THR Made it to the Other Side!

You are doing great!
That stiffness will persist a bit but will eventually subside.
The more confident you get and the more you move about you may feel some aches but don't be disheartened.
It's all part of the process.
:yay:
 
@Leedogmom2 I would ride the electric cart in the grocery store because you don't want to poop out at the far end of the grocery store and be in a ton of pain trying to get back to the car.
 
It's so great to read all the encouragement and different experiences felt. I underwent RTHR on 27th January and recovery is going pretty well. I'm ding ny daily exercising 3 times a day and taking my prescribed meds. Still have my compression socks on for at least another 3 weeks minimum but overall seems to be going well.
The right of my upper thigh is very sore to tough and feels like I've overdone a gym session with the stingy pain. I also have the burning feeling so was good to read the reasoning for this.
I'm currently using one crutch around the home but will be using two when venturing out for the first time later today.
My biggest concern and worry is the occasional muscle spasm/movement in the front of my thigh whereby the muscle moves into the groin causing a huge amount of pain in that area and down my leg. The only way to release the muscle is to grit my teeth and move my leg encouraging the muscle to move back to its original place where the pain goes immediately and I can move the leg once again. Not sure if this is a normal part of the process but it's the only thing worrying me to date.
I have wound check and physio follow up on 13th , until then it's my daily exercises 2-3 times a day and non removal of my wound dressing until the appointment.
 
That's really great to hear @Leedogmom2. Two weeks is quite a milestone... let's hope the worst is behind us now! :banana-santa:
A "walk in the car" sounds like a great idea....Just a change of scenery can do wonders!
 
How are you getting on now @Leedogmom2? It's our three week anniversary tomorrow so I hope things are going well for you. :flwrysmile:
 
Can you believe it’s been 3 weeks @Cillacat?! I’m still progressing pretty well. I’m able to move around the house without my cane. It’s been very cold here, so I haven’t been able to walk outside, which I would love to do. I’d much rather have the weather you are having :snork: The last couple days I have been having some soreness in my low back, which I’m thinking is just from my muscles realigning with the new hip. A couple times a day, I walk around the house, which helps with the stiffness.

I hope you are doing well….how has your knee been? Any improvement?

I see my surgeon for my 1st follow up appt on the 18th and am looking forward to hearing what he says about my progress.

Take care of yourself!
 
I’m able to move around the house without my cane.
Be careful not to give up the cane too quickly. You want to be sure your gait is normal before you do or you could develop a limp. I used my cane for 6 full weeks after surgery until my physical therapist said I walked better without it then with it.

You are still very early days in this recovery, I encourage you to take your experience here to the next level by joining The Insiders Club -- since Basic membership does not include access to certain areas or the ability to perform some functions on the forum.

As an Insiders, you will have a more complete BoneSmart experience that includes guidance from our staff regarding your specific questions and concerns throughout your recovery. In addition to opening access to all forum features, the Insiders Club also offers services such as assistance in finding a surgeon, helpful downloads, and access to our BoneSmart Library of videos and in-depth articles to help you navigate your joint journey. Insider Club members have a special IN icon in their profile box (you can see it in mine and also in ElenorG's).

If you're interested, we'd love to have you join us! Please use this link: https://bonesmart.org/forum/pages/membership/
 
Congrats on being on the other side! it just goes uphill from here!

I also had the same muscular pain you are describing. Be patient and give it time. You had a major surgery, and you also had a major injury no one realized you had. I also(like you) was so worried when I started to suffer from various new pains and aches post surgery. Things will get better, remember your body needs to adjust to the amazing surgery you just had the chance to have. Everyone also heals at different rates, so how quickly or how slow things may feel, is rarely an issue. Be patient with yourself and that new joint, you will get there I promise!
Wishing you all the best in your recovery. Excited to hear about the new ventures you will get involved in.
 
The last couple days I have been having some soreness in my low back, which I’m thinking is just from my muscles realigning with the new hip
Yes, for sure. As our joint deteriorates, our gait changes. Then post op, as our body adjusts to the prosthetic there is a change in our gait once again which can cause some temporary aches as often as a result of favoring our healing leg. Sitting around more than usual can contribute to the lower back soreness. Good that you're taking those walks around the house. Check out "The Activity Progression for THR" in the Recovery Guidelines as a rough gauge of activity likely possible at three weeks post op.
Good luck with your appointment on the 18th! :)
 
Good to hear you're going so well @Leedogmom2. Wise words about using the cane i think... or not using it!. I was told by my surgeon before surgery not to stop using an aid till at least 4 weeks, and if any limp at all then to keep using it till i can walk completely normally. I've had a bit of soreness in my lower back too but like you, find walking around a bit helps. I guess we have to remember it is only 3 weeks! My knee is settling a bit... i did see a PT about it this week and he said it sounds like the femoral nerve is quite irritated and that can refer down to the knee. Plus the bruising around my knee looks like finger prints from whoever was contorting my knee during surgery.... glad I was asleep!:heehee: The Insiders club sounds interesting @benne68. Can you still post to this forum?
 
I’m so frustrated….please help!

I will be 4 wks post-op on Thursday. About a week ago, I started having some tooth/gum discomfort, due to receding gums (ongoing problem). My surgeon’s protocol is to wait 4 months post surgery to have any dental work or cleanings done & also requires prophylactic antibiotics for 2 yrs. I was able to get an emergency dental appt tomorrow because my pain & discomfort is continuing (my concern is infection). However, when I called my surgeon’s office to request the antibiotics they reminded me about the waiting period. I stated that I did know the policy but that I wanted to have the dentist check to make sure there wasn’t any type of infection. Now I’m waiting for the nurse to check with the surgeon to see what he says. I’m afraid if I hear back too late, I’ll have to cancel my appt. I just want to have peace of mind that it’s not something I need to worry about.

Has anyone else experienced this or something similar? I told my husband that I can’t be the only patient that has encountered this situation.
 
Has anyone else experienced this or something similar?
I am sorry you have the stress of worrying about this so early into the healing process. I'd advise you wait for your surgeon to weigh in, even if it means re-scheduling the appointment. I'm sure your dentist's office will be able to squeeze you in if it's an emergency.

Your best bet in finding similar situations is to use the SEARCH at the top right of the page, typing in key words such as "dental issues post op" "dentist" "teeth issues" Trying different words, or combinations of words will pull up different threads for you to read if interested,

Best Wishes, I hope you hear something soon and you're able to receive some reassurance from your dentist.
 
Thanks, @Layla! My surgeon’s office just called. They sent in a prescription for me to take tomorrow morning before my appt. The dr is still strongly encouraging that, unless it is an extreme emergency, I wait out the 3 additional months until I have anything done, especially if it’s an issue with my gums. I will rest easier at least having my dentist evaluate my issue. If it’s something that can wait, I’ll tough it out.
 
Oh my goodness @Leedogmom2... what terrible timing for you! Very good that you were able to get the antibiotics without any further delay though. I do hope that your dental visit goes well and that you don't need any work done, but if you do have an infection, obviously you have to deal with it but you are doing all the right things and you will be well protected with the antibiotics. Please let us know how you go and in the meantime I will be crossing all my fingers and toes for you!:curtsey:
 
I was able to see my dentist this morning and, thankfully, there is nothing serious going on with my teeth. My gums have not receded any more, nothing loose, and most importantly….no infection! . She did have to gently scrape off some plaque that was built up where the roots are partially exposed & she hopes that will help with the discomfort I’m feeling. She totally understood that I could not have anything invasive done, and thank goodness, that wasn’t needed anyway. . I now at least can stop worrying about that & get back to my hip healing!

I hope everyone has a great day!
 
Thank you, @Cillacat ❤️. I hope you are doing well & your knee is improving for you. Happy one month anniversary!
 
Happy one month anniversary to you too Leedogmom2 :martini: It's amazing to think it is already a month!

I'm so pleased you didn't have the celebration marred by major dental infection! My knee is definitely improving thank you but I am really trying to be very cautious in what I do. Slow and steady goes against my nature but it is paying off. I hope you are continuing to move through your recovery with more ease as time goes on, and that your mouth isn't too sore. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom