Guest viewing is limited

THR Made it to the Other Side!

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Glad you had a good visit with the dentist on Wednesday and it put your mind at ease.
Have great week! :)
@Leedogmom2
 
Thank you, @Layla . Looking forward to my first post-op appt tomorrow!
 
Following my surgery, I was prescribed Celebrex for 30 days. My last dose was Sunday morning. Starting yesterday, I’ve been experiencing a good deal of back pain (which I think is muscle) & more discomfort in my hip. It seems to bother me only when I’m walking….if I’m sitting or laying down, I’m ok. I thought maybe this was due to overdoing with my walking over the weekend, but now I’m wondering if it could be from coming off of the Celebrex (anti-inflammatory). I’m going to bring this up to my surgeon at my post-op appt this morning, but I was curious if anyone else has experienced this.
 
I'll be interested to see what your doctor has to say about that, keep us posted. I'm constantly learning here.
 
I had my first post-op appt this morning with the surgeon. They took x-rays & he said everything is perfectly in place, which was great to hear. My incision looks great & he was pleased with my walking. I did ask about my increase in discomfort the last couple of days coinciding with coming off the Celebrex. He agreed that could be why I have more pain/tightness. He is going to prescribe me a little more & hopefully, things will settle back down. Up until yesterday, I’ve been able to walk around with no problems, but the last couple days it’s been more difficult. I have been resting & icing to help, as well. I see him again in 2 months. :) :-) (:
 
Thanks for the update! Sounds like all is well aside from the discomfort you're dealing with. Hopefully the meds help you remain comfortably mobile as your body continues healing. It's still pretty early into a recovery that can last a full year for most, even longer for some. Unfortunately there are ups and downs early on.
Best wishes!
@Leedogmom2
 
Well….I believe I’ve officially joined the ODIC :sad:. I did some gentle mobility exercises yesterday & today, I’m pretty sore and tight in my hip & thigh. I know it happens, but I’m so upset with myself. I’m icing & resting today as much as possible, and just walking, although I do have pain & tightness while I’m walking, so I’m taking it easy with that, too. I’ve read lots of stories from others on the forum about similar setbacks, so I’m trying to stay positive, but it’s such a bummer, since I was doing so well. Hopefully, I can put this behind me in a day or two.

Thanks for listening to my pity party…
 
We've all been there. I'm in the ODIC too at the moment. Too much increased activity lately and my hip is having a sook.
 
6 1/2 wks post-op & finally slept in bed last night! Up until now, I’ve been sleeping in a recliner. I tried the bed the night before, but only made it 1/2 the night. Last night I made it all night & slept on my side for the 1st time. It’s really these little milestones that help the recovery process. The only nagging issue right now is the tightness in my hip & thigh (sometimes this causes that clicking/rubbing sensation). I’ve started doing some gentle stretching for my quad & hip flexor & that seems to be helping a lot. Also, the more I walk & things loosen up, the better it feels. I know this will eventually work itself out, so I’m just listening to my body & doing the best I can. I’m typically not a patient person, so this is definitely a challenge for me. :happydance:
 
Ho Leedogmom.
At only 6.5 weeks post op, it sounds like you're doing well to me!
I’m just listening to my body & doing the best I can.
That's the way to do it!
Keep up the good work. Healing takes time, but you're on your way and you'll get there. :walking:
 
Hi everyone….wanted to check in with my 8-wk post op update. Things seem to be improving all the time. I’ve been able to extend my walks, little by little. We live back in the woods off the main road and this morning I was able to walk all the way out to the main road for the first time! I’m still taking it slow & focusing on my heel/toe walking. I’ve also been doing some stretching and gentle exercises, which seem to be helping. Again, being careful not to overdo it….trying to avoid the ODIC. lol!

I’m still sleeping in the recliner most nights….some nights I can sleep on my futon for a little while, but usually end up back in the recliner. I’m not stressing about that because I am getting restful sleep, so I’m just accepting it for now.

I still get stiffness & soreness if I sit for too long, but once I get up & move around, things loosen up & feel better. I am having some pain in my lower back, which I’m hoping will work itself out as my healing continues. However, I do have existing back issues, so I don’t know how much improvement I’ll ultimately see.

Overall, I am very pleased with my progress. Sometimes, I think I overthink the way I move instead of just being relaxed and natural, but it’s hard not let that go. I’m sure I’ll get there.

For those just starting this journey, patience is the key. As you’ve probably read on this site, everyone’s recovery is different. Listen to your body and take your time.
 
Glad to read you're doing so well and making steady progress!
I understand sleeping in the recliner, I slept in mine for three weeks post op and crammed my big ice pack in one side and soft pillows on the other side and felt as snug as a bug in a rug! :heehee: The stiffness and soreness is common...and as we age, even moreso.:wink: However, at only 54, you're a young one. The older we get it's like the Tin Man in the Wizard of Oz...O-I-L C-A-N, lol.

Thanks for reinforcing the basics of patience and taking cues from your body as you're healing.
Best Wishes as you continue the journey!
@Leedogmom2
 
Happy to hear that you are so well :loveshwr:
I still get stiffness & soreness if I sit for too long, but once I get up & move around, things loosen up & feel better.

This is great news. You've found the balance between moving and not overdoing it.
 
Nice update & we all need to learn what works for us & what doesn't.
That was probably most difficult lesson for me. I tried to compare myself to others that had the surgery.
Once we realize we are all individuals & have similar issues but need to take different approaches that's the "ah ha" moment.
That's what makes this forum so great, I continue to learn here all the time.
 
Hi everyone!
I had my 3-month post-op appointment with my surgeon this morning. I met with the PA first who said I am “crushing it”, in regards to my recovery. We went over the muscle tightness/pains I feel & she reassured me that these are normal and I’m doing everything I should be to help myself (ice, heat and stretching). When the dr came in, he was also very pleased with my progress. They decided that instead of having me come back in 3 months, I can wait and come back in 6 months, since I’m doing so well.

I’ve been able to add a little more exercise during the week. Last week’s milestone was being able to tackle walking the hill we live on. I’m still taking care to listen to my body & make sure I’m not pushing too hard. I’m still sleeping in my recliner. There are nights when I do sleep in bed, but, for right now, the recliner is just more comfortable for me.

If you are someone who has just started the road to recovery, know that while it is a long road, you will be so happy for those little milestones along the way.

I still use this site as a resource all the time and am thankful to everyone who shares their stories.
 
Great report, @Leedogmom2!!! You are doing recovery just the right way and it shows. Thank you so much for the detailed update for others. This type of communication is so important and it’s why BoneSmart is such a good resource for people.
 
If you are someone who has just started the road to recovery, know that while it is a long road, you will be so happy for those little milestones along the way.

I still use this site as a resource all the time and am thankful to everyone who shares their stories
Hello and Happy Three Month Anniversary!

What a wonderful update, you're doing so well. Thanks for taking the time to share your journey with all and for your encouraging words to those following behind you. May it only get better, Leedogmom!
 
Thank you so much for taking a moment to post an update. It's inspiring for those of us in the early weeks of recovery!

Congratulations on your progress and I wish you every success in your onward recovery journey. Keep us posted as it's lovely to hear about all of the many milestones reached :flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
Back
Top Bottom