THR Made it to the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice work on the shoes and socks!! :thumb:

I hope the piriformis stuff is temporary and that your OS will have some ideas about what might help.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Had my 6 week follow up yesterday. It was a long 3 hour drive just to take images and talk with the OS for 3-4 minutes! He wants to see me again in 3 months. I am hoping he will let me take images here locally, have them sent to his office, and consult with me by phone next time.

He said the implant looks good, that I still look a little pale, to him (from blood loss), but my wife thinks I am looking more normal than ever. Informed me that the stiffness I have from sitting for prolonged periods may stay with me the rest of my life (due to the traumatic fracture injury I endured). He thought that I would be feeling really good and perhaps back-to-normal in about three months time. He did not have anything to offer in terms of dealing with my pririformis pain. He said it should just go away with time as I get stronger and rebuild muscle mass. All in all it was fairly uneventful....but I guess that's what one hopes for after a THR!?
 
Sitting too long sets me up too Andy, I am happier walking but then I run out of energy... Good to be reminded of Jo's energy drain diagrams..

It takes a long time to build the stamina and muscles, I have a very good article I must post about collagen and cross linkage (when I can find it) it explains a lot about the process of deep healing.

Take care xx
 
Smja, If you find that article on collagen and cross linkage please do post! I'd be interested in reading it.
 
Will look for it over the weekend Andy, take care...

I also have a very good interactive 3D application called 'The Muscle System Pro III' by 3D4Medical.com it is awesome for educating oneself about an area that may be causing grief. You can drill down through all the muscles of the body and see the attachments... It is a really cool application. I refer to it quite a lot. It shows me what muscles have been affected with my surgical approach.

My husband has a qualification in sports massage and used to look after the State netball, soccer teams (girls) as well as an 'A' grade Aussie rules football team, and he uses it to show them where their injuries are. :)
 
Sounds like a good follow-up visit. Did you get any phase II exercises to do? Have you looked at the information in the BS library about piriformis issues? Maybe there are some stretches in there that you can do now that you've been cleared by your OS -- or does he suggest continued rest for that issue?

Take care,
Cardie
 
Cardie, good suggestions, thanks. I was recently wondering (sorry if it sounds stupid to ask) what good it would do to stretch my piriformis muscle since it has been surgically released from my femur? My understanding is that it no longer performs any function. My OS did not recommend anything for this pain other than continued muscle development (I had experienced a lot of atrophy over the last year).
 
Hi Andy

Just sent you a pickie via email of the Piriformis.. This is from the application I referred to above.

Not sure how to stretch it if it was released?


Cheers
Sandy
 
Hi Andy, I had the same experience with the piriformis "waking up" at about 6 weeks. Shooting pain when sitting that sometimes took my breath away!

The good new is this will ease. The muscle was stretched during the procedure. I was not release to do a full piriformis stretch when this first started. But I found ham string stretches both lying down on your back and while sitting helped to ease the spasm. If you are released from your restrictions try pulling your knee into your chest while lying down. This is a good piriformis stretch. Ice or heat on the area works as well.

Jo referred me to this link on Piriformis in the Library. It shows the exercise as well.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
 
Andy

Uneventful is good!

They certainly know how to charge for 3- 4 minutes of their time!

You sound as if you are doing just fine
 
Yes, everything with the new hip feels just great. Range of motion feels almost normal. The pririformis continues to hurt on a daily basis. In the weeks proceeding my THR I was experiencing some pretty intense "referred" pain, which radiated along the outer quad (just above the knee) and became a very intense burning along the entire upper section of my knee cap. I attributed this to AVN related pain. But this burning sensation has returned again. I am wondering if it was related to my piriformis the whole time and not from the AVN weakened hip joint. I sure wish I could see into my body and identify what the source of this pain is. I will try the hamstring stretches.
 
You are still somewhat early in recovery from your surgery. It is not unusual to have some aches and pains, especially as you start feeling better and becoming more active. What is your regimen for rest, ice, elevation, and pain meds?
 
I have been very bad at checking in. But, I am happy to report that I feel really good. The piriformis pain that had haunted me for so long is gone, gone, gone :yahoo:

I am sleeping great at night, and can even sleep for long periods on my new hip. When I sit for more than 3 minutes, or drive around, my leg is pretty darn stiff (every time) once I stand and start walking. But after a couple of minutes it loosens up really nice and I start walking normal. I'm not the strong young guy I used to be, but after the last year of pain and immobility, I like where I am. I hope you all are doing great. Now time to snoop through everyone's threads to see how things are going. Andy
 
Andy,
Glad to hear things are going so well for you and good to hear from you. Sounds like you are right on track with your recovery I like your line "I like where I am". Most of us feel the same way, even though we go through a lot with our recoveries it is so much better than the "before" pain we had. Take care.
 
Hi Andy,

Great to hear from you and it's fabulous news you are feeling so good!

Wishing you all the best...stay in touch!

Sarah
 
Glad to hear that your piriformis has settled down and I do hope that as the months continue to pass you may feel a bit "younger and stronger!!" :yes 4:

Take care,
Cardie
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom