THR Made it to the other side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good advice as always OldKnees :):):):):
 
Hi Andy,
Sounds like the various side effects were worse than the surgery. Keep on that ice machine. I went through 180 pounds of ice in the first week. I give credit to my wife's constant help keeping it going, that kept me from having any significant swelling or pain. How's it going these days? No need to rush to answer, REST UP and feel better.
dweezle
 
Congratulations on your new hip Andy! Hope your recovery is proceeding smoothly and that you are now able to walk around without difficulty. Looking forward to hearing more from you. And thanks for letting the folk here know I was (and am) OK :) :friends:
 
Hi Deb
I've been distracted the last several days. I am feeling ok. The only real complaint/pain I have is in my glut (where the OS surgically released my piriformis muscle). It was damaged from my original accident more than a year ago (which led to my THR). It keeps me from walking without a limp. If it was not for that I would be walking very normal already. The OS was able to correct my leg length (it was 1.5 " off prior) :yahoo:

I am slowing down/stopping my pain meds (Norco) and it is leaving me with some crummy withdrawal pains (achy and lethargic). Still cant put my own sock on --- what about you?

Andy
 
Hi Dweezle,

Yup, some of the side effects were worse than the surgery. I have no real major pains any more. The stinging sensation while moving my leg is gone. The intense throbbing in my mid thigh when standing up is also gone. Just a very low grade achy feeling remains in the area. As I mentioned above, I have a pain deep in my glut that is holding me back from walking without a limp.

Very happy to report that I can sit and stand now without the old AVN associated hip pains :yahoo:

I am now trying to come off of pain meds. That's not fun. Feeling yucky.

Thanks for checking in!
 
I forgot to mention, those intense spinal headaches lasted until the 4th day after surgery --- ouch! :cry:

And since I lost a lot of blood during surgery, I am still feeling kind of "punked out". I am a bit pale, and have dark circles around my eyes (which I've never had before). The OS said it could take 6 weeks or so before I recover from the blood loss. Has anyone else experienced this?
 
It's a bit early to be cutting down on the pain meds Andy. Do you have anything as a substitute? You need to stay ahead of the pain to get your mobility back.

Regarding the 6 weeks to get over the blood loss comment - I did loose a lot of blood during my op but in general it takes 6 weeks to get to where you are feeling like you have recovered from the procedure - blood loss or not.

Hang in there!
 
Hi Andy,

I also took Norco after my surgery and transitioned to extra strength tylenol (Acetaminophen) 2 500 mg pills, you can take them every 6 hours according to the bottle. I sometimes took half a Norco at night just to make sure I was comfy.... I was also taking an anti-inflammatory for the first couple of months.

How are your hematocrit & hemoglobin levels? I had a re-check at 6 weeks after taking iron supplements on a daily basis and eating iron rich foods like spinach salad and prunes. My levels had been low coming out of the hospital as well.

The sock... that will come very slowly in a few more weeks. Don't push it because it is a bit of an awkward angle while you are trying. You might get a little plateau at the same spot you were in prior to surgery and then notice a tiny bit more movement towards it.

Glad that your AVN pain is gone and I do hope the glute pain will improve in time as well. Some of the limp might also come from glute muscle weakness in addition to the discomfort you are experiencing from your piriformis.

Take care,
Cardie
 
Jaycey - how long should I be taking my pain meds? I'm really not in pain anymore. The swelling is gone. I am sleeping through the night. The only pain I experience appears to just be a muscle weakness (as Cardie suggested) in my glut, or it could be from the surgical release of my piriformis, and only when I am walking on it (which seems to be a natural response regardless of the cause). I hate to keep taking the Norco, plus I will be out of my first prescription rather soon and I don't plan on refilling the second one.
 
Andy

I think you are progressing really well.

It is only 2 weeks since your op- that not long at all.

The pain from the AVN has gone which I know can be pretty intense. the muscle weakness in the glut will surely strengthen in time. Patience is the order of the day!

We should never really compare but..... I had my first replacement due to AVN in April and now it feels fantastic - I would never know it was not the original. The second one was 8 weeks ago and there is still some discomfort but I feel there is progress happening.

