clots left untreated for over six months.Many factors that have ended up messing with my life followed my knee revision surgery.

Thank you, for the treatment suggestion. I will call on it in the morning. My leg has taken on another look tonight I have never seen before and I am not sure if it is bad news or new skin cells trying to heal. If you are familiar with skin conditions, I can send a photograph from tonight which is hugely different from this morning. I use Active Skin Repair several times daily. It has healed weeping skin separations.

Mamie
 
@Hip4life
Thank you. I try to keep up my spirit, but I fail at times by allowing the negatives to creep into my head. My journey has been a very long one, and at times I ask God to let me come home where peace and no pain exist. Then time passed, and I realized I would miss so much and needed to keep o fighting. I have so much I want to do, and if only my knee weren't crippling me, it is what I would at times say to myself. Tatt gets me nowhere, so why think it! That stubborn streak of mine often reminds me how lucky and blessed I am in life. I appreciate your kind words and support.

Mamie
 
Thank you, @Sun catcher,

I do not know how I missed your great suggestion, and yes, I have tried to see someone in the UW orthopedics, but a referral is needed. Also, it isn't easy to go anywhere here for a second opinion if they know the original surgeon. It happened to me before, and everyone bluntly said to me that they would not contradict my original doctor. Then day to me, what happened should not have. That does not inspire confidence in someone who takes two stands for the same question and is too spineless to remember the patient should always come first-hang someone's feelings if you see an injustice and can fix it.

Your kind words help my heart and mind get into a better place.

I see you had surgery twice in two recent years. How are you healing? I hope you see this post and forgive me for not seeing and replying to you. Come back and tell me/us how you are doing now.

I keep going in and out of difficult times, and when they are bad, they're awful!.

Hope to see you soon,
Mamie
 
Howdy @Dizzy!

I hope you come back. You have so many lovely ways about your support. Besides, we all would love to see your presence again. This group allows us to feel like family, sharing the truths about our problems so others may avoid the bad challenges that are definitely around any surgery.

Let us know if you are dancing your way through life.

Mamie
 
Remember that you are worth more to God than a whole flock of sparrows. You have my sympathy and my admiration but most important you are in my prayers. God Bless
Carol Anna
 
Good Morning, Everyone!

I hope I have not missed anyone today. I may be out the next two days with a difficult few days in tests. Some day I am praying that answers are found for why my leg just won't heal. Surgeons like mine should not be allowed to operate if they cut and run. Mine was not there for me.

It is now 18 months later, and two days ago, I was put on topical steroids in hopes my knee revision heals. I sure do not want to lose my leg. I worry about keeping it up too long because inactivity may cause more clots. It took one year to be sure the clots had cleared from my knee, and I sure do not want to ever have to inject Warfarin daily for another year. Be careful, my Bone Smart Friends. There is a fine line between resting with elevating your leg and not moving enough to protect yourself from blood clots.

Does anyone know how to get incorrect facts removed from your chart? Mine is full of untruths and can be positively proven. Those untruths harm me when seeking help, but I do not know how to dispute them.

Tonight has been another sleepless night. Insomnia is awful, but I have had it since surgery. I've tried many over-the-counter sleep aids to hot tea and even with a small brandy spike!

My prayers tonight are for everyone suffering from surgeries gone bad, pain that does not ever cut you a break, and the loneliness or emptiness you feel during the long sleepless nights. I will miss you over the next two days while trying to get through the challenges. I will be back and don't want anyone to feel I am ignoring them, I pray while looking for answers.

Here's a little prayer I found just for you all:

Dear God, we place our worries in your hands. We place our sick under your care and humbly ask that you restore your servant to health again. Above all, grant us the grace to acknowledge your will and know that whatever you do, you do for the love of us. Amen.

See you all soon, and I am hoping everyone stays safe!

Mamie
 
Good morning, Hip4Life,

I could not see that I had replied to your comments and wanted to thank you for allowing me to feel I could share the heavy burdens in my heart. I try to be strong and think I manage at most times to stand tall, but it is not always easy. No one ever told me of complications that can happen from knee replacements or revisions. Yet, tonight I read my chart notes and was shocked at its lies, stating that complications were considered at length when I was actually told nothing when I asked. I was told, "there are always risks, but they have never happened on my watch."

If anyone is going through surgery and gets that for an answer, you need...RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! That is not an honest reply, and I deserved the right to have that question answered. Do these awful complications often happen or to everyone...No! But I at least deserved to know so I could research it and make an informed decision.

That is what is dragging me down. I did not know. Even if it is rare, I was told not to worry.

Mamie
 
Be careful, my Bone Smart Friends. There is a fine line between resting with elevating your leg and not moving enough to protect yourself from blood clots.
I totally agree @Mamie - I suffered a pulmonary embolism 3 months after my op most likely due to clots in my leg after the op and due in part to not being active enough when I suffered a set back. There were many other factors that the doctors at the hospital did not take into consideration which helped to create the perfect storm for this to happen to me but imobility I believe was a factor. Its difficult to find that balance of too much or not enough and also difficult if you are unable to be more mobile due to pain or other illness. I am now doing good but still recoverying from the PE and the knee op.
Take care
Carol x
 
Good morning All,

I just wanted to update my status. My surgery for a total left knee revision did not go well complicated by blood clots and leg sores that would not heal. Finally I found a dermatologist who put me on a potent steroid ointment and for the first time in nearly two years there’s hope of healing. Finally, I was cleared of my blood clot that struck my knee after surgery and traveled into my abdomen and chest. No more Warfarin injections in my belly so life’s looking up…Yeah!

My leg is finally beginning to improve with the wound site. And after wearing compression hose 12 hours daily and ace wraps all night, my calf size is at least not the size of an elephant9"". On some days it actually looks skinny! Now if only the thigh and knee will get smaller, but I have hope.

Recently I lost 9 of the 24 pounds of fluid I’ve lugged around since surgery giving me hope there too!
One day at a time for each of us!!

Mamie
 
Mamie.....this is the best news ever. I sure hope this is the turning point for you and you continue to see improvements. You have done a spectacular job advocating for yourself, even though it's taken a long time to get to this point. Your story is a great reminder that we all need to take an active role in our medical decisions, understand everything that is proposed (as well as why it's being proposed), and continue to pursue options if something doesn't go as planned.
 
Wow! Wonderful update, Mamie! :happydance:Thanks for sharing this encouraging news.
May it only get better and better!
@Mamie
 
We will take our victories even if they come slowly and in small installments, right? This brings to mind my father who after years of struggle, finally found a doctor who helped get his medication straightened out and lost about 30 lbs of fluid. He hadn't looked or felt that good in years. It probably is small comfort to know there are fellow human beings who have also struggled with health issues but you are a beacon of hope to those here that patience and persistence can pay off. I pray this is your turning point. Blessings, friend.:prayer:
 
Wonderful news, Mamie! I wish for you continued successes with your recovery! :yes!:
 
Hello Hip4Life.

I am sorry about not replying. I had a bit of a setback in another surgery but its cause comes from my nightmarish knee revision. There are so many jobs we have as a patient in any circumstances. I am sad your dad went through his trouble but greatly satisfied that he found someone somewhere that listened. The key is that he kept trying until someone did. Bravo and thank you for sharing.

I had not realized until recently that one complication from these replacements or revisions as I had, a surgeon can damage a nymph node, changing your entire life forever which trickles down in any other events. Until you've suffered the consequences of such damage, the swelling after surgery is thought to be normal. It may very well be, but now, I will always be suspect and ask questions as everyone should.

What is so awful about the fluid weight that has a medical cause is the way some medical providers treat you when you suddenly are 25 to 0 pounds overweight. I try to explain but some just say, "get it off. It's too hard on your body." Your dad probably heard it too and you just want to rattle them into reality! That's when I remind myself that self-advocacy is a must!

Thank you so much for sharing the story about your dad. I am making some headway...I have been taking two steps forward and one back lately, however, I am still ahead one step! Your share helped me see that. Thank you.
 
Thank you too, CricketHip. I am sorry about not replying to you as well. I am ten days post-op from abdominal surgery and pump replacement and have struggled to heal, but all stems back to my knee revision. Instead of Buyer Beware, there should be s sign stating Patients Beware!
I won't give up and will win again. In a way, I have already.
Thank you for being so kind, and supportive.

Advocacy...feel it, be it, and do it!

Mamie
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom