Guest viewing is limited

THR Made it to the Other Side!

Good morning,
I am 6 months post-op and have some concerns to ask about. I have a message into my surgeon, as well.

I am concerned about possible impingement issues. When I am stretching, laying on my back and bringing my knee to my chest, I feel/hear a popping sensation in my hip. I don’t have pain, it’s just uncomfortable. I’ve had this sensation for a while, but I was hoping that once the muscles stretched out, it would go away. I know I’m relatively early in my recovery, but I don’t know when to be really worried that there is a problem.

Also, in the past month or so, I have had increased, severe sciatica symptoms in the operated side glue/ leg. I have tried gentle exercises, stretching, chiropractor, resting, etc., but nothing seems to work. It has really put a stop to even being able to take walks. I know I have herniated discs and degeneration in my lumbar spine, so I’m not sure if my body adjusting to the implant is just causing those issues to happen or if it’s something like piriformis syndrome. It’s very disconcerting because I was feeling so good and I feel like I’m in more pain now than ever. I do have a dr that I was seeing for my back issues prior to my hip surgery. I just don’t know if it’s too early to run back to her or see if I improve as my THR recovery continues.

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!
 
I'm sorry to read that you are struggling and glad that you've reached out to your surgeon.

We do appreciate your desire for advice, but I must remind you that you are currently registered as a Basic Member. Basic Membership is very limited in terms of forum participation as it’s meant primarily for members who choose only to research and read on specific topics. Feel free to use the Search button on the far right of the blue toolbar above to look for other threads on the topic of impingement.

As we've shared with you before, if you would like personalized advice and answers to questions from our experienced staff, you must choose one of our Insider Club subscription options. As a non-profit organization, we need the small subscription fee to keep BoneSmart available..
 
I'm sorry you are experiencing some discomfort! I see that you are only 6 months post op. I'm impressed you can get your knee to your chest, that sounds pretty impressive to me. I'm no expert but everything I've read points to a 12 month timeline and beyond for the soft tissue to fully recover. When I bragged to a physio that I could bend and put my palms flat on the floor, he gently informed me that being flexible in one part of the body did not mean I had generally good flexibility. Of course I can not do that now but it was interesting to think about what was happening elsewhere whilst we perform certain movements. There's lots of soft tissue at play and it may be as you have said that you are triggering your lower back and that is causing the sciatica. A good physio seems a sensible approach to assess your general balance of strength across the whole torso. That's all I can think of as an untrained sympathiser :)
 
@Leedogmom2 ... I'm sorry you're having concerns. As mentioned above, Basic Members are welcome to search the thousands of threads here on BoneSmart for others who may have had similar problems. It's also possible that someone with these issues could see your post and reply. But because we do not permit members to give medical advice to other members, the best they could do would be to tell you about their particular situation and see if it might relate to what you're experiencing. They cannot offer the guidance I believe you're looking for.

For our BoneSmarties who have specific problems and are seeking advice, the best (and quickest) solution is choosing one of the Insiders Club membership options. You can find them by clicking on your Username and selecting MEMBERSHIP from the drop down menu. Our experienced staff will then be available to help you through this challenge and any other issues that may arise as you continue your recovery.
 
@Leedogmom2 I'm sorry you're still experiencing pain. Impingement could certainly be an issue but I think you have started in the right place by connecting back to your OS. He is aware of all the possibilities, can do the appropriate diagnostics and can help direct you on a step-by-step plan of care. Blessings going forward.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom