Bilateral TKR Made it to the other side

I slept almost the entire night on my side last night, week 6, but I was exhausted from 2 nights of sleep deprivation! Unfortunately it seems like getting back to normal where sleep is concerned is going to be some time coming!
 
It is certainly the area that is the most problematic for me at this point.
 
I have been able to nap for an half hour or so on my side - Lefty over Righty.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
good for you Nensi - I bet even that half hour was a nice change of pace.
 
I still can't sleep on my side reliably. I can get comfy on my side, and I can fall asleep, but after a few hours I need to move my legs and my left knee gets cranky. That's when I flip onto my back, haul up the Lounge Doctor, and sleep that way the rest of the night. I get good enough sleep that way, but have yet to sleep the whole night on my side. :hissy:
 
Week #2! One whole week post op. Time just marches on and I think my knees are starting to really heal at this point. I say that because I am starting to feel the itching that accompanies what I understand is typical of the incision site and dry skin. I still have my honeycomb bandages on so there isn't a whole lot I can do at this point until I get them off and the incisions are completely closed. Went for my first outside walk last night! ( down to the mailbox!) it was a warm summer evening. The smell of fresh mowed grass and lavender in the air was so refreshing. After I elevated and iced. I think that was the best PT as I was able to sleep 4 hours straight! A little tight this morning but only needed a Tylenol. Looking forward to all week #2 milestones!
 
Wow! These first weeks are filled with FIRSTS, aren't they? I am looking forward to a first walk outside this weekend.
 
You go girls!!! Your positive attitudes are inspiring! Enjoy those first outside walks -- it really helps you to start feeling better to get out in some fresh air.
 
So here I am at the end of week #2 and if week #1 was the week of milestones, week #2 has been the week of "I think I'm just along for the ride" on this one! When I'm feeling good- doesn't mean don't take your meds on schedule. When I'm feeling strong- doesn't mean keep going around the block again. Just because I don't think it's that swollen- doesn't mean that elevating and icing can wait. So, no drivers seat for me! Time to sit back, follow the instructions and let these knees drive me!
I had my post-op today. No more honeycomb bandages so I got my first look at the incisions and they look pretty good. Not as "Frankensteinish" as I imagined them being. Got very good remarks. Then on to PT with a light day and home to ice and elevate. Yes, time to remember I'm the patient still!
 
Yes. After the first 10-12 days of utter misery, it's so easy to overdo once you start feeling a little better. Im exactly there with you.
 
It sounds like you are doing well, especially for having a bilateral TKR! I'm just 2 days ahead of you with my RTKR. I couldn't stand to look at my incision with the staples so I kept them covered even though I didn't need to. I also didn't watch when the nurse took them out today.
I hope your PT went well and you got your rest.
 
After they took off the pressure bandages they put on the honeycomb ones so I never got to see the actual incisions until today. My OS uses dissolving stitches and the permabond glue so no staples. I will have my husband take a picture. My PT guy has started me out very slow working a lot on stretches ( heel slides and quad presses) no push over though. He wants me to get as much rom as I can.
 
Congrats on getting the bandages off -- don't overdo it on the exercises.
 
You've got a great attitude kare2dare.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
From reading all the recovery storis of this past year on this forum I was prepared that the first 2 to 3 weeks would be the toughest. I found that once home I felt psychologically better but because the medication was reduced, a lot harder coping with pain and interrupted sleep.
I intend to let my OS know when I see him next week . So his future patients get sent home w adequate doses.
I think many of us try too much too soon and end up in the overdid it club.
 
Sounds like you're doing well and have a great attitude.
 
My husband went back to work today- one more sign that time marches on. Not to worry though, my mom has come to watch over me. She lives about 6 hours away from me so this is the first time that she has seen me since the surgery. She is amazed at how well I am doing. I think she was concerned that I would need more help (standing, using the bathroom, dressing etc) she is a great cheerleader but also a Mom that hates to see her baby in pain! it will be fun having her here, we have a lot of fun together!
 
That's nice to have companionship, I have found this time with my kid- caregivers to be really rewarding.
 
Just wondering- any one whose incisions were closed with dermabond- what to do when the edges come up and they start to poke? I don't want to pull at it because it is still attached to the incisions but the edges get caught on my clothes and blankets...
 
Day 21! Hard to believe it's been 3 weeks! Good news! I slept almost 5 hours straight last night! What a difference sleep makes! I'm a little stiff this morning- no wonder! I have PT later so I'm sure they will loosen me back up!
 
Back
Top Bottom