So I am saying - give it time, you will surely get there.

any questions? - feel free to ask!

regards

Dave
 
Andy, I think you are making a big mistake not refilling the Norco. There "MAY" be a time when you will have a need for them, especially as you start being more active. This is not a bad thing, just better safe than sorry.

I would much rather have them handy "just in case" rather than have none and comes a time when you "MAY" really wish you had refilled them.
 
You're the best judge of how long to take pain meds. Try without a bit and see how it goes.
There are no rules about it (except when Momma Hen says so! :th_heehee:)
 
I am feeling stronger, and gaining in my ROm every day. Hip joint is feeling good. I can put my own socks on, but it is a struggle, yet it gets a bit easier each time. I am sleeping pretty decent still as well. Rolled on to my new-hip side for the first time in a long time :thumb: I will refill my Norco prescription, as nanamac suggested, it's a good reason to have them on hand if needed. I've been doing a lot of walking the past few days (shopping with family) and my legs are getting exhausted and a bit sore from the exercise, so a Norco here and there has helped. All in all, I am having a very smooth recovery. Thanks for the feedback everyone!
 
Good progress Andy, good to hear you are doing so well :)

Ice will help those sore muscles also!

Sandy
 
Jo, I just found your article on energy drain...it makes total sense. I have been going through these spells of complete fatigue and thinking it was caused by weening off of pain meds, loss of blood during surgery, but I think it may this, or a combination of all of the above. Thanks for that.
 
Andy - I'm so glad to hear you are doing well :) As for me - I too am doing pretty good - can't put my socks on without the Sock Putter On-er ;) It may be my BF for a long time. But I'm walking, doing my exercises, and today got to see my bedroom (on the top level of my house) for the first time in about 5 months! I'm sticking with my rented hospital bed for a while longer though - those stairs up are hard to negotiate with crutches and there is no bathroom on that level .... still I am amazed at how well I am recuperating. I'm still taking pain meds at night as my muscles ache a lot after a day up and about though I have stopped the morphine and have gone back to Vicodin and during the day I just take Ibuprofen (prescription strength).

Our bodies are amazing though - think of everything folks on "the other side" have been through - pre-op pain and stress, 1 or 2 major surgeries at a time, post-op rehab and recovery - we're all having to repair and rebuild damaged muscles and tissue, rebuild bone mass around the implants, rebuild blood supply to varying degrees, regain strength. That is a lot of work for a body of any age! No wonder we have days of low energy and low spirits - especially when you've been use to being active and productive - it's frustrating when our bodies don't respond like we remember they use to. So patience is the watch word and perseverance and persistence are also necessary.

Hope you have a lovely Holiday - and a smooth and uneventful recuperation. :xmrolleyes:
 
Haven't been on here in a while so I thought I'd better check in. This last Monday marked my 5th week postop. Here is my update:

Pros: I can put on socks and tie shoes with ease. I walk 50% with no cane and 50% with (mostly to keep from over doing it). Can easily ride the recumbent bike for 20 min. Sleeping well through the night. Able to sleep for short periods on new hip side. No swelling. No untypical tightness.

Cons: Still have days when I feel drained and a bit achy - not sure if this from recovery or am actually fighting off some type if illness. Having pain in my glut area when walking (I think it's from having my piriformis muscle surgically released during surgery). Just a few days ago I started experiencing sharp nerve pains originating at the piriformis area and shooting down the back of my leg. Only happens when I am sitting and doesn't last very long. But when it happens it takes my breath away and makes my face wince.

I get to see my OS next week for my 6 wk follow up so I'll be able to run these "cons" by him. Hope everyone is doing well and starting their 2012 off on a healthy and happy note!
Andy
 
Andy, your report sounds really good to me for just 5 weeks out. Keep it goin', guy!!!
 
Hey Andy,

Great to get an update from you, I was wondering how you were going - will write soon.

I am sure your OS will have answers for your 'cons'.

I have peculiar aches and pains and get all 'thingy' and wonder what it is and what does it mean.....

Hang on.... Just got one now and I am sitting up on the bed writing this doing nothing....

Gosh our bodies are miracles aren't they?

Take care, thinking of you
xx Sandy
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom