Guest viewing is limited

PKR Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Mai5ie - I am not sure what that pain might be but it must be frustrating for you considering how well you have been doing. @Josephine may have some insight for you.

Good luck with you sessions at the "leisure centre". It does sound like a good deal! I can't wait unit I can get in my pool. That is my leisure centre!
 
I've never owned a bike in my life, so I doubt I'd be able to ride one, unless it's the stationary sort in the gym of course.
You're the second person in the span of the same amount of days who said that. I wonder what circumstances would result in a kid never riding a bicycle?
Me neither! I had 4 older siblings who were all cycling enthusiasts and my mother couldn't cope with all their cuts and bruises so she forbade me to ever get on one! So I never have. I did learn to ride a horse though but that was short lived. I'd love to do either again but at 72 and 300lbs, it would be a bit risky!
 
I've suddenly developed pain at the top of my kneecap, on the medial side. I can't think of anything I've done to cause it... any ideas anyone? It only hurts when I'm weight bearing.
I'll do my best but first I need to ask you some stuff

Can you tell me the exact site of your pain using this chart?
Please note the instructions in the smaller image

[Bonesmart.org] Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!


[Bonesmart.org] Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!




Now some more questions and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery!
[Bonesmart.org] Mai5ie is finally on the other side!!!!
)


2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your hip and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

6. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please! Reps, sets and session and all that)
 
Hi all and @71Beetle and @Josephine in particular. Thanks for your responses. I'm pleased to say that after a day's complete rest, the pain I described has disappeared. My physio reckoned I'd simply overdone things, particularly the 2 exercises she gave me to help with my leg extension, (resting my heel on a stool and letting my knee 'hang' and lying face down on the bed with my knees and lower legs hanging off the end.) 5 days on , the pain hasn't reappeared. To answer your questions Josephine, I'm not in any pain now and I'm completely off all medication. I elevate my leg whenever I'm sitting, but don't ice it any more. I'm still not in work, but I do my own shopping, cooking, housework etc. I do a weekly session in the gym with my physio, but other than that, I just generally keep active. I've reduced the frequency of the extension exercises, because I'm sure that's what caused the pain. Thanks again for your concern.
 
Hi @Mai5ie - so pleased that the pain has subsided. You are doing a lot in the short time since your surgery. That is awesome! Keep up the good work.

Enjoy your day!
 
Thanks @71Beetle I feel pretty awesome really I must admit, although I'm being careful not to overdo things. I actually popped into work today... just to 'visit' my colleagues! It was nice to see everyone. Hope you're doing well.
 
@71Beetle I feel great Lisa, I really do. I've reached the point where I don't give my knee much thought at all when doing day to day stuff. I'm even beginning to manage coming down stairs properly, even though I'm a bit slow! I start a 16 week exercise program at my local gym next week, after being referred by my physio. I'll have an assessment, then a specific program of exercise written for me. I'm determined to give it a good go because I know I'm not fit really; I'd really like to strengthen my legs. I'm back at work, on a phased return now. So far, I've attended a couple of training days, but I haven't done any teaching. With only 3 weeks of term left I'm going to take things slowly, then I'll be back full time in September, for the new school year. Hope you're making good progress. I see that you have your second knee surgery coming up next week. Best of luck; I hope everything goes well for you. Sue
 
@Mai5ie Hi Sue, So happy to hear that everything is going so well for you. It is great that you have joined n exercise program at your gym. Will you be off for the summer now or do you work throughout? You should feel good going back full time in September given how well you have done.

I find I have made good progress and continue to improve every day. Thank you for the luck on my next surgery. I will let you know how things go.

Chat with you soon.
 
@71Beetle School finishes for the summer on 21st July and I'll be off then until the new term starts at the beginning of September.
 
So glad to hear you are feeling better, and that the setback wasn't for long. It's so good to hear about someone who is doing well. Happy for you!
 
@Mai5ie Hi Sue,
Dropping in to say hello. How is your summer going? Still having a great recovery? I hope so!
Hope you are well!
 
@71Beetle Hi Lisa,
I'm very well thank you. It's remarkable; I feel like a new person. I feel well, have no pain and I'm walking better than I have for years! I've been back at work for a few weeks now, on a phased return, but schools here finish in a day or two for the summer. I'll go back to work full time in September. Hope all is well with you.
 
So happy to hear that you have recovered so well. Congratulations and enjoy your summer!
 
Haven't logged on here for a while. Eight months on, I don't give my knee much thought any more. I'm back at work full time and feel great. My scar has reduced to a thin, white line, about five inches long. I no longer have a limp or any pain. A small area of my knee is still numb, but much better than it was. Kneeling is uncomfortable, so I avoid it!
 
Eight months on, I don't give my knee much thought any more. I'm back at work full time and feel great.
That is great news!!!

That is what a PKR or a TKR is all about---get that life back to normalcy---and not thinking much about the new hardware---instead---concentrating on enjoying your life!
 
Good for you @Mai5ie - thank you for the update. It is so good to hear that everything is back to normal for you!
 
First anniversary of my PKR is almost upon me. I can't believe how quickly the time has gone and how different I feel. Surgery has given me back my life! Yay!!!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